what rod do u use

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bobkt76, Nov 14, 2001.

1. bobkt76 New Member

sumner, wa, good old usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    More choice!

You need either a bigger rod selection, or an "other" category. Sorry but my rod choice does not fit.
  3. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    More choice!

Sorry, the poll feature on the forum has a limited space for options. I'll work on that. In the mean time, just reply to the thread with your rod.

~Chris
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    More choice!

I use a couple of types and I could only vote for one - St Croix & Sage. I voted for St.Croix, but couldn't put in Sage.
  5. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    More choice!

Ok, so then I fish a WW Grigg #7 weight, and a Reddington #3/4 weight. And I am looking at a Cortland #4/5 weight.
  6. guest Guest

More choice!

I didn't know this poll was here until I looked at the site today. And I come here at least once a day. I think that if some one is going to have a poll it should last longer that one day. I have three fly rods. I like my Gloomis GL5 the best. I also have a GL4. And a Lamiglas. A 6wt Jim S.:TT
  7. Vic_sea New Member

More choice!

I use both St.Croix and Sage but voted for first one
  8. Gizler New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    More choice!

The poll should also include fishing situation. I have a number of different brands of fly rod that I use depending on the situation. For the sake of the poll though, I voted for sage as I seem to be the one I use whenever possible.
  9. bobkt76 New Member

sumner, wa, good old usa.
    More choice!

welll i tryed i will put mor thoughts in my nexed pole keep the sunny side up and the krusty side down keeep on trucking
  10. My 2 cents

Hey all,
    I too use both a Sage and St.Croix.
    8 wt. Sage for the anadromous (skookumpish)
    and a 6 wt. St. Croix for everything else(tenaspish)
  11. guest Guest

More choice!

Boy. My mind is leaving me. I said that I have a GL5. I don't think they make that kind. What I ment to say was a GL3. Jim S. :TT Boy old age is getting rougher.
  12. n1507l New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Favorite rods...

Like wine, fly rods are a personal thing. It depends on preference and comfort - some people cast a stiffer rod better, some people prefer something more flexible.

I've also discovered that I prefer different "brands" based on the rod and application. Here's what I have:

8 wt - Sage
    6 wt - Orvis
    5 wt - St. Croix
    3 wt - Loomis

Keep on truckin'

TG81
  13. Canedawg Member

Favorite rods...

Also ,some of us prefer bamboo over graphite. I find I feel the bact cast better,and bamboo is not as "snappy" as graphite.
  14. Flyfisher Frank New Member

Favorite rods...

I have to side with Canedawg. Last year my trout creek fishing was done entirely with a 5wt 3pc 7' bamboo rod. It's a cheap one and says 1949 on the shaft. What a pleasant rod though. Have to admit when I'm in the mood to steelhead it's StCroix, 9ft8wt or 15ft10 wt.-Flyfisher Frank:7
  15. guest Guest

Rod I use

Although I indicated Sage, I must confess that the rod I use most is a cheap K-Mart special 6wt. with a thirty-something year old forward taper on a cheapo reel w/no backing. I like living dangerously. Actually works pretty good though it casts terribly (the Line is really frayed), but gives me plenty of exercise.

I voted for the Sage because I have $1,000 invested in it and would like to get something out of it this year (it's a spey rod combo and I know jack about spey casting). I do take it out of its sleeve once in a while and admire it, but fish it I have not. Soon, though...