Up your way in August

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Reel Aggressive, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Hello All,
    This summer I will be taking a ridiculously long trip.
    I fly out of Tampa FL to Southern California to meet my family.
    From there we are taking 1 week motorcycle trip to Sturgis South Dakota.
    After 3 days in Sturgis we are headed across the top of the US directly for the Washington coast. After we reach the coast we are headed down the West coast back to California.

Now that I have given you my trip plans I wanted to know where I should stop to go fishing? Being a Floridian I have not a clue as to where I should begin.

I will be traveling with a 8wt and 6wt rod combos.

Any recommendations would be great.

2. Well...lemme help you out there matey.

Since you will be in Sturgis, head into the Black Hills for some fishing. For streams there is Rapid Creek and Spearfish Creek. There's also a lot of lakes if you are into stillwater; pactola and sheridan as well as the waters inbetween. Fish Rapid from across the road from Pactola or near Rapid City golf course. There's also a nice stretch of water in Custer state park called french creek...worth checking into.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  3. Thanks for the recommendation.
    What do you guys consider the fish of choice?

Down here Tarpon is king. What species should I be looking for in the North East?

4. Not sure what to target in the north east, since that's 3,000mi away. But August is prime time for pink salmon. Search around the forum for some threads on that. Lots of info on it. Super fun fishery.

5. In the Black Hills, trout are the fish of choice....rainbow and brown.

Out here, August in WA, the saltwater fishery (salmon) will be heating up.

6. Spend a day on the Bighorn, just 30 minutes from I-90. Then go fish for pinks.

7. Fish the pinks
    You'll want to move here