Waiting for the BIG Coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Different memo....;)
  2. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Um, you might care to check, I don't think he was referring to you; that was my quote towards which he was directing his comment. Upline, overline - effectively means the same thing. Trust me, Stonefish knows.
  3. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Yes I know it was not directed at me, and I know they are both the same. I was just talking trash. I have notest that there are a lot of people on this forum that really take things way too seriously. But then I'm still new here so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.
  4. Jered Active Member

Kitsap Side
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Bagman, i think I know the secret. When in doubt just bring up stripping baskets. It's got the word 'stripping' in it and damn it makes beach fishing a lot more pleasant!
  5. Metalonthefly Member

Too far from my favorite river
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Awesome fish either way!
  6. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Landed a nice chunky ~5-6lb buck yesterday off a MA9 beach. Not huge, but definitely not a rezzie. Caught a downright obese 10lb buck wednesday in MA9 as well, but it would be shameful to show a photo as it was caught twitching jigs off a boat.

I've caught three beach coho this year on pink/white flies whereas last year I was using chartreuse/white. Wednesday a friend an I landed 5 coho twitching orange, pink, pink/white, and white/blue jigs. We could see the schools aggressively turn towards all of the jigs. I'm starting to think that contrast, flash, and presentation matters more than color for these travelling fish. As for smaller, feeding fish, matching the hatch may work better.

Anybody else finding some fatties and on what flies?

Attached Files:

7. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I kept 3 off a MA9 beach this weekend as well, lost a few others. Got one on a small chenille bug and the others on pink and chartruese attractor clousers.
  8. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I'm tying up some flashy shock and awes (bozo pattern, maybe some other color schemes) that I plan to fish Friday and Saturday in MA9. They give a nice jigging action, so maybe your theory will hold true.

My dad and I have a nice spot that we fish on the west side of whidbey island where we have had great luck intercepting fish cruising south. We just drop anchor and wait for them to come by, then cast just ahead of them.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Exactly what I have done the last three weeks! more satisfying and successful than trolling around all day, burning gas and landing fish on excessively heavy tackle.
  10. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    [quote="Cuttbow82,
    My dad and I have a nice spot that we fish on the west side of whidbey island where we have had great luck intercepting fish cruising south. We just drop anchor and wait for them to come by, then cast just ahead of them.[/quote]

What boat are you fishing out of? I will keep an eye out to say hi
    Cuttbow82 likes this.
  11. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    What boat are you fishing out of? I will keep an eye out to say hi[/quote]

We are in a 12' aluminum Klamath. We've been fishing leisurely - going out 2 or so hours before high tide. That would put us on the water around 2pm.
  12. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA

We are in a 12' aluminum Klamath. We've been fishing leisurely - going out 2 or so hours before high tide. That would put us on the water around 2pm.[/quote]

I think I have seen you around White Rock or the state park.?

I will keep an eye out. I am either in a black Weldcraft 18' boat or a 14' Lund.
  13. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.

We actually fish Mutiny Bay. Trying to catch the fish that get past you! ;) T
    The boat launch at Mutiny is much less crowded than at Bush Point (although we fish the beach there sometimes) and fish still tend to run fairly close to shore, especially in the south end of the bay. If we fish the shore, we will make sure to wave!

Btw, I'm very familiar with the white rock. We used to have a family cabin in Smuggler's Cove, about half a mile north of the state park. My grandpa bought the land in 1939. Fished that bay extensively for the first 15 years of my life. Caught a lot of fish off of white rock. Unfortunately when my grandparents passed away, my dad and uncle had to sell the property, back around 1980. Ten years later, my mom and dad bought a house on Mutiny.
  14. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    I have spent a lot of hours fishing Mutiny Bay and you are wise to be in that bay while fishing in a 12' aluminum. Bush point launch is a death trap with the freighter waves, current, and buzz bombs whizzing past you.

On the end you are fishing I have pulled many coho out of the hole near the A frame house.