Wet Aged Beef Top Sirloin Trial

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by mbowers, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I've been dry aging beef at home for a while and it produces a great ribeye with a fair amount of work and towel washing.

While the reviews I read on wet aging are generally that dry aging is far superior I decided to try the wet side anyway. I put the entire 15lb ish Choice grade top sirloin packed in the store's vacuum bag in the back of the fridge. It was left there for 3-4 weeks with a turning once a week or so before cutting into steaks. While it did not develop the rich flavor of a dry aged steak, it did get seriously tender IMHO. I would put it up against fresh beef tenderloin and the top sirloin is around 1/4 the price.

My overall conclusion is that while wet aging might not produce an awesome steak in every respect, for the amount of effort involved (almost zero) it is well worth doing.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +683 / 5
    When you were dry aging, you were using a towel? We always used cheese cloth with a drip pan under it. Just toss and go.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    And you're right about the wet aging. They store the full slabs of steaks in plastic bags at most wholesalers. Cold stored of course. They legally have to pull on a certain date, but still good because of temp. I always grab the stuff they put on the out of date shelf. But yes, not same as dry aging.

Btw, those of you that have had my smoked steaks (outside of 2 fly) have had wet aged steaks.
  4. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I was following the "Meatman" directions with towels but I can see cheese cloth would be easier. It's still a daily bit of work to maintain the slab at least early on when it's still very wet and that might get in the way of a weekend fishing trip! :)

Have you tried dry aging a sirloin or tenderloin? I have only dry aged ribeye and NY strip per meatman's recommendations.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/dry_aging_beef_info.htm
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Yes, there aren't many I haven't done. I was a butchers apprentice in high school, so learned a bit back then from an old butcher.

The reason for the cheesecloth was to help the steak breathe yet still hold the moisture in a residential fridge. No need to wrap in A commercial fridge, temp and humidity are perfectly controlled. Haven't checked the meat man out, but what worries me about towels in a residential fridge is the chance for bacterial growth. Would keep too much of the fluids next to steak in a non sealed condition. But I do prefer dry aged over wet aged.