Welcome / Introductions

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Chris Scoones, Dec 21, 2005.

1. troutingham Member

Seattle,Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi my name is Paul I grew up in Seattle..moved to LA to act and do music. Just finished www.gpsthemovie.com my first feature. Not a fly fishing movie but a corky goofy thriller filmed in the northwest. I also got to write the theme song..(Got Two fish with one fly). caught my first trout on a fly at twelve it was on Granite Creek in the north cascades I peed my pants and ever since that day Fly Fishing became my favorite video game (that's how I described it to friends.) The first time Matching the hatch was another story It's right up their with losing my virginity.
  2. Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

SeaTac, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Thought I'd introduce myself as well. I've been reading this website for the past couple of months and I really appreciate the great info that can be gleaned from all the forum inputs. Thanks to everyone for your contributions. I've been flyfishing since I was a teenageer (I'm 52 now, but can't really believe it). I became obsessed with steelhead in my 30s and had some great times, many in BC chasing native fish, and I now miss the wonderful Springs on the Sky and Falls on the Wenatchee. I don't do as much steelheading anymore, but I do a couple trips somewhere each year. In recent years I've delved into the bluewater (sailfish!!!) and bonefish world a bit. My absolute passion now is coho in the summertime, with my dream trip to an island off Prince Rupert every summer for a week of unbelievable fishing. Last summer we caught and released hundreds on dry flies (gurglers). It's my 'field of dreams'. I've become interested in finding another passion closer to home and something I can do more often. That lead me to consider beach fishing for coho and SRC and to this website for a leg up. This website has given me a wealth of info and the passion is back. I've been fast to the tying bench and checking this website every day. Thank you so much for this venue.
  3. Jay New Member

Redmond, WA
    Hello, my name is Jay Crimmins and this is my first post. I've lived in Washington
    my whole life and have always been an avid fisherman. Whitey and Rowdy are grade school friends who I still enjoy wetting a line with when I can. I recently purchased a raft from Danna at Swiftwater in Shoreline. Salt, lake, river, stream, I hit them all. I'm also interested in some opinions about a single hander getteing into some spey action.
  4. Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

around
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Howdy, my name's Mike, and I just signed up here a few days ago. I grew up in north idaho, but managed to miss out on the great fly fishing until my dad and I took a guided trip on the madison while I was in college. I learned to fly fish on the the Yakima, hoh, and elwha while in school in tacoma, and just moved back to the area. Smulkowski is always talking about this site and since I'm back in Washington I thought I'd sign up. I would have posted earlier but when the hoh went down to 5 g's I got fed up with waitin and watchin the gages and had to head out for a few days. Needless to say, the river was, uh, not quite in shape, but I still managed to pick up a little wild buck up in the park.
  5. Ken II LIB

Auburn,Wa.
    k2 Here, puget sound fly co. is hombase. See you on the river.:beer2:
  6. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Hello my name is Christian Brewer. I am originally from St. Louis, Mo and have lived in Mill Creek for 2 years now. I grew up lake fishing for bass, crappie, blue gill, and catfish from a dock on a small lake using only spincast reels. Once up here I was introduced by neighbor to trout, salmon, and steelhead fishing using spinning reels, baitcasters and then to fly fishing. I am pretty much hooked on fly fishing now and am still gearing up and trying to figure out the whole reading the water, picking the fly, casting correctly, mending the line and retrieving correctly, etc, etc. I am excited to find this site to learn from everyone and share some of my own trials and tribulations.
  7. fitzh2o trout extremist

