what are these

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman44, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Look like Mysis shrimp.

golfman44 likes this.
  2. Yes, they are mysids, aka opossum shrimp. They are more closely related to amphipods and isopods among other crustaceans. The females brood their young in a pouch, the marsupium. We have over 10 species in Puget Sound. There are also freshwater mysids found in lakes, such as Mysis relicta. They can be a big part of the forage in some tailwater rivers when they get washed downstream.

Steve

formerguide, Bob Triggs and golfman44 like this.
  3. Interesting, thanks. Found about a million or so today at the beach chasing SRCs. Should have changed patterns to something mimicking these. Chum babys were getting hit so stuck with those

formerguide and Bob Triggs like this.
  4. There are a couple of small, flying saucer type of organisms at about 1:00. Are they scuds?

5. Nice video
    What camera?

Ron McNeal likes this.
  6. Gopro 3+. Video is 10x better not on YouTube but oh well.

I've been a popper junkie but I figure a small shrimp pattern like these dead drifted with some short fast strips might crush given how abundant they were

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. Atlantic Salmon fry.

golfman44 likes this.
  8. Send me the gps coordinates of that beach so I can verify.

golfman44 likes this.
  9. Trade coords for your z axis.

It goes by the name Reiter Beach

CLO likes this.
  10. I will trade coordinates for coordinates.

11. they look like the next fly i will be tying lol

12. Possibly gammarid amphipods. In some studies they have found that they were the predominant forage species extracted from stomach content samples in sea run Cutthroat. I'm sure this is related to availability and time of year.

Cougar Zeke and golfman44 like this.
  13. Interesting Bob! There were a ton of those and the Mysis shrimp running around. There were also a ton of baby sculpin in the muddy shallows.

14. Bob, I'd be interested in reading those studies if you're willing to post a reference.
    Do you have an opinion on when cutties key on these? I'm guessing spring and early summer months?
    From what I've learned these critters are sometimes referred to as "near shrimp". So shrimp-like patterns might be the way to go?

15. I ran across this pattern last night and am looking the the materials to try and tie up a few. Do you guys think this will work? image.jpg

flybill and Beachmen like this.
  16. Ok so with help from my wife I have found enough of the materials to get me started. I ended up having to make my own mono eyes but this is the end product. I would like to see what the rest of you have? image.jpg

flybill likes this.
  17. Homemade mono eyes are better. They look real and don't break like the storebought plastic ones do.
    There's a product that's called DNA frosty fish fibre that might be the green and white material.
    Nice shrimp by the way

18. Pat
    The material is correct just the color is off. It is a pattern that I got from thefeatherbender.com. It is very easy to tie. Think you

19. What's the carapace?