Wear Sunscreen!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well, I guess the fishing in the sun finally caught up with me. Was having some trouble with my lip not healing up well for the last year and time slipped by. Anyhow, the dermatologist did some tests and I guess I have a pre-cancer on my lower lip. So, I now have to suffer with treating it to kill the cells or whatever. It's going to probably take a month by applying a small portion (chemical) at a time, let blister, bleed, crack, and burn, and continue the monitored process until I finish the lower lip. It's going to be a real pain. My advice to you----
    WEAR SUNSCREEN on your LIPS and everywhere else!! Wear the widebrim hat! Listen to your dermatologist! :eek:

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Larry,

Please keep us posted on your progress with this issue. I know that you and I have yet to have the pleasure to talk to one another, but that does not change the degree of concern I have. Please stay safe, stay healthy, and continue to keep your line wet. Good luck.

dryflylarry likes this.
  3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

That's some sage advice. I'm a firm believer in floppy hats & long sleeves as well as sunscreen on my face when on the water. Prayer sent on your behalf, Larry.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Good advice Larry. Hope all goes well with the treatment.

dryflylarry likes this.
  5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    After having two malignant melanomas removed, I don't take chances anymore. Lightweight long sleeve shirts, pants, hat and plenty of sunscreen when out in the sun.
    Good luck with your treatment Larry.

dryflylarry and Rod Wittner like this.
  6. Flyfishmark

Flyfishmark New Member

Great advice Larry. I have gone vampire when it comes to sunlight! Good luck and hope you heal soon!

7. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Glad you got it checked Larry and before it became cancerous. I had a basil carcinoma removed from the side of my nose 4 years ago. So far I've been cancer free. If I see or notice something not quite right, I do not hesitate to see the dermatologist.

And good luck with your treatment.

Rod Wittner and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ack, sorry Larry, glad you checked it out asap.
    I spent my youth/20's working/climbing/hiking in the Desert Southwest and had little care about getting burned. Now at 47 I have had a handful of pre cancerous bits removed and am acutely aware when I am out on the water. Paranoid in fact that I cover up as much as possible. UV Buffs, floppy hat and long pants are now standard wear for me.
    Good luck man and keep covered!!

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

My best wishes to you Larry. I haven't been them best with sun protection. Gotta pay more attention.

MB

dryflylarry likes this.
  10. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Sorry to hear your misfortune! I live on the west side of the mountains so I don't have to worry, haven't seen the sun since I moved here ;)

11. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    So does Larry. Don't waste a minute thinking that because you don't see direct sun, it's not doing damage.

K

Jim Wallace likes this.
  12. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

but, i have such a nice tan. that is what people say. you get a better tan with sunscreen, i know cuz i do it. larry, hope things go well for you. mike w

13. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    G'luck Larry. Thanks for the reminder.

That's why I tie flies during the day and fish only at night...

D

dryflylarry likes this.
  14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Thanks for everyone's concern. It is squamous cell carcinoma and is generally not life threatening, but can be aggressive in some cases. My dermatologist says it can be aggressive if not treated, especially on your lips. Hopefully, I'll nip this in the bud! I just wanted to worn you all of the dangers, especially you young fly fisherman. Use the sunscreen and don't forget your lips!! My love life is going to be a little dull for a month or more...... maybe... :D :eek: Darn.

wadin' boot and Jim Wallace like this.
  15. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Much ditto as DanielOcean and others have said. Please keep us informed of your total remission and cure!

Take MUCH care Larry from a retired Oncologist,

TR

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for bringing this up, Larry. I need to go in and get a bunch of new "precancerous" spots norched off. Last summer's and this year's. They weren't there before.
    My lips probably need the same treatment yours are getting. they feel tender nearly all the time now.

Even the best SPF 100 waterproof sunscreen that money can buy is only good for less than 2 hours while surfing or swimming. I've been joking that I am the "sheik of the soggy sands" here, since I've been wearing a flats cap with a sun veil in the back, and always long sleeves.

I always wear my hood and gloves when surfing, even on hot days when the water is in the higher temp ranges. I'd rather parboil than fry.

I am now in the very highest risk category for skin cancer. I have all the qualifications. Fair skinned, and I freckle easily. My parents let me get severely sunburned on a vacation to the Russian River when I was only 4 years old. I had huge second degree sunburn blisters on my shoulders. The doctor at the clinic in Guerneville (sp?) told my parents that it was easily the worst case of sunburn he'd ever seen. He even gave 'em a bit of a scolding about it.

Then, after we moved to Honolulu when I was 16, I was taking tetracycline (broad spectrum antibiotic) regularly for nearly 3 years. That was prescribed by the dermatologist I went to for my bad acne. One problem with that, is it makes one much more susceptible to sunburn, and I was a surfer and beach goer.

The sunscreens we had back then weren't all that effective, but we thought they were working, so my surfing buddies and school chums and I stayed out in the sun much longer than we should have. My lips got burned all the time. My entire face, too. Zinc oxide would easily get smeared off, and its messiness deterred us from using it.
    I started using a sunscreen called PreSun. I think it was nearly worthless, due to the ineffective ingredients in it at the time (late 60's and the 70's) and using it did more harm than good, since we thought it was working.

I'll have to pay cash out of my own pocket for this, on the "easy payment plan" as I haven't been able to find any medical insurance cheap enough that I can afford the monthly payments. The cheapest quotations I've been given are over $350/month.
    My one visit to the dermatology clinic to get a "cutaneous horn" removed from my face (Office visit totaled 15 minutes, procedure took about a minute, total) cost me over $500 by the time the lab fee kicked in. If I only have to do that a couple of times a year, I'm still miles ahead of making insurance payments.

So you young folks listen to Larry and me. We ain't blowin' hot air here. Maybe you can avoid this type of thing in later years.

I had a good surf session this evening, from 5:45 pm until about 7pm. I slathered my face with SPF 45 about a half hour before I went out. It was overcast and drizzling, but I still needed it.

dryflylarry likes this.
  17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Good luck with your treatment program, Larry, and thanks again for posting.:cool: I am starting to wear my wrap-around polarized Cocoons over my regular eyeglasses more often now, too.

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey Jim, I only pay 18 bucks for my medical and my prescriptions are free. If I go over $2700 a year, I have to pay for them. But the amount of pills I take I won't hit that amount.

The State of Montana has it's own old person health insurance.

19. NCL

NCL Active Member

Larry,
    Good luck with the treatment, hope it goes smoothly.

dryflylarry likes this.
  20. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Best of luck buddy, I was sorry to hear this. Something we all need to keep in mind, and take the necessary precautions. I'm not the best at remembering these things either, but I need start....

dryflylarry likes this.