Snohomish, WA
    Hello, My name is Don Fitzwater. I have lived in the Seattle area since 1991. I grew up in McCall, ID fishing for trout in local streams and high mountain lakes with flies. I chucked eggs down on the little salmon catching more than my fair share of steelhead as well. When I was 18 I moved out here to attend art school and have been here ever since- fly fising any chance I get (and working of course). In 1999 I started a side business wetfly.net with my parnter Kit Carlson selling flies online to get closer to our passion, fly fishing. Since the web has grown into a giant garage sale we recognized this was not why we got into the business. Our business focus changed in 2002 to support fly shops and lodges with superior quality flies knowing quality always wins in the long run. We partnered with Craig Black who is well recognized in the industry for quality and innovative patterns. In the fly shop world superior flies equal loyal customers. I have heard a lot about WFF and have been waching the boards for a few days before I decided to introduce myself. This looks like a great place for me to learn more about the needs of other fly fisherman so wetfly.net can better support the industry we all love. Flyfishing. And get some hot tips where I can go catch some fish too!
  8. toddsbernina New Member

Kennewick, WA
    hey
    I'm 19 been fishing since i could hold a pole. i didn't start fly fishing till a few years ago. i grew up in the Tri-City area fishing local spots for bass, catfish, salmon, and steelhead, all that is ok but what i realy enjoy is wading down a small mountain stream, trying to pick up a trout, landing him then letting him go to be caught another day. i've fished the Tucannon river, touchet, rocky ford cedar, skyhomish, yakima, columbia, snake and quite a few rivers in Montana. i have also been tying my own flys for a few years altho they arnt the prettyist flys they still some how pick up quite a few fish i now live in Walla Walla and i'm looking for some people to show me spots around the area this spring. If you want to go fishing drop me an email and we can work something out. toddsbernina@yahoo.com

Todd Stephens
  9. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Thought I'd introduce myself. I have lived in the N.W. for most of my life. I have been flyfishing for 35 years. I have also picked up the Bass fishing bug with fly gear and the last couple of years with gear. Kind of funny that I had to go on a guided Bass trip to learn how to use gear. I have kind of soured on fishing with crowds so I tend to do a little more out of the way places or fish the off times for the more well known places. Anyway I love the site and hope to see some of you out on the water !!
  10. farrerhaven New Member

Ukiah ,Ca
    Hello! Brian Farrer from Ca,I am new here and new to flyfishing.:thumb:I just bought 3acres up in Ione Washington right about 300yards from the Pend Oreille River.My wife Ann and I are looking to retire in 2011,so weve got five years to go:hmmm: I've lived most of my life in Ca. We are looking forward to chatting on line about our new home,fishing,and life in general.Brian.
  11. Bryce-Duvall-WA New Member

Duvall
    Hope I'm doing this correctly...

Okey Dokey... As my nickname would suggest, My name is Bryce and I live in Duvall, Wa. I've been a gear fisherman all my life and have recently switched over to the dark side. ba- ba- ba-... ba- babum ba- babum... Thanks to the folks at AATF for hooking me up and answering all of the newbie questions. More to come... Sorry Ron :D Anyway, Since I'm in Duvall there are a few locales that strike my fancy. The Sky, Tolt, Lk. Joy, Lk. Margaret, blackmans lake. I'm jumping in with both feet left being fly fishing and the right being fly tying. So, I will see you at the sportsman shows fly tying night maybe a rod building class, casting class or fly tying class. I'm always up for new places and new faces so thanks for a great site and I look forward to contributing posts from my vast knowledge of this sport. ;)

Take care,
    Bryce
  12. Charlie Riddle New Member

North Kitsap County, WA.
    Greetings from Poulsbo! I have been lurking around for quite awhile its about time I introduce myself. Name here is Charlie (retired) and home is north of Poulsbo in Kitsap Co. I am an avid fly fisher & tyer. Favorite river is the Yak. Enjoy all types of fishing but mostly fly fish for trout and salmon, and troll for salmon out of the boat. I am still looking forward to my first steelhead on a fly which will come someday. Also am looking forward to my first walleye and sturgeon.

I have learned lots from reading from the great posts others and hope to contribute in the future.

