V rib vs Liquid Lace question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +365 / 0
    Has anyone noticed a distinctive difference when using a fly tied with one verses the other?

I see the advantages of both, but not sure if one would work more productively than the other.

Has anyone noticed (for a lack of better words) a difference in production of fish?

Thanks
  2. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Just make sure that you use a water based head cement for the Liquid lace.:D
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    I don't bother injecting Liquid Lace with any fluid -- it's a gimmick that attracts more fly tiers than fish.

I've tied patterns with both V-Rib and the plastic tubing (with and without fluid)... I prefer V-Rib because it is easier to use. The fish don't give a rip one way or the other.
  4. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Short answer is no. . . ..But I've seen some pretty tasty looking patterns tied with liquid lace and I'm sure at certain times the fish get picky enough that you would notice a difference. But 90+% of the time in lake fishing, pattern is secondary to finding the fish and presenting your fly in a way that it looks like food. Beyond that there was a good thread recently about how long to wait to switch patterns. Having a few liquid lace patterns to try could be fun on days when your standards are getting ignored.
    Kaiserman and Irafly like this.
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +365 / 0
    That's the kind of info I was looking for GAT and TP.

Thank you.

And GAT, I've neeeeever been guilty of tying a fly, just because it looks cool. :rolleyes: :p
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    Yeah, right, me neither :D