Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

upper yakima canyon

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  troutman101 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any experience fishing the upper canyon on the yak (b/t thorp and the teanaway). Especially if it sees the same kind of bwo action as the lower canyon. I've only been fishing the yak for a year or so, and have fished the upper river a few times with little luck. Since finding some good spots in the canyon, I head directly there every time I make it over the pass, opting to fish the productive water I know versus the unknown water. I'm not asking for any secret spots, I'm just wondering whether the upper canyon has similar hatches to the lower canyon. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have floated from the State ramp below Cle-Elum to the rafting pull out above Thorp in the summer. Its really nice but seems that private property limits wade access.

I suspect the hatches in the areas you mention are about the same as in the lower. The farther up you go the colder it gets and in my experince is the hatches in the upper sections ( golf course, west nelson etc)are a week to two weeks behind in the spring or a week to two weeks ahead in the fall (of the lower)

#3 ·
I agree with Scottr, different temps between upper-lower drive hatch action. I'm heading to the Yak on Thursday with an eye on wading parts of the canyon, which I've fished only a few times.

Any suggestions on where to start?? Any advice on productive water would be appreciated.

Fish On! :EEK

#4 ·
OFG,
In my rather limited experience, it seems as if the type of water is the most important thing. I look for soft water below a riffle or faster water. I have also had good luck in softer water near some rip-rap banks. I have found pods of fish in a few locations in the long run just upstream of the umtanum campground, up to and through the first bend. I have also hit podded fish just upstream of the slab, and below mp 19. Usually, I just find the right type of water, and sit and watch a few minutes to see if any fish are rising. Last time out, the fish were rising very sporadically, but they were receptive to a 20 sparkle dun. Looks like you should have some good fishing weather, post a quick report if you have time. Tight lines!

LDR

#5 ·
I fish this stretch almost exclusively now that the lower river is so popular and crowded. Although I do not advocate camping, there are a few spots to bivy which is nice for a two day float. Wading is next to nil because you must cross the railroad which is private property.
Karen at River Raft Rentals will also give you a shuttle if you call her ahead of time. You can park your car at the takeout for a couple of $$. Fishing is good to excellent because the upper river is usually clear when the lower is muddy.

The best hatches are in the spring. Skwalas, March Browns, Caddis, Salmonflies and Sallies are the best dry fly hatches.

The fish are also about the same in size and quantity even though the counts are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.