Tight Lines//
    Charlie
  13. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +277 / 1
    Hey Charlie, welcome.
    My name is David Loy and I graduated from NK in 1970. My best friend is in Lemolo (when he's in town). I grew up in Suquamish and trolled salmon on Agate Pass and at Jefferson Head with my father a lot. We also fished the North end of Hood Canal quite a bit. Poulsbo's changed quite a bit in the last 30+ years. I get over there once in a while.
    I see another guy from Kingston posting on this site occasionally but I haven't "fessed up" yet. Frankly, I haven't met anyone on this site and strongly suspect there actually only 2 or 3 guys with spatulate fingers typing all this trivial gossip.
    Later...
  14. Charlie Riddle New Member

North Kitsap County, WA.
    Hi David! I too like to fish Agate Pass and really enjoy fishing the canal. I have caught my share of fish from the beach and out of the boat. Geat place to live!

Tight Lines//
    Charlie
  15. BP97211 New Member

Portland, OR
    Hello all--

My name is Brian. I spend a lot of time on Westfly.com, as it seems more directed toward the Oregon angler--where I am now located. I was born in Seattle, and grew up in Issaquah. I was raised trolling the Sound 'round Deadman's Island with my dad using a plug herring for Salmon, and wasn't turned on to fly-fishing until 1994 at my Uncle's cabin on Wallowa Lake. Since then, my fly rods have followed me wherever I've gone: my last years at PLU, a short stint in Sacramento fishing the American River for Shad, to Germany where I fished in Denmark for Sea Trout, to law school on the east coast where I fished the Shenandoahs for brookies, to a stint in DC where I never dared to fish the Potamac, and now back to Oregon where I fish the rivers within a days drive of Portland for steelhead, SRCs, and redsides on the D, and usually a summer trip to Joseph to fish NEO. Of all my fishing, I enjoy most fishing at our family cabin with my cousin on the Sound for SRC in late summer at low tide--it's a tradition that I'm sure my cousin and I hope to pass on to his two little ones, and now my little one, born just days after Christmas this past year. I've just recently ventured into the world of speycasting, as this seems to be the here-now, here-to stay, and future of a lot of PNW fly angling. I'm looking forward to fishing the spey on the wide runs in rivers near Portland, and the D; I'm also looking to learn more about--or develop it if it hasn't been developed--a practical way to apply the two-handed rod to our fishing situation at our cabin: 18-23" SRCs, fished at the negative tide, requiring 100+ ft casts, and plenty of stripping. As I plan on spending more exploring my home State, I look forward to learning & sharing with the folks on the Board.
  16. BP97211 New Member

Portland, OR
    Hello all--

My name is Brian. I spend a lot of time on Westfly.com, as it seems more directed toward the Oregon angler--where I am now located. I was born in Seattle, and grew up in Issaquah. I was raised trolling the Sound 'round Deadman's Island with my dad using a plug herring for Salmon, and wasn't turned on to fly-fishing until 1994 at my Uncle's cabin on Wallowa Lake. Since then, my fly rods have followed me wherever I've gone: my last years at PLU, a short stint in Sacramento fishing the American River for Shad, to Germany where I fished in Denmark for Sea Trout, to law school on the east coast where I fished the Shenandoahs for brookies, to a stint in DC where I never dared to fish the Potamac, and now back to Oregon where I fish the rivers within a days drive of Portland for steelhead, SRCs, and redsides on the D, and usually a summer trip to Joseph to fish NEO. Of all my fishing, I enjoy most fishing at our family cabin with my cousin on the Sound for SRC in late summer at low tide--it's a tradition that I'm sure my cousin and I hope to pass on to his two little ones, and now my little one, born just days after Christmas this past year. I've just recently ventured into the world of speycasting, as this seems to be the here-now, here-to stay, and future of a lot of PNW fly angling. I'm looking forward to fishing the spey on the wide runs in rivers near Portland, and the D; I'm also looking to learn more about--or develop it if it hasn't been developed--a practical way to apply the two-handed rod to our fishing situation at our cabin: 18-23" SRCs, fished at the negative tide, requiring 100+ ft casts, and plenty of stripping. As I plan on spending more time exploring my home State, I look forward to learning & sharing with the folks on the Board.
  17. jrkenney2001 Lets do this!

Lynnwood, Wa
    Whats up everyone!

