V rib vs Liquid Lace question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Has anyone noticed a distinctive difference when using a fly tied with one verses the other?

I see the advantages of both, but not sure if one would work more productively than the other.

Has anyone noticed (for a lack of better words) a difference in production of fish?

Thanks

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

Just make sure that you use a water based head cement for the Liquid lace.:D

3. GAT

GAT Active Member

I don't bother injecting Liquid Lace with any fluid -- it's a gimmick that attracts more fly tiers than fish.

I've tied patterns with both V-Rib and the plastic tubing (with and without fluid)... I prefer V-Rib because it is easier to use. The fish don't give a rip one way or the other.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Short answer is no. . . ..But I've seen some pretty tasty looking patterns tied with liquid lace and I'm sure at certain times the fish get picky enough that you would notice a difference. But 90+% of the time in lake fishing, pattern is secondary to finding the fish and presenting your fly in a way that it looks like food. Beyond that there was a good thread recently about how long to wait to switch patterns. Having a few liquid lace patterns to try could be fun on days when your standards are getting ignored.

Kaiserman and Irafly like this.
  5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

That's the kind of info I was looking for GAT and TP.

Thank you.

And GAT, I've neeeeever been guilty of tying a fly, just because it looks cool. :rolleyes: :p

6. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yeah, right, me neither :D