Weakening

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by freestoneangler, May 5, 2013.

1. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    As for genetic and health testing, luck has something to do with it. I've been both lucky and unlucky with the health of my dogs, the first one having to be retired at age 6 due to severe elbow dysplasia. With my last two I've settled on nothing less than all the tests being done on both parents. You can still end up with an unhealthy dog no matter how healthy the parents are, but I like the reassurance of buying better odds.

I also wouldn't buy a puppy if the parents were untitled in hunt tests and, for me, obedience - I want the best odds the puppy I get will have the aptitude to do those things AND it shows the breeder has an interest in creating good dogs.

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Guy, it's Donald Wolters. And when y'all find a good field trials Golden breeder, please let me know? Fiona's going to be 10 this fall, and Ailan's almost 8, so I need to be thinking about maybe a third pup to take up room on the bed!

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I'll let you know about trials golden breeders, if I ever hear of one.

As you're no doubt aware, Golden's don't do so well in trials. IMHO, Goldens have more stamina in general (I'm not criticising labs, guys, so keep your hands off your keyboards...) but not the drive and energy that trials emphasize. My dog comes from show stock, and leaves many things to be desired as a hunter when compared to decent to fine level labradors of my hunting friends. When compared to the labs, he's slower (I'm old), he will space out and run around like a pet (he is a pet 350 days per year), and he gets covered with burrs, thistles, and cheatgrass, requiring at least an hour to brush after each hunt (during which he groans and looks passionately at me.). On the third day he's still chugging away, the labs are usually all in, probably because they have covered twice the ground he covers. He'll walk over birds, and he's also not steady in the blind (don't put your sandwich down to shoot) and he must run around me counterclockwise twice with every bird he retrieves (very strange). Yet, he's my pal, I trained him, and neither he nor his predecessor ever lost a bird, I'd rather hunt with him than any other dog.

For my retreivers I've believed that 5-8 yrs. are the journeyman years..puppy nonsense mostly gone, energy and health (if you're lucky) at adult level, they know the program and the process. Beyond 8, they start moving with the economy of age...Old age and treachery, don't ya know, and are best for wild birds 'cause they've seen that stuff before. Yeah, you're about ready to start again.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Looked at GR and LR litters this weekend... getting closer. All the way to down to Onalaska then over to Raymond...can't seem to find much around the Tacoma area. Wife's doing some research on pedigrees. She found a really cool website for tracking all about lineage and health of registered dogs.

http://www.k9data.com/

Just picked up a couple of dog kennels this morning so we're set-up when the decision is made. We're discussing getting two again and going back and forth on the pluses and minuses of that option -- it really was fun having siblings. Also discussing getting one of each... we're convinced we're nuts so feel free to pile on. :D

5. airedale

airedale Member

i'll chip in on the rving side.....been travelling with them for 20 odd years as my wife trains, shows and is into agility.....would rather travel with one or two than without......make that two.....a single gets bored and thinks get chewed......rv parks in the US ,[not all] look at weight, breed and how many.......depending on how neat you like to keep your travelling home, a non shedder like an airedale or a poodle is an advantage......something without a huge prey drive.....do love GRs and labs though......

6. Kaari White

Media:
    Freestoneangler, I think you're nuts for thinking of getting two! One is plenty of excitement, believe me!! My 8 month old requires a ton of attention and training time - I can't imagine doubling it!

Another good site for looking at pedigree data for labs is http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/

7. freestoneangler

Media:
    Well, we did successfully raise our two GR's; brother/sister. 90% of the effort/credit goes to my wife and it helps that she works from home and they always have someone providing instruction...they were awesome and on the plus side, you get it all done at once. Chances are we'll get one then another a bit later...but we are weak and we know it :D.

Is that your dog in the boat? He/she is a great looking dog! I went back to see read your other posts and perhaps I missed it, but where did you get your dog? Thanks for the other link.

8. Kaari White

Media:
    Yep, that's my Penny. She's the best puppy I've ever had, but I think I deserve it after having two hellion labs. I got her from WindyCanyon Labradors which is located right at the bottom of the Yakima River Canyon. I really wanted a dog with an off switch, but with plenty of drive to hunt - which is exactly what I got. She took 2nd place at a practice hunt test (Sr. Puppy division) in late June and was the youngest dog in her class. At home she's super easy going and better behaved (usually) than my 11 year old lab. She's still a puppy and will occasionally destroy a crate pad or try some DIY gardening.

I know Anne at WindyCanyon has a litter this fall the same sire and Penny's aunt, but I'm not sure on availability.

Here's Penny's pedigree: http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=71504

9. freestoneangler

Media:
    Cool, thanks.

10. freestoneangler

Media:
    Well, after lots of looking, we placed a deposit on a female yellow lab last week. The litter is 2 weeks old yesterday, so we won't bring her home until late the first week of October. We're pretty excited and a little apprehensive at the same time...it's been 14 years since we last did the puppy thing. It will be good in many ways.

11. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Member

When you say e-collar...do you mean the collars that send a small pulse of electricity through the collar? do they really work that well?

