Water Master Kickboats :: Kodiak & Grizzly

Discussion in 'WFF Gear Program' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    Two new Kodiak sized boats were delivered today and will be available again starting next week. Both boards are fully optioned and ready to fish.
  2. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    James Mello and I used the Kodiaks on the Sauk river Superbowl Sunday. They are great boats and we both went away from the day wanting to convince our wives to let us buy some. They are very good on the water and I did not feel unsafe in them. This was my very first time on the sticks so I was a bit hesitant at first but that went away very quickly. I felt like I could get out of the way of most any hazard pretty easily with the boat. I had plenty of storage space behind my seat for a whole days shit plus some (can't leave anything in the truck for the tweakers).

Now for the down side of them. If I were any shorter than my 5'8" frame I don't think that I could have reached the foot strap to hold my feet. The oars sit too close to the frame and I found that I hit my thighs while rowing all the time. It would be nice if there was a designated rod holder on the boat, but I was able to tuck my spey rod beside my seat while going down the river. James had a real problem with one of his oars, the oar lock broke. Thank God it was at the end of the day. You really can't do squat with a broken oar lock.

My overall impression of the watermasters is that they are a great boat. I want one. I will however buy extra oar locks and the tools to put them on.
  3. wingnutty New Member

Polson, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've got a kodiak, had it for 4 years now. I love it. Couldn't be happier. I fish it hard on both rivers and lakes. I always take my yellow lab with me and he sits behind me (80 lbs). The raft is basically brand new still! Amazing considering what I've put this boat through!

I've posted an add in the classifieds regarding an anchor system and motor mount platform and also an attachable boat bottom for the raft in anyone is interested. Both of these accessories are brand new.
  4. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +262 / 0
    FYI, Watermaster will, for no additional charge, custom build a boat for you that accommodates a shorter leg length. Send them your inseam measurement and they'll mount the foot straps closer to the seat. I did this and it's perfect. You can also order a rod holder from WM that you can mount on either side and works very well.
  5. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    From the company:

The company is now called Big Sky Inflatables but we still manufacture and sell the Water Master kickboat.
  6. gevansky1 New Member

federal way, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I never use the fins on a river, I am able to position myself with just my wading boots. I use the oars if I want to move somewhere.
  7. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    I don't think that's the way to go. The shorter fins for the river will give you a lot more control and movement than simply using your wading boots. The point is not to have to touch your oars. Get proficient with the fins and you might not touch those oars all day, even with some interesting water to navigate. During which you will be fishing.
  8. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Many Thanks! for the gear program!!

I looked through the WM threads and the gear description and haven't been able to find an answer to this. Can anyone tell me what accessories are included with the WM Kodiak demo package? I reserved one for Oct 10-15 and want to know if there's anything else I should buy for my outing? Fins? Rod Holder? Something to secure my gear? I might be able to rig up a stripping apron from one of my float tubes if one isn't included with the demo package. Anything else that is a "Wish I hadda?"

Also, I know I can call BSI to ask but does anyone know of any deals to be had on new WMs besides what's listed as Specials or (Expedition) Packages on the BSI site?

For example will BSI allow options to combine a "Special" & a "Package"? In other words, the Kodiak Expedition package with an unused demo Kodiak raft at a reduced cost? Or allow "Package" substitutions; like no fins but will include an anchor mount for a small "upcharge"?

*OR something like
  9. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Met Mr Scoons today to return the WM after a 5 day outing that included rivers and stillwater. Another BIG Thank You Sir! for this site and the Gear Program. I can now answer some of my own questions that might benefit someone else:
    (Boot) Fins - (Dang! at least I found some very good Outcast fins on sale for $20)
    LVM High Speed Inflator (I gotta get me one-a deez!)
    Gear tie-down - (Dang! but I'll find something to use the 5mm dacron rope and 9/16" tubular webbing I bought)
    Stripping apron - (available but be sure to ask to have it included)
    Dry Bag - medium size, will hold extra clothes, lunch
    Repair Kit
    Big (backpack) Dry Bag to keep WM package contained in one bag (may be available, ask first)
    (Boot) Fins with felts (y, I know I can rig up my own)
    Rod Holder - (may be available, ask first) Scotty Float tube model @ Sportsman's Warehouse $25,
    Stripping apron - (available but be sure to ask to have it included) would have been real nice on stillwater
    Anchor System - (may be available so ask) with lock would have been real nice on slow moving water and stillwater
    Ask Chris for more details
  10. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    On a Friday morning on my way out to the Seep Lakes (Windmill to be specific) I met Chris at his house to pick up the WM and accessories. Headed out to the lake and set up camp with my fellow campers.

Set up the WM with the electric bump that Chris includes - this is the ONLY way to inflater one of these babies - quick and attracts a lot of attention. As mentioned by others above the boat comes with everything you need for a float.

Now my problem is the wind was blowing so hard the Friday and Saturday I was up there, you could not cast a fly-line, let alone take a WM out on the lake. We had two other boats in camp - both with motors and they could not effectively battle the winds.

Wind calmed down on the Sunday I was leaving but I did not want to get everything all wet for the drive home.

I will try this baby again in the future and have a better report.

Stew
  11. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Friday afternoon pickup of the Kodiak, pulled in to an eastern Washington campsite @ 9:30 pm. Hit it hard the next 2 days fishing stillwater, light winds & day temps in the mid 80's didn't test the whitewater capabilities of this unit, but it finesse fished just fine. Fish were deep 20-30' but willing when you got your fly in the kill zone. Nice rainbows running 15-20" with multiples in the 18" range.

As I'm a bigger guy 6' & 275 lbs. I liked the bigger tubes & dry ride in the Kodiak over the smaller Wilderness Access raft I used last year, also the W.A. raft has an inflatable seat which tends to get pinhole leaks after some use & go flat on you during a days fishing. Not the Kodiak w/ the solid seating platform. Lots of room to store gear for multiple day trips behind the seat. Didn't have to top off the air in 3 days, its a tight unit.

The small electric pump is an absolute MUST. For inflating & deflating too, it is just stupid fast over a foot bellows type pump.

Ask Chris for the stripping apron if your going to do stillwater, you gotta have it

Great packable boat.

c/22