We are losing a WFF member!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Drifter, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Doug Jones Son of a Bob

Oak Grove, OR
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Fred:
    It will be great to see those pictures once Cathie passes them on. I know Dad really enjoyed his visit with you and the time you spent on the Rogue together. One of his last great outings.

Doug
  2. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Sorry for your loss. Great story. One correction. 73 is not old as dirt. Being over 90 is closer to "Old as Dirt".
    Alex MacDonald and Mark Kraniger like this.
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +874 / 0
    So true, Jesse! And it's timely to point out that this is a door through we all will pass; to make the most of our time doing what we enjoy, with the people we enjoy being with.
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    INDEED. His Son and Daughter are proof enough of that. I hope the stay beyond post #1. Part of their Father's Legacy?
    fae
  5. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Okay, was reading this at work today and it has been on my mind since. First off, here's a toast to Bob ... may your legacy live on in your children and their children. I did not know you, but seems you've left a mark on those whom you did. Second, here's a toast to Mark for having the intestinal fortitude to take Bob into your home and heart - not always the easy thing to do. This speaks volumes about your character - cheers.

Stew.
  6. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I went fishing with Jason, Matt, Bob and Steve Saville on the Sultan River a few years ago. We dropped Jason's car off in Oly and went to pick Bob up. We arrived at his house where he had to give me a tour and show off all his stuff and his fly tying table. Right before we left his wife told us to bring him back safe which I didn't think much of it then. We got to the Sultan and soon began fishing, Steve and I both caught 2 sweet dollies in one of Evan's secret holes. Later we hiked back to the car's for our tailgater, and we all know how we can cook . We all showed up but Bob so we split up and started searching, and searching.All I could think of was what his wife asked us before we left It was raining and getting dark and we were about to call 911 when Bob wandered down the trail. "Whats going on? he says" We told him we have been looking for him for hours and hours! His reply was"I don't get to get out and fish very often so when I do I take advantage of it, I went down stream fishing, I knew where I was at don't worry about it" Now that was my first outing with Bob. He moved down to Portland as many here knew. I picked him up last year for the Sandy Spey Clave and we had an epic day, it seemed that everything was going good for him then. Steve and I took Bob to fish the South Fork of the Toutle as well, another epic day, there were many other trips with Bob, Pinkfest at Steve's ect. All in all I've had the pleasure to know Bob Jones for the last few years and like all the other posts here I found Bob as one of the last good guys. They don't make guys like Bob any more. You know Bob didn't have much but when ever I saw him he always gave me one of his little bobbles whether it was some of his famous hand tied flies or an old reel he picked up somewhere to give to one of my boys in my group. I will miss him, he was truely one in my inner fishing group, there's not many of those and when you lose one it's hard.. Jim Riggins
    Bill Aubrey, Doug Jones and Ed Owens like this.
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Well said, the greater 'we' take care of us or who will? No a hand out, but a 'hand up/'
  8. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    And I agree with Fred, I only hope they can spell better than their Dad. LOL
    Doug Jones likes this.
  9. Ed Owens Carpe diem!

Battle Ground, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It was my privilege to meet Bob for the first time over a year ago. I was introduced to him by a mutual friend and was immediately taken in by his genuinely warm and friendly manner he had. We spoke at length and I very much enjoyed listening to him and his stories. A few days later, he sent me a friends request on FaceBook. We would exchange messages from time to time, he would comment on posts, and he had the uncanny ability to send a message, out of the blue, to brighten my day.

I remember going to the expo near Troutdale last year to help with the Project Healing Waters booth. I had chatted with Bob a few days before and he said he'd come out and visit. Sure enough, Bob arrived on the city bus. I wish I'd have known he needed a ride, I would have picked him up, but he said it was a good reason to get out. He and I paddled around for a couple hours off and on; I will forever that day because he came to make sure I was doing ok. I had lost my oldest son in an accident several months earlier and he knew I was struggling in life. The fact he took time out of his life to come visit with me, that he would reach out frequently, will forever be something I remember about Bob. He truly cared about others and was a genuinely good and pure soul. I count myself fortunate to have met Bob.

Until we meet again my friend, may you always have tight lines.

Ed
    fredaevans and Nick Clayton like this.
  10. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Jim, man, do you remember the relief when we saw Bob come bopping out of the woods after looking for him forever? He scared the shit out of us.
    Jim Riggins likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Wow. I never met Bob. Mark's original post, the stories you all posted about your times with Bob, and the responses by everyone are all very moving, and humbling.
    Mark, Fred, and you other members who fished with Bob and shared your stories...thanks for that!
    Sounds like Bob already had found his peace, and it seems like he was a shining example for us all.
    fredaevans likes this.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    Geez. I hope you are all this kind to me when ever I decided that this life is enough.
  13. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Everyone watch out for old man faking his own death for a while.
    Jim Riggins likes this.
  14. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Jess, we have all " A time to be born, an time to die," it's what you do in the middle that counts.

How will any of us be remembered? A name crosses your mind on the river and at 70 you bust out in tears. A Legacy? A wider group than he/she may know?

To me, just a thought, that is ...extraordinary.
    JesseCFowl likes this.
  15. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    It sounds like Bob Jones had some good people in his life and some good trips on the water.
  16. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    Mark, what a great story and tribute...we should all be so lucky to have a friend like you! It's wonderful to hear all of the great comments from those who knew Bob personally.
  17. boutdoors Member

West Covina Calif.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Real sorry to hear about Bob. You were a good person to take him in and take him out for a great day of fishing.
  18. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I have more pics, I just can't find them. Hmmmmmmm.
    Jim Riggins and Ed Owens like this.
  19. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    Jerry, thanks for posting the pics from last year's 2fly. I had a great conversation with Bob on Saturday afternoon there.
  20. Tony James Member

Oakbrook, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Sorry to hear this sad news about a man that I did not know personally, but it's heartwarming to read the moving tributes to our fellow fly fisherman. He was obviously not the only kind soul that frequented this site - God bless.