We are losing a WFF member!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Drifter, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Doug Jones

Doug Jones Son of a Bob

Greetings to you all. I knew my dad was active on this forum so I joined to see about getting in touch. I and my family are deeply moved by Mark's humorous and fitting tribute to our father and by all of the comments by those of you who knew him. While we are mourning our loss, we are also remembering Dad's warm and friendly spirit, which he eagerly shared with all of those he met, even for a moment. Although I am not active on Facebook, my wife tells me that the comments on his page there are also heartfelt and touching.

My siblings and I, and Mark, too, feel fortunate to have had the wonderful time we shared with him when Dad returned to Oregon. Be aware, though, that he never stopped talking of his great friends and the great waters of Washington.

I hope to meet many of you on a river (or in a pub!) someday and share a smile, a story, or a glass.

We are planning to request that any donations folks may want to make in Bob's memory go to Healing Waters, which was a project he was very proud to be a part of. Any advice on how to best direct people there is appreciated.

Tight lines, Dad. And to you all!

Doug Jones
    Portland, OR

Attached Files:

2. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Doug, I'll do that. You and anyone else in your family have a seat in my boat anytime.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Fred , thank you for the update. Doug, thanks for sharing your father with me on occasion. I'll echo Jason. When we meet, I'll have a boat seat open for you.

4. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

This made me think of the time I got to spend with Bob.

Bill Aubrey and Steve Call like this.
  5. William Fifield

William Fifield Santiago, no fish in 84 days.

Didn't know Bob, but I love your tribute to him. Very moving story. Sounds like he helped you as much as you helped him. Can't even buy lessons like that. Thanks for sharing this and making my life a little richer through your story.

6. Catherine Skelton

Catherine Skelton New Member

My brother said it all and so well but I had to sign up and say my piece too. I don't know if all of you are on his facebook page to read those comments as well so here I am.
    I don't fish, unless you count trying to learn trout fishing as a child where I caught nothing but salamanders (so I turned in my rod), but grew up with fishermen and married one. I found this day of sadness to be greatly helped along by reading these pages and crying along with everyones tributes, toasts and stories, many of which I recognized as he would sit and tell them to me.
    I feel so many of you are familiar and It helped immensely today to see my Dad sent off with such love from the people he cared about. He didn't want a service, he wanted a party and this was something he would have been so thrilled to see and would certainly do for others. I can't imagine a better send off!! Thanks for helping in my healing and for making this day worth remembering in time to come as not only the day we lost our Dad but also the day we learned more about him.
    Thanks again and Happy Fishing!

Also if anyone has some good pics of Dad/Bob doing what he loved best this past year I sure would like to get a hold of copies or emailed to me. Thanks!

7. Brad Daschofsky

Brad Daschofsky The Tuna Angler

I met bob at the two fly and he a was really nice guy. This really sucks. :(

8. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

RIP Bob.

Doug and Catherine, thank you for coming on the forum and sharing your feelings. Some knew Bob, others might have met him once or twice but many more read his posts over the years. Take care, treasure your memories and hold them dear.

Mark, we've never met, but you are an incredibly generous soul. God bless you. God bless Bob.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  9. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Doug & Catherine--

With the annual Project Healing Waters event coming up in just a couple of weeks, rest assured that your Dad Bob will be appropriately "memorialized".

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Fair winds Good Heart! And to Bob's family, and family of friends, I wish you heartfelt condolences.

11. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob but his posts always came across as unpretentious and sincere; a real gentleman and my prayers go out for comfort to all who hold him dear. Mark, I am humbled. Your love and grace for your fellow man are of of the highest honor. I hope we get to fish together sometime.

JesseCFowl and Builder like this.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

We will have a moment of remembrance at the 2 fly for Bob. He will be missed.

I can help with any donations to Project Healing Waters.

13. Johnjav

Johnjav Member

I never knew Bob, but he sounds like an great person. You could be very proud of yourself Mark. Amazing story.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

If you want to make a donation to PHWFF you can do it two ways.

1. You can make a gear donation to our program through me or Chuck.......or

2. You can donate via mail or Paypal at link below. You can denote donations go to the NW Region.

http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/html/donations.html

15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Pretty awesome to see all the goodbyes on this thread. A lot of the friendships on this site run pretty damn deep.

16. Well written ....

17. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Bob at the O Rad bash. He did enjoy a smile more than a frown.

[​IMG]

18. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

this is beautiful. bless you catharine, and blessings on your dad's memory, and blessings on the strong ethic of community and goodwill which is, by and large, represented here on wff. mercy for your loss, but here's to the great gain for you and everyone your dad touched.

19. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Thank you Mark for sharing with us, your touching tribute to Bob. It stands as an example of what life should be about, loving and helping each other.From the sounds of it your life has been enriched beyound measure. God bless both of you.

Chris

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Catherine, I have several current photo's of your Dad (his trip down here on the Rogue). Never had a moments success posting photo's on the web so I sent you a "PM" with my e-mail address. That will allow me to 'capture' same and attach them to another e-mail.
    Fred