Wanna practice refinishing/repairing a bamboo rod . . . ?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Kent Lufkin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    On his annual trip through the Seattle area from fishing at Langarra back to Boise, my brother in law kindly gave me two older cane rods. They're in rough shape and not fishable in their present condition. Heck, they're not even good wall hangers!

Both are 3-piece rods with roughly equal-length sections that measure about 37" each, suggesting they're 9' rods. Grips are in good shape; one has a complete reel seat, the other is missing it's slip band. One is marked with a decal reading 'Elephant Brand - Made from best India cane'. Otherwise, neither rod has any indication of it's size or line weight. The India brand rod has a complete set of ferrules but is missing the slip band on its reel seat - the other is missing several ferrule sections. No tubes or socks with either rod.

I have more than enough cane rods in good condition and little time or inclination to repair/rebuild these. But they might make good project rods for someone inclined to tinker with them and hone their rod repair skills.

Both are free to the first person who PMs me. Sorry, but I don't have time for packing and shipping, so whoever wants them will have to pick them up in the Bellevue/Redmond area.

K
    oldgoat03 likes this.
  2. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Somebody should jump on that offer!

Mike
    oldgoat03 likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I've been thinking about getting a cane rod to rebuild, and I just happen to be coming to the west side tomorrow evening. I'll send you a PM.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Quick on the draw Patrick! Looking forward to meeting you.

K
  5. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Did Patrick take both rods Kent? Let me know, thanks. If not I'd be interested.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Both are rods gone. Thanks for your interest.

K
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Nice to meet you Kent, and thanks for the rods.
  8. oldgoat03 Finally got my S#%* together & it won't all fit!

Woodinville, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Very un"gear whore" like behavior Kent. Good for you :O)
    Kent Lufkin likes this.