Welcome / Introductions

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Chris Scoones, Dec 21, 2005.

1. catdaddy027

catdaddy027 Banned or Parked

Hi everybody...

My name is Chris Montgomery and have been checking out the forum for a while...I've never posted until tonight and just observed from the sidelines so to speak..I'm relatively new to the north-west, having been raised in western CO and western TX. Fly fishing was something my father and I did as a novelty between meat fishing expiditions (he fed his family on trout while in college), but a part of growing up that I have come to cherish. I still love the taste of a freshly grilled cut-throat but have adopted the catch and release spirit...Been strictly fly fishing since the early 90's... catch and release where regulated and never keep more than I can eat or provide that day. I find no greater satisfaction than that of catching and eating a noble trout on a dry fly. I went on a steelhead fishing trip in New York last year and was really turned off to the idea of pissing a fish off to bite my fly, it didn't stop me from hooking a few on the trip, but turned me off to pursuing the fish here. I love casting a dry and watching a trout rise to it...There is something cathartic and mycstical about the process. I would love to meet some of the interesting characters that post on this board and look forward to encounters on the rivers.

2. Bead Head

Bead Head New Member

Hi everybody.
    My name is Felipe and I live in North Vancouver BC. I've been fly fishing for about a year now and the only thing I find more addictive than fishing is fly tying. :p

3. timirish

timirish New Member

Stehekin is home for now.
    In 1983 I walked into a certain flyfishing store in bellevue and told them I was guiding on the Yakima. They said no one would pay money to fish that river and I was laughed out of the place. I set out to proove them wrong. I had help from some others specifically Warren and Jim and the Yakima River Alliance and we changed the management of that river and I did hundreds of lectures, shows, writings, a video still in print, and even a show on ESPN. I see some of you on this site enjoy that fishery now and you do know that I prooved them wrong. I went 4 years guiding the yak before I saw my first other boat in 1987, but I did occationally see a bank fisherman.
    I worked at a fly shop in the seattle area for many years and guided a lot, lectured, wrote, but I was best known for my teaching of flycasting and selective trout presentation.
    The last 13 years I have operated a year around lodge in Stehekin. I am retiring this fall I hope...back to E'burg !!! I will be getting back into teaching. I do miss seing all my friends out there.

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Good to see you on here Tim and again on the river. Miss those late 80's days over there. Everyone here will benefit from your presence.

5. sugaheavyd

sugaheavyd New Member

Hey, all! Name is Derek and I'm a novice fly fisherman at best so i'll pretty much just be lurking to learn. Western Washington fisherman hoping to move from trout fishing to steelhead in the next couple of years. Want to say this board kicks butt - nice to see a community dedicated at helping one another!

6. Trophy trout.

Trophy trout. 12 pounds,12 steps,12 traditions,The Way Of Life !

Home Page:
    Hi there fellas ! My name is Biggi, I´m an Icelander and very , very sick fly-tyer and fly-angler. Hope to have a nice time on your site and get to know U all.

7. John

John New Member

Hey Guys
    Im not really "new" to the boards i just never post, enjoy reading comments and wishing i had more time to fish. And im also trying to figure why my name isnt up on the members list, hopefully this works!

John

8. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

Media:
    I'm originally from Alaska, but I've been going to school in Eastern washington for two years. The resident youngun' of this site, Zen piscator, has been kind enough to introduce me to Eastern Washington A-runners whille consistently outfishing me.
    I started fishing in Ak when I was about twelve and got serious about it at seventeen. The rest is history.

9. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    Hello, been lurking awhile and decided to get busy and get in on the action. I live in Bend Oregon and love to steelhead fish with a fly rod. The lower Deschutes and N. Umpqua are where I can usually be found in the summer months. I think this discussion board is a hoot and can also be quite informative.Once again a big Hello out to all the others out there with the same fishing disease as I have been aflicted with.

Fish on!!
    Mark(aka thewaker):beer2:

10. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Hi, I'm Allison. I've been spincasting (selective gear) for a couple of years, and just made the big leap to FF. I like to fish high lakes, and am a member of the Hi-Lakers, and regularly attend Trail Blazer meetings. I've been hiking since I was a little kid, and have been drawn to fishing, initially as an excuse to hang out at high lakes, but it seems to be taking on a life of its own. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount there is to learn with FF. With spincasting, I always just pitched the lure into the water and hauled them in if I got one on the line. I never thought of fish as something to be "stalked" :D but am starting to see the light of day on that. I just caught my first fish on fly gear a few days ago, and am intrigued with all it takes to bring a fish in on fly gear.

I'm getting some instruction in casting and tying, and hope to be a "real" fly fisher in good time.

I'm always looking for partners in crime, especially of the female persuasion, if for no other reason that there don't seem to be a lot of other girls who like to fish and/or bash the brush. I also think my casting might benefit from seeing the way other girls do it. That said, I usually end up fishing with guys and there is nothing wrong with that either.:cool:

In any case, this looks like a great forum and I look forward to becoming part of the community.

11. Mountain Rook

Mountain Rook New Member

Greetings Everybody,
    I would like to say thanks in advance for any and all help.
    I have been reading over the post's for the last couple days and it looks like there is a lot of knowledge on the board.
    I'm brand new to Fly Fishing, I just bought my first rod & reel combo and Pontoon Boat. The rod & reel is a Martin Mountain Brook, the Pontoon Boat is a Colorado 9ft tubes.
    I look forward to be part of the group.
    Thanks Jim

12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

Wasilla, Alaska where it's too freaking windy
    hi all, I'm Dan, I grew up in silicon valley of CAlif, and didn't start fishing much until I moved to Oregon as a freshman in h.s. and remember how excited I was at the thought of moving to OR. I grew up fishing the upper Rogue r. and started fly fishing in my soph year for steelhead. When the college bell rang I didn't know any better and went back home to CA to be with family. Living in CA without a boat for almost 22yrs, my life of fishing had been what seemed in an everlasting dorment! Getting back to OR a few times for the spring chinook runs. Finally getting a boat in 2002, i was able to fish the ocean 2 yrs and moved to AK in May of '04.

