What is this mayfly???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by dryflylarry, Apr 26, 2013.

1. This was at Cady Lake today. I don't believe it hatched from the lake, so there is a tiny tiny outlet stream that they could come from. Is this a March Brown? Notice how long the tail is!! There is a center very short tail also. Tail is dark dun, wing is kind of dun with maybe a slight slight tint of brown. Body is chocolate brown. I haven't browsed my bug books yet. Help me! It can't be hatching in the lake! Look at those LONG tails! I didn't look close enough, they could be brown maybe, but I think more dun. Looking at this photo, the wing does look more brown, but outside today it looked more "dunish". Ha. mayfly2.jpg mayfly3.jpg

2. Hi Larry,

Very nice photos. This is male imago is Leptophlebia pacifica, an OR species which has now successfully migrated to north to WA. Leptophlebia is a stillwater genus, so it would have actually come from Cady Lake. Nice work.

dfl and dryflylarry like this.
  3. Wow thanks! Now that is interesting. The hatch was very sparse at best, but they were there. I had an imitation of sorts in my box and I picked up several fish, and missed several other strikes and the big one got away! I saw these there last year also.

4. I've seen them there too Larry, not very many. Seemed liked a hatch of five....I called them March Browns because they were brown.....

5. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy guy that have seen these Steve! Ha. Yes, pretty sparse. Let's hope they multiply!! Give some Cady Lake fish some real food to chase on the surface besides midges!

6. That's a good-lookin' bug.

7. It has one leg raised... I think it has a question. Too skinny for a MB... what's its common name, or does it have one?

8. I saw some like that last year on canyon creek. I remember those long tails

9. Hi Gene,

Yes, it certainly appears to have good manners.;)

As to common name, it's called a Western Black Quill by Rick Hafele & Dave Hughes in their wonderful book, Western Mayfly Hatches.

Jeff Dodd and dryflylarry like this.
  10. Larry throw it back looks like a size 12

dryflylarry likes this.
  11. Wow, look at the tail feathers on that dude! I don't think I have a package in the entire mess that could match those. :D

12. Cool mayfly!

As to the tails, I'd use dark dun microfibetts and a light dun microfibett for the short center tail (if I bothered with it at all...)

dryflylarry likes this.
  13. Very late answer I know but yes they do hatch from the lake, they do every year at cady the really cool thing is how they emerge if you ever get a chance to watch them it's incredible I think they actually do it under the surface and then as they break the surface they fly away almost instantly giving the fish very little time to get on the emerging adults, they seem to just explode out of the lake, I've had some vicious takes on subsurface emerger patterns.
    Tony

Jeff Dodd and Jim Speaker like this.
  14. What an exquisite insect; thanks for sharing, DFL!