Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wader Repair

710 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wazoo 
#1 ·
With the water temperatures up, the streams have been great for wet wading. Unfortunately the salt has been a bit colder, especially early in the morning. As such I have found out that my neoprenes leak. :beathead

I was wondering if anyone had a good repair method. :dunno They are a good pair of Simms that are a few years old and I would really like to salvage them but if I can't make them water tight before the winter. They are odda here. :reallymad

I appreciate any suggestions. That is other than "man's fix-all" - duct tape. :rofl :rofl

Wazoo

#3 ·
You know what they say...if you cant duck it, *$#% it.

Playin...I would bet seamsealer would work fine?? The local shop probably has some goop for cheap that would fix the problem :dunno . I just found a leak in my breathables and took em back to the shop after 3 hards years (year round) and they fixed em free of charge with some sort of seamsealer on the neoprene foot section???

EDIT: I meant aquaseal :beathead, not seamsealer (which is made for tents, not waders)

~Patrick ><>

#5 ·
Do you know where the leaks are? Is the it the seams or do you have holes? If you don't know, filling up DRY waders with water really works (as noted above). Just look for wet spots that start forming... I use a permanant marker to mark the spot. Then make sure the material is dry before patching, and let it dry over night before trying to use again...
So far, I've been able to patch holes\seams in my neopremes and breathables with some 'goop' type rubber cement (special marine\outdoor version).

#6 ·
Thank you for the help. I kind of know where the leak is but I am not totally sure. The water idea sounds easier than filling with air and holding underwater. I am guessing that it is a seam on the foot.

From the experiences, it sounds like patching works, so that is great. I can save the money for other toys like a rod or reel. They are lined neoprene so I will try the aquaseal once I find the leak.

Thanks again
Wazoo
:beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.