I caught my first king on a fly fishing the kasilof in June of '05, not knowing the next day I would hook 20. It was unreal. This year, will be my first at spending much more time fishing for big bows and dollies on the upper kenai. I have thought about moving to WA but will know more later. Good fishin to all you guys in WA. I look forward to learning & thanks for this attractive website

13. Robison

Robison aka..Thud

Home Page:
    Hi Guys,
    Status has changed from lurker to member. Name is Thad Robison aka Thud.
    Currently reside in SLC Utah but have lived in Idaho, Oklahoma, Montana and Vancouver BC.
    Recently joined the Trout Bums at AEG as Assistant Marketing Director and Director of Shows where we have been touring the TBD Vol I – Patagonia across the country. It has been awesome as we have had sold out shows at nearly every venue we have toured.
    I also own an expedition company for fly fishing in Chile near Puerto Montt.
    I’ve been a fly chucker for over half my life and have traveled round the globe with fly rod in hand.
    This is a great forum and I look forward to getting to know the place.

14. fish on!

fish on! Member

Intro

Hey,

My name is Devin. I'm a 25 yr old from Marysville. Although I'm new to fly fishing, I've been fishing since I could hold a rod. If anyone has any useful info for beginners I'm all ears.
    I love to catch most any kind of fish and whenever I can. My wife Sarah is also wanting to learn the art of fly fishing, so the more I can learn, the more I'll be fishing.

Fish on! :D

15. dwfireoff

dwfireoff New Member

Hello, Thank you all for creating, posting, and providing all the information on this site and forum. I am a new member here, not a new fly fisherman,,that I have been doing for 30 plus years. I will try and share info as I can and post when I can as well.
    Doug

16. FlyfishnakedInc

FlyfishnakedInc If your not fishing your wasting time!!!!!

Home Page:
    Hello i'm new to the site and have been looking for some good local groups to be connected with also looking for some fishing partners to fish with. Hard around here to find people who want to fish so i end up solo most of the time.I tie my own have been for 23 years. Looking forward to the comraderie and the tips anyway just dropping a line . good fishing all

17. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    My name is mark ritari. I have been fly fishing for as long as i can remember. My parents have a place in island park, ID. Right in the middle of prime fly fishing territory. we dont go there nearly enough, but when we do i try to make the most of it. Right now im living in TriCities WA, and plan to go transfer to UofMontana in missoula next year. id be lying if i said flyfishing wasnt part of the reason im going there instead of somewhere closer.

18. Monte Blackburn

Monte Blackburn Wenatchee Valley Fly Fishers

Media:
    Hello everyone. My name is Monte, and my wife and I live in Wenatchee. I have fished all of my life, but I have been fly fishing for 10 years now. One of the most heartbreaking things about this area, in my opinion, is looking at the Wenatchee River and knowing it cannot be fished. It is such a beautiful river. I practice my casting on lakes, but my love is fishing rivers. I am a member of Wenatchee Valley Fly Fishers, a club here in Central Washington. At one meeting I met Steve Probasco, the editor –in- chief for Northwest Fly Fishing magazine. He treated us to a slide show on the Yakima River (he wrote a book on the river, a must read) and told me of a guide/ friend named Tim Irish. So if Tim is on this board, we all are in great company. There are so many forces and groups against fishermen and against fishing as a pleasure sport. Most of them have the financial backing to pay for lobbyists in Washington DC, and Olympia. I appeal to everyone to join a fly fishing club or group that has a voice in the Olympia politics. :ray1: I wish everyone tightlines and big fish!

19. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
    For some reason, I feel obligated to introduce myself, so... My name is Nick, I grew up gear fishing but graduated up to fly fishing about a year ago. I taught myself how to tie flies about a 3 years ago, but was too poor to afford any fly fishing gear (I was only 14). I found my first setup in an old abandoned garage (Yes it was abandoned, I didn't steal it), caught a beautiful little rainbow 15 minutes into my first outing. The fish catching tapered off from there, I haven't caught anything in so long... but, I am now obsessed with this site, flyfishing, fly tying, and fly tying, and have enough money to fish regularly. Thank god.

20. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    Hi everyone, my name is James and I live in Leavenworth Washington. I am a fisheries biologist for the Department of fish and wildlife. I graduated from CWU in 2004 in biology and have been working as a biologist for 2 years now. Before CWU I lived in Issaquah and worked at Creekside Angling Company for about 2 years. While in Ellensburg at CWU I worked for the Evening Hatch. I have been fishing since I can remember. I have done all sorts of fly fishing, including Lake, River, Puget Sound, Florida Keys, etc. I have also been tying flies for about 12 years now and have developed some pretty awesome patterns. My first job out of college was for a private contractor through the fish and wildlife. Part of my job was hook and line sampling and pumping the stomachs of trout caught in the Yakima river. I got to analyze the stomach contents of each trout caught, which helped me design some flies of my own that work wonders, and also limit the thousands of "must have patterns" for the Yakima. I try and fish the Yakima at least once a week until June 1st, where I switch to the smaller creeks of the Central cascades. This is my absolute favorite fishing. I am here to learn as well as share my knowledge. Hopefully we will see each other out on the water!

Tight lines!

James