Upper Nisqually River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Levi Chipps, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Levi Chipps

Levi Chipps New Member

Upper Nisqually River Fly Fishing. Can anyone help me determine if this is worth while? I have been there 3 times this year and have not had a bite??

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

When you say upper, do you mean upstream of Tacoma Powers hydroelectric dams on the Nisqually? I think that turns opaque from glacial melt in hot weather like we've been having. There are fish there and in Mineral Creek, but I think they are small.

Sg

3. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I have gotten a few swinging sculpins in the rippled fast water down by Mounts Road, the military side. I have also gotten a few higher in the river system, but nothing very big. I often catch the same size fish in much smaller rivers around the area.. Here is one I caught recently...

Attached Files:

4. not really much in there

5. John Weston

John Weston Member

fished it twice last week on the fort lewis range. nothing. had a report on barrier dam from the other day, nothing. have no clue whats going on. looks like they are stageing and getting ready to spawn, I have no clue, fish are just funny and do there own thing. done with the rivers for awhile. getting ready for the pinks, they are a coming.

Outlaw

6. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

Fished it last weekend it was pretty dead just not a good trout fishery.

7. Levi Chipps

Levi Chipps New Member

I have been above Ashford at the first road that you come to. Kernahan Rd. It is very dirty from the runoff. I guess that I am too high. Any Suggestions that are open now close to Puyallup?