12. freestoneangler

Media:
    We brought Ruby home this past Saturday. Having driven over to Moses Lake 2-/2 weeks ago to see the litter and mom, we have been psyched about the day. She is from a litter of 9, 6 females and 5 males, all very healthy great looking pups. Fortunately, at pick selection #3, 2 of the 3 females we really liked were still available when we went to select. After a 1-1/2 hours of playing with them, we both picked the same one and we started our 3rd relationship with mans best friend.

She adjusted to her new surroundings amazingly well and really never has shown any signs of depression or anxiety. She is 8 weeks old yesterday and I'm amazed just how quick she is learning things. Already following us out to the front door to go potty...which has averaged about 2+ hours/deed. She is retrieving and bringing back a small duck toy my wife bought and responding fairly well to "stop" or "no" command when she starts to chew things other than her toys. We're playing tag-team camping out downstairs in the family room where her crate and playpen are located. Other than broken sleep patterns, a few outbursts when not let out of her pen (not because she needs to relieve herself) and a few miscues on our part not getting her outside immediately after she wakes, so far so good. She's cute as a bugs ear and already helping fill the large voids Max & Hallee left.

She went to the vet Monday and got an all's well report -- the office staff all fussing over who got the most hold time. We're still in the quarantine period -- so regulating her to the yard until all shots are done. She seems just fine with that and I'm thinking the fall leaf clean-up is going to be a snap this season :D. IMG_2081 web.jpg IMG_1791 web.jpg

13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Let me the first to welcome Ruby, what a cute little bugger. Enjoy!

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Welcome to your new home Ruby - train your "parents" well and they will serve you well!!!

As a long time yellow lab fan (my current "pup" is now nearly 18 months old and enjoying her first full hunting season) have to love the pictures of Ruby.

A "potty" training trick that we have had great success with is handing on bell from the back door at nose level that rings whenever the door opens. The puppy typically learns to ring the bell in a day or two when they need to go outside - much better than scratching/barking/whining.

Enjoy
    Curt

airedale likes this.
  15. martyg

martyg Active Member

Freestoneangler -

Let me know if you ever want an intro on how to collar condition. A lot of guys put a collar on a dog with no pre or conditioning work. Yeah, the dog comes back to them, but it is from a sense of insecurity - not because the dog understands what is going on. We are in the south sound but also have a place in Glacier where I spend a lot of time. That conditioning should start at about 6 months old, with the dog wearing the collar every day for about two months before you get to the first phases where they are stimulated.

I can tell you with certainty that it is the only way to achieve a finished gun dog. Mind you that getting to that Master Hunter or Grand Master Hunter level involves an hour or two of work every day from 7 weeks to about 4 years old with the e-collar being an essential tool.

Guy brings up an interesting concept. With people that I have introduced to e-collars and collar conditioning what they have all remarked on is how it buys their dog freedom. You help your dog to learn. My dogs don't even know what a lead is, because they heel and respond with 99% reliability. It helps your dog be a better canine citizen in all conditions.

Also regarding Guy's comment about Walter's (sic) old books... I used to train, run and judge hunt tests with that crowd in NoVA. Dick essentially founded NAHRA with Jack Jagoda and others, and e-collars were in full use then. The difference is that they had one speed - fry. Dogs that washed out of that program were deemed as not having enough drive to handle the training, when in reality some dogs give you more the softer you are with them. We know that now and collar conditioning and collar use reflects that.

The reality with Dick was that he knew that he couldn't sell books if he promoted the use of e-collars back then. He was a gardener, tinkerer, writer with dog training occupying one of the top four spots.

Kaari White likes this.
  16. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

Labs and GR's are great family dogs, pals, and companions. I've had 3 labs. Loved em.

But so are Llewellin setters. And springer spaniels.

My current dog is a Llewellin. Awesome family dog. Good pheasant and quail dog too. More laid back around the house than my Labs were. Llewellins also get over the puppy stage sooner.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Good looking! Question: litter of 9 with 6 females and 5 males? You must be to excited to do the math! Gotcha!

Your avatar photo should get updated. Those photos are great.

18. freestoneangler

Media:
    Excited to be sure... also a little sleep deprived (her bladders the size of a thingamabobber) :). 9 in the litter, 6 females and 3 males.

19. freestoneangler

Media:
    Ruby seems a natural. Not that much of a surprise for a lab I suppose, but what really amazed me is that she looks back my way while searching and if I hold my arm off to the right or left she tends to head that way...and I've done no training like that whatsoever. My wife stated raising her arm overhead months ago to get her to return and she took to that very well. Sometimes the I-5 noise can be so loud, she can hardly hear the whistle -- so she started using her arm signal. Perhaps that got her queued into looking for arm signals and the rest is DNA? Anyway, she absolutely loves chasing down the dummy and heading back for a snack. At just over 9 months, she is now 60 lbs, moving out of the puppy stage, and becoming more mindful of the activity at hand. IMG_7081.JPG IMG_7082.JPG IMG_7089.JPG IMG_7090.JPG

ganglyangler likes this.
  20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Great photos, Ruby is coming into her own. What a joy it is to watch our dogs grow and learn, not unlike kids...