video - Dark Kyll

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Hans Weilenmann, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hans Weilenmann

Hans Weilenmann Active Member

The Dark Kyll is one of my earliest river patterns, going back as far as 1975. The name comes from the river Kyll, Germany, where I first fished the pattern. It imitates an important early season mayfly in western Europe, the Large Dark Olive (Baetis Rhodani). To this day it has remained one of my most effective LDO imitations.

[​IMG]

Dark Kyll
    Hook: Partridge SUD #12
    Thread: Benecchi 12/0, dark brown
    Wing: Lemon woodduck barbs
    Tail: Moose body hair - split
    Body: Hare's mask, dyed dark olive; Fox Squirrel, natural - equal amounts
    Hackle: Cock, brown

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

Cheers,
    Hans W

McNasty likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Active Member

Tying that style of low-riding dun is much easier than tying a compara-dun when you're deer hair challenged as I am. However, I have to admit, I've had more luck with a compara-dun than patterns with the hackle fibers cut flat under the fly.

3. Hans Weilenmann

Hans Weilenmann Active Member

*chuckle*

Since when is this tying&fishing thing a case of either-or? We want it all... :cool:

Welcome back.

Cheers,
    Hans W

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well, I'd kind'a like the pattern to work. You know, though, one pattern that works great for me at East Lake is a large Grey Humpy with the bottom hackle fibers cut flat. It doesn't work unless I trim off the fibers. It's the best dry fly pattern I've found yet for evening fishing when the large browns come into the shallows to eat the hatching duns.

So I stand corrected. There is a pattern that does work well for me with the lower hackles cut flat... I forgot about that one.