Wenatchee season ?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BrianT, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BrianT Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Does anyone have an update on how long the Wenatchee may remain open? I read on Red's page that it looked like it may be only a 10 day season. I'll be in Leavenworth Tuesday through Thursday, and I'm trying to decide if I should pack to fish or not. Any update would be much appreciated. In the meantime I keep checking the wdfw page. Thanks.

Brian
  2. rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I believe it closed today... River opened Feb 8th and remained open 10 days till Feb. 17th. I have heard of fish being caught on the Swing and Nymphing. Personally i hit the river for 1 day and fished it both ways and came away skunked. Still a beautiful river with some amazing runs to swing!
  3. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I just checked WDFW the river is still open, don't know for how long.
    Kelly Michelsen
  4. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    I just read a report on the worley bugger's site and they talked with
    Travis M . biologist WDFW he told them the Wenatchee R. would remain open until the end of March.
    Kelly Michelsen
  5. BrianT Member

Seattle, WA
    Cool. Thanks, Kelly. I just found their FB page, and it sounds like March indeed. Looks like I'll be taking my gear!

Brian
  6. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Goodluck , I will be on the river tomorrow and that will be it for this season, I have rotator cuff surgurey Tuesday, I will have to wait until next fall for my steel addiction.
    Kelly Michelsen
  7. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I fished the lower river on Sunday with good results. I landed two within 2 1/2 hours and had a couple more take downs. Fun with the 8 weight!
  8. SOPoker Banned or Parked

Olympic Corrections Center, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Tyeoneon, were you swingin ? What colors or patterns if you might divulge ...
  9. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I was using a slow water drift with an indicator. I was trying to get my fly close to the faster moving water, taking in to consideration water temp and the affect it has on a fish and their activity. (The water was cold)! The first fish I caught on a simple egg pattern, weighted to get it as close to the bottom as possible. Surprised the hell out of me when I got the take. I switched to a purple leech pattern with a pink head and got the rest of the takes on that pattern. Barometer was dropping and weather was moving in. I don't know if that had any impact on the fish being more agressive, but I just had a lucky day out there. I fished by Cashmere WA and had a beer at Milepost 111 pub to celebrate. A couple of good steelhead holes around there. Good food at the pub, too! Hope this helps!
    rory likes this.
  10. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    anybody use the leavenworth shuttle service, thinking of a float.
  11. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +223 / 2
    Yeah I used them once. Went off without a hitch and they were where they said they'd be when they said they'd be. There was also a snafu that they worked out on the fly. Unbeknownst to us, our scheduled take out at the Chelan PUD park upstream of the confluence was closed due to the fires or something so they had to take my rig down stream to another take out after I had already left. They left word on my cell phone and I was able to confirm the take out soon after so it all turned out good.
  12. Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Ellensburg WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Brian,
    We've also heard the Wenatchee will likely remain open through March. The info you read was posted on the first day of the opener - which we need to update!
    Thanks,
    Steve Joyce
    Red's Fly Shop
  13. Steve J. Red's Fly Shop

Ellensburg WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I have also used Leavenworth Shuttle plenty of times: 509-548-7433
    Steve
  14. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Thank you.....
  15. SOPoker Banned or Parked

Olympic Corrections Center, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    What do you think will fish better the wenatchee, icicle creek or my secret river? I think I am going to head to the secret river just because I can count the backs of all the fish stacked up there...
  16. BrianT Member

Seattle, WA
    Just returned from Leavenworth. I had a wonderful time with my family, and managed to sneak in a bit of fishing too. On Wednesday I fished in the Dreyden area and had a good take 20 minutes into the day. Unfortunately I missed the fish, but it got the blood flowing a bit. I continued to fish downstream with no luck. Before heading back for dinner, I fished through the run where I had the take once more. Halfway through the run my reel began to click loudly and I set the hook. This time I didn't miss the take. Unfortunately after about a minute and a half or two the fish came unpinned. I was so hoping to finally report back to my wife that I'd caught a fish. Oh well. It was beautiful over there. Most importantly I realized that what I'm doing casting and fishing wise actually works. I wouldn't know it from fishing in the North Puget Sound, but it's amazing what having a few fish around will do. The first fish I missed swinging a black and red Hoh Bo. The second fish that I hooked was on an articulated ESL. Best of luck to those who fish it before closing.

Brian