Wanting to learn how to....

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Eric Denny, Apr 24, 2013.

1. I had thought about buying my kids 12 and 5 fly rods then and I wanted to build my self one. Then I thought about it and figured that I could use there for the practice r, kind of get the fill for it. before I sent a nice amount on a good blank. So my question is I know there are rod kits but where can I find them? Or just some general information on doing this? How long does it normally take to build a rod? is this a good or bad idea? Anything helpful is wanted. Thanks

2. Angler's Workshop is a great place to start.

GBeeman

3. I usually take a couple of days to do a rod. The first is putting on the reel seat, grip, and wrapping the guides. The next day is putting the finish on the wraps.

GBeeman

4. I've never measured it. Figure, roughly, 3-5 hours of actual work. A "kit" would go a little faster than one where you assemble a reel seat and drill and fit individual cork rings. In addition, several times that many hours for glues and thread finishes to dry. Rod building lends itself well to doing in easy stages. When you're tired, or duty calls, just walk away until you're ready to resume.

5. Thanks I figured that it would be best to use a kit to start with I will check out angler's workshop and see what they have.

6. I would think about buying a kit for the kids to start. Few reasons -1) You can buy a rod with a warranty so when a kid breaks it you can pay a reasonable fee for a new section or rod. 2) for your first rod if you do a good job it will take you a long time. Most likely a factory built rod will look better than your fist rod built by yourself. Each one will take less time and be better. 3) If you think you are going to save money you are sadly mistaken. By the time you buy components either separate or in a kit, epoxy, rod sock, tube, reel and line you will be surprised at the price.

Your thought on buying an inexpensive blank for your first build is the correct path as it does take at least a couple of rods to get the idea. There are tons of rod building videos on the internet including a good series by a guy on youtube and many rod building suppliers have videos on their web sites.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  7. I hadn't read this before I sent you the P.M. thanks for the advice. I will take it. I guess the first couple of rods I will just have to do for my self.lol Hope they are not to bad.lol

8. Your first rod (or subsequent ones) may or may not be pretty, but they will be fishable. I've been really happy ordering things from Angler's Habitat. They have good prices and if you call to order a kit, you talk to a rod builder in the shop that will put together a kit for you based on exactly what you want to build. I'm a big fan of Batson blanks. I find it takes me about 10 hours of work to build a rod in addition to wait times for epoxy and finish to cure, but I'm only on rod #4 and constantly trying new things. If I tried to knock out a plain Jane as fast as I could, I think I could do it in 4-5 hours.

9. Thanks. I tried to call them yesterday and when they called back I was busy. I will have to try again. But thanks and I'm glad to hear that you are happy with what you are building.

10. Hook & hackle often has kits in sale. Wait for one of the forecast kits to go on sale and you can get a 9' 5wt kit for about $75. This actually builds a very fish-able rod with a nice medium fast action. Add about $10 for epoxy and maybe one extra roll of thread for an accent color (both of which will cover more than one build).

11. Just went and looked that might just work thanks for the heads up. You said these tend to end up being a pretty decent rod.

12. I built 3 of them as donation rods. They have a nice feel when casting and make good starter rods, but I think anyone could enjoy them. Of course they aren't the latest and greatest super fast tip action thread a fly through a tiny opening rod, but there probably better than many of the $200 rods you can get.

13. I just built a Forecast 8'6" 4 weight and I love it. The feel is great, with a moderate-fast action. Built bare bones I would say it is in the $150-180 rod range as far as quality is concerned and only costs about $100. Great value and a very fun rod to build, cast, and fish.