New to the Forum and Flyfishing actually. I used to mess around a little while I was younger, but then I joined the army and didn't have much time to fish. I just recently got out of the army after 8 years and now live in Lynnwood. Just went flyfishing the last week before the river season opened. Now i'm hooked on flyfishing and I can't go to Skykomish where I went a couple of weeks ago!
  18. Shensler New Member

Bothell, WA
    Nice site w/lots of good info.

I moved to the area from upstate New York where most of my fishing time was spent on the Susquehanna River (small mouth, carp, pike/muskie), small creeks in the Finger Lakes region, and some time on the Beaverkill and the upper Deleware. I also lived in the Midwest for a few years and loved fishing the driftless areas in Wisconsin just west of Madison (Black Earth Creek, Timber Coulee, and Kickapoo Creek).

One thing my resume is missing is STEELHEAD and SALMON. I don't know anything about either of these fishing techniques, but it's all anyone talks about. I'm excited about learning to fish for salmonids (sp?), but am also worried about missing out on good trout fishing on small creeks. I have bought a couple of books, but everything is geared around salmon. Any help?

Steve
  19. Drag-Free Drift Member

Lakewood, WA
    Hello All,

I've been reading this board and using the excellent ideas that I've gleaned from it for several months now. Heck, I've even contributed a few posts, so I figured it's about time I introduced myself.

I was born at the end of WWII, and although I've been hooked on fishing since I was about eight and even somehow used flies with the old cane spinning rod I had as a kid, I didn't start flyfishing seriously until about 1970 when I was stationed in California with the army. Neither my dad nor any other male relative of mine fished, so I was pretty well self-taught at first. I read everything I could on the subjects of flyfishing and flytying, talked to other flyfishers I met on rivers, did a lot of trial and error learning, and eventually became at least minimally proficient. Sometimes this learning process was frustrating, but the tenacity of fly-caught jack chinook from the Eel and the unbelievable beauty and strength of my first steelhead, from the lagoon at the mouth of the Little Sur, made me commit to a life-long relationship with flyfishing for anadromous fish.

After retiring from the army, I returned to school to beef up my credentials and then started teaching in public schools, a profession that gave me time to finally fish summers in Alaska and the Yukon. I love the wilderness and space that still exists there, having made at least ten trips to various parts of that region, some lasting as long as two months, and I'll probably go back up there again this year. The thing about teaching, though, was that I had very little time to fish other than during the summer. With as many as 180 students some years, much of my "spare time" time was spent grading papers, preparing for classes, contacting parents, taking continuing ed classes, and so on, making more than a few weekend fishing trips almost impossible.

In the fall of 2004, I retired for the second time and for good, determined to catch up on the local fishing scene, tie more flies, and build some more rods now that I had the time. Well, there is a not-unwelcomed fly in the ointment: my children now have their own children, including a set of twins, so, although I hadn't counted on it, I now do a great deal more babysitting than I ever thought I would. This cuts into fishing time, at least until the grandkids are old enough to come with me to the rivers and lakes and have been trained up a bit. It certainly is nice being sometimes able to fish during the week, though; as I had predicated you do get away from the crowds, but not as much as I had thought. I'm finding that there is quite a crowd of old codgers like me out there with the same idea.

I am especially interested in honing my trout fishing skills on rivers like the Yakima and the Cedar, both of which I have yet to fish, and on learning to flyfish the salt effectively, something I have done very little of to date. I'm confident that this board will continue to inspire me and educate me. I'm very glad I have found a place peopled by such unselfish folks who seem so very willing to help others learn the many intricacies of our wonderful sport.

--Roy
  20. custodyboss New Member

Vancouver, Washington
    Hiya, I am Matt. I just found this site and I am getting aquainted. I am a life long resident of Washington, I have tied my own and built rods for over 20 yrs. I had and uncle that worked for Herters way back teach me as a kid. I work for the County Sheriff's office in the County Jail. I am a huge fan of taking my Jeep to remote small streams and working my fav 2 weight.

waiting for spring.............