Washington we have a problem ( wolf attack )

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom O'Riley, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

1 - If that statement is true, then we really need new folks in the WFG department. Why would they (or when do they) care what we think. Look at the steelhead...

2 - If someone posses "intellectual integrity", why would they let this crap bother them?

3 - I don't care who you are...that there is funny.

2. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Hey ! I caught me a fish the other day

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Well played Sir.

4. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I'm concerned that these wolves are a hatchery product and could impact the native strain, maybe they should be removed, i'm game for swinging a 55gr vmax their way. :)

on another note....spoke with a guy related to sheep capture with a helo at heller bar, this week, and i guess there are atleast two packs in the Anatone area. i saw wolves off of rattle snake grade maybe four or five years ago, nobody believed me, even my friends, but the guys skirtin the ridges lookin for sheep i guess have seen them.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

but the guys skirtin the ridges lookin for sheep i guess have seen them. (quote)

I know these are desperate times.But skirtin ridges looking for sheep, Even in Alaska I was never that desperate!!!

6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    you never meet the Anatone lady's then :thumb:

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I was wondering.........................Did anybody bring Popcorn to this thread. I only clicked on it to see what kind of bull shit is coming off.

Will not do so again.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/

December 3, 2011

Contacts: Commission Office, (360) 902-2267
    WDFW Public Affairs, (360) 902-2259

Fish and Wildlife Commission adopts plan
    to conserve and manage gray wolves

OLYMPIA - After four years of development and extensive public review, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission today unanimously adopted a plan that will guide state conservation and management of gray wolves in Washington state.

The citizen commission, which sets policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), approved the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan at a public meeting in Olympia.

Key provisions of the plan establish recovery objectives for gray wolves in three regions in Washington, along with procedures for addressing predation on livestock and impacts on ungulates such as deer, elk and caribou.

Prior to the final vote, the commission approved several changes to the draft plan, including one that modified the distribution of breeding wolf pairs needed to remove wolves from the state’s endangered species list.

Once abundant in the Pacific Northwest, gray wolves are currently classified by the state as endangered throughout Washington. They are also listed under federal law as endangered in the western two-thirds of the state.

WDFW began developing the wolf-management plan in 2007, anticipating that gray wolves would naturally migrate into the state from Idaho, Oregon, Montana, and British Columbia. Since then, five wolf packs have been documented in the state - three in northeastern Washington and two in the Cascade Mountains.

During the past four years, the plan developed by WDFW in conjunction with a 17-member citizen Wolf Working Group has been the focus of 23 public meetings, 65,000 written comments and a blind scientific peer review.

"This plan establishes recovery goals for wolves, while also giving wildlife managers and individuals the tools they need to protect livestock and wildlife populations," said Miranda Wecker, commission chair. "The goal is that wolves will no longer need special status in our state and can be managed as part of the overall ecosystem."

Key elements of the plan approved by the commission include:

•Recovery goals: The plan establishes a recovery objective of 15 breeding pairs of wolves that are present in the state for at least three years. Before gray wolves can be removed from the state’s endangered species list, at least four of those breeding pairs must be verified in Eastern Washington, four in the northern Cascades, four in the southern Cascades/Northwest coastal area and three others anywhere in the state. The commission also allows WDFW to initiate action to delist gray wolves if 18 breeding pairs are documented during a single year.
    •Livestock protection: The plan provides a variety of management measures - from technical assistance for landowners to lethal removal - to control wolves that prey on livestock. The plan also establishes conditions for compensating ranchers who lose livestock to wolf predation.
    •Wildlife protection: The plan allows WDFW to use lethal and non-lethal measures to manage wolf predation on at-risk deer, elk and caribou populations if wolf numbers reach or exceed the recovery objective within a region where predation occurs. The commission modified the definition of "at-risk" populations to give WDFW more flexibility in responding to the effect of wolf predation on those animals.
    WDFW is not allowed to import wolves from other states or seek to increase the wolf population to historic levels under the parameters set for the new wolf management plan by an associated environmental impact statement.

All aspects of the state’s plan will take immediate effect east of state highways 97, 17 and 395, where gray wolves were removed from federal protection last May. In the rest of the state, federal law will take precedence over the state plan until wolves are delisted under the federal Endangered Species Act in that area.

The draft Wolf Conservation and Management Plan is posted on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/ . The final plan, incorporating amendments adopted by the commission, will be posted on the site by mid-January.

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

This has changed already....or is about to. I've seen them at work, and on my way to work near hwy 58 and 95 junction. Recently one (out of several) was shot in St Maries Id. Maybe the crowds on the St Joe will thin out this year. :clown:

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, but, this was released yesterday.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Don't know what you all think, but the populations still look a little puny to me :rolleyes:

Just another example of man (and woman) trying to manipulate nature and fouling the prop! I've spoken with some MT sheep and cattle ranch owners this past summer and they are not amused.

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/files/2010/11/NRMWolfpacks.jpg

One more Ruger 44 Redhawk wandering the hills and valleys :thumb:

12. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    What? They aren't climbing up the Space Needle...so they aren't a problem?[/QUOTE]

I think I DID see one waiting by the elevators dressed incognito:beer1:

13. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    How about PEOPLE being the problem???????????????????????????

14. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Media:
    Of course, a part of me wishes that wolves would start eating more people. A part of me also wishes people would start eating more people.[/QUOTE]:thumb::thumb::thumb:

15. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

A rancher friend of mine said the four legged wolf was not a problem for him. It was to two legged wolves that caused him the most $.
    He practices the 3 S's

16. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I was happy this thread has ran its course and was gone but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

17. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Yeah, me too. I'm grumpy all day if I don't shit, shower and shave in the morning.

18. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

I would agree on this one. Seems too clean to be taken down with a .44.