Warm Fuzzy - and a question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Hans Weilenmann, Jun 18, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,110 / 0
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I think the seasons went backwards here. I spent the past two days in long pants, a jacket and the heat on at home.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    In Moses Lake? Now I am worried. I thought I was the only one with my winter coat and gloves.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,110 / 0
    Same here. We switch from either the AC or the furnace every other day. Somehow I don't think we're going to go through a drought this summer... if we ever have a summer.

Which wouldn't be the first time for this part of Oregon.
  5. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Back to the hard bodied patterns.

I can only speak to what has worked best for me.

glass bead patterns, which I pursued because of the clear outer glass and color or metal lining of choice.

My go to pattern uses a white metal bead, peacock herl thorax, and silver-lined 15/0 beads in the color of my choice on the abdomen. This pattern not only works for me, it has saved the day for fishing partners. (I call it JBC, Jays Best Chironomid)

I also have on that is all glass beads and it works.
    gray lined 15/0 clear beads on the abdomen, a silver-lined black bead (call diamond) as the thorax, and a glow-lined clear bead as the head. Its caught fish in Washington and Oregon. I call it AGC. All Glass Chironomid.

but was supplanted by the pattern with peacock herl thorax mentioned above.

Jay
  6. auhunter Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    Hard bodies, etc., not for me. My feeling is that the fish would rather take something that feels like a bug rather than a brick. Because it looks real they strike hard and hook themselves, even before the angler has had time to react. Of course I am probably wrong. Never did any tests on it while working with Fish and Game here or in WA. Something I always wanted to do, but always got voted down on.
  7. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +77 / 0

Hello Hans,

they catch both fish and depending on the circumstances you need the two types in your fly box.
    I learned tying them soft and now also hard/shiny and still catch fish.

My personel statement is: follow your own style and walk with open eyes through this magnificent world of fly fishing and tying.

Kind Regards,

Robbert