What Do You Use For A Fly Line to Leader Connection?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Couple ways for me.

My sink tip line and tips for speys I use an albright, however I use loops on all my other lines.

2. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I keep going back to my old school ways. I tried the loops but didn't like them for the reasons people cite -- they collect detritus, hang on the tip top eye, and the hinge impedes the energy transfer of the cast. The loops make the process easier especially for those folks who have problems with knots, but I'm not convinced that in this case "New and Improved" is anything but "New" and it's obviously not even that any more.

I nail knot (I used to use a paper clip but graduated to that great little nail knot tool) an 18" piece of 40lb Maxima to the fly line, coat it with any of the many products out there (years ago I used Aqua Seal), and then tie my leaders (I build my own using blood knots) to the butt section Maxima. I don't change leaders very often. Like others I just rebuild them. I have different leaders on different reels for the various line weights.

Trapper

GAT and Ron McNeal like this.
  3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I think loop to loop connections are the worst thing ever created.... I use them cause i am lazy

Ron McNeal and dibling like this.
  4. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

nail knot (using tie-fast takes about 30 seconds) i use a leader w/ a similar flex in the butt as the fly line (i like the 12' trouthunter finesse for 3-6wt) no redundant crap on the leader. will often last a whole year just replacing tippet, and eventually adding a length of 3 or 4X when i've cut back a bit. that leaves 2 blood knots on the leader at the end of the year. rio is coming out with a one piece line/leader this year, 90 bucks and you'll never change a leader again. just un-spool the line, and throw it out. tie a new backing knot, reel it up and be done. for 2015, ross reels will have a 1 piece reel/backing/line/leader combo. your choice of an elk hair caddis, or parachute adams pre-tied on the end. 500 bucks. only comes in gold anodized. sadly, you'll still have to atttach reel to rod at least once.

Tim Cottage and IveofIone like this.
  5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    For steelhead and salmon fishing I use loop to to loop. I add a small heavy mono section at the end of the fly line (to keep the leader from digging into the factory loop) and then loop on the leader. I do not use tapered leaders for steel or salmon, so its straight mono or fluoro (10#-15# for the most part).

Trout on small stream, I nail not home built leaders. Mono fro dry work, fluorocarbon for wet work.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    After I read this again, it got me thinking(I know I shouldn't do this) on what I used when I first started out in this sport. It was a little plastic thingy that was about 3/4 of a inch long. You inserted your fly line in one end and tied a knot in it and then you inserted in the other end you heavy leader and tied a knot in it. You then pulled on both lines to set the lines in the thingy. It was called a leader to line connection. I believe it was put out by Wright and McGill. It was something I used about 45 years ago. You can still find some now and then. They seemed to work for me.

I just remembered where I saw some. On my next trip I make to the big city(Butte) I'm going to get some to use on my 3wt's. See what thinking does for me.

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Leader Link

8. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I have some, used them when I first started (learned about them from my dad) but haven't used them for a while. They definitely make it easy.

9. Cold

Cold Member

I've used both the loop-to-loop and the nail knot method, and the inbetween (where the line doesn't have a factory loop) option of a short (~2-3") length of heavy mono nail knotted on, with a perfection loop tied into it...and for my fishing, the factory welded loop (on a quality line where it holds up) can't be beat. The little knotsense bulge, for me, hangs up in guides just as often as a new loop-to-loop connection, and after the loop on the fly line has a chance to set (a month or so of fishing), that connection actually goes through the guides better.

That being said, I tend to fish in a way that sees me changing leaders quite often, from a greased furled mono leader for dries, emergers, and high-water-column presentations, to an Ex. Super Fast sinking poly leader for streamers (and occasionally an extruded knotless fluoro leader if I'm forced to dredge a nymph). I may change my leader (everything from the fly line down) a dozen times in a given day if I'm seeing occasional risers, but taking more fish on streamers, and for this, the loop-to-loop can't be beat.

10. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I use loop to loop. Pretty much the only time the loop ever passes through the rod tip is when I'm first stripping out the line and when I'm breaking the rod down at the end of the day. If i've got a a fish on, by the time I'm getting near the loop to loop connection I just grab the leader anyhow.

I guess you stillwater jokers might have crazy long leaders so it may come in to play on a regular basis.

Don Freeman and Old406Kid like this.
  11. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I have been using tippet rings all season, and love them.

As for the line to leader connection...I hate welded loops, so they get cut off, and a decent nail knot is what completes that connection. And if I have time, I'll cover the nail knot with a nice smooth bead of Pliobond.

12. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

When was the last time anybody ever got into the backing catching Trout in Washington?

Olive bugger and Krusty like this.
  13. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Make it easy: loop to loop.

I even tie a perfection loop onto the end of my poly leaders for streamers and then run a perfection loop fly line to the streamer.

My casting is so bad, the least of my problems is a bad hinge or unsightly loop to loop connection.

I've never had a loop to loop break (knock on wood), but I've had non slip mono loops and improved clinch knots break.

14. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

July 18th, 1962. I was catching brook trout at Sacheen, and suddenly I was down into the backing within seconds. Turned out I had tail-hooked a big irritable muskrat with a Carey Special. Does that count?

15. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Only if you netted it

Krusty and Old Man like this.
  16. Shad

Shad Active Member

Nothing performs better than a good, old-fashioned nail knot. Of course, few things are as much of a pain in the ass to execute in the field. Strictly for the sake of convenience, I use looping systems most often. I agree with what others have said about how leader life can be extended for quite a while, but I must admit that I must not fully understand the principles of keeping a leader balanced so that it casts well for a long time, because I'm always in awe the first time I tie (loop?) on a new tapered leader at how much better it casts than my year-old Frankenstein job.

17. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Very close, but sorry Krusty, no cigar. Now if you had been using a dry fly in a size smaller than 18, it would have counted. Were you casting into the sunshine? That is important also.

Krusty likes this.
  18. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

No, it doesn't count. Now, if you'd hooked an otter, that would be a different story...

19. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Well ....being half shit-faced at the time should mean something.

20. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Well ....being half shit-faced at the time should mean something.