upper NF Lewis report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul_, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    I fished the upper NF Lewis today, with mild success. Started at the Eagle Cliff bridge and fished down a 1/4 mile. I caught 3, 15"-16" bows, a couple dinks and had one larger fish break off. If my casting wasn't so pathetic I would have done a lot better. The wind was playing havoc with my casting. All the fish were caught on buggers. The next time I go up I'm bringing a faster sinking line. I think this might help on the catching aspect side of things. I hit a couple places 10-15 miles above Eagle Cliff where I've done well in the past for smaller bows and cutts, but the water is still a little high and the fishing was slow.

2. 4_weight

4_weight New Member

Thanks for the report. I had hoped to go up last week but the wife had other plans for me. So by the sounds of it, it might be mid August before the water drops enough to be productive? I also have several spots up higher that I am anxious to get in to.
    I did manage to get up to Coldwater Thursday night and fished from about 6:00 to 9:00. Perfect night. Light wind, slightly cool and the fish were fairly active. I caught 2 fish off the bottom (12 & 14" CT), and when the fish started surfacing, switched to my floating line with nymphs and got 3 10-12" Bows. I would love to have stayed but started day shift on Friday.
    Thanks again for the report. I've been learning or atleast trying to learn the tricks to the Lewis for ten plus years now and while I'll probably never perfect it I'll always enjoy the several times throughout the Summer and Fall I can try.