what rod do u use

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bobkt76, Nov 14, 2001.

1. bobkt76

bobkt76 New Member

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

More choice!

You need either a bigger rod selection, or an "other" category. Sorry but my rod choice does not fit.

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

More choice!

Sorry, the poll feature on the forum has a limited space for options. I'll work on that. In the mean time, just reply to the thread with your rod.

~Chris

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

More choice!

I use a couple of types and I could only vote for one - St Croix & Sage. I voted for St.Croix, but couldn't put in Sage.

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

More choice!

Ok, so then I fish a WW Grigg #7 weight, and a Reddington #3/4 weight. And I am looking at a Cortland #4/5 weight.

6. guest

guest Guest

More choice!

I didn't know this poll was here until I looked at the site today. And I come here at least once a day. I think that if some one is going to have a poll it should last longer that one day. I have three fly rods. I like my Gloomis GL5 the best. I also have a GL4. And a Lamiglas. A 6wt Jim S.:TT

7. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

More choice!

I use both St.Croix and Sage but voted for first one

8. Gizler

Gizler New Member

More choice!

The poll should also include fishing situation. I have a number of different brands of fly rod that I use depending on the situation. For the sake of the poll though, I voted for sage as I seem to be the one I use whenever possible.

9. bobkt76

bobkt76 New Member

More choice!

welll i tryed i will put mor thoughts in my nexed pole keep the sunny side up and the krusty side down keeep on trucking

10. Steelworker

Steelworker New Member

My 2 cents

Hey all,
    I too use both a Sage and St.Croix.
    8 wt. Sage for the anadromous (skookumpish)
    and a 6 wt. St. Croix for everything else(tenaspish)

11. guest

guest Guest

More choice!

Boy. My mind is leaving me. I said that I have a GL5. I don't think they make that kind. What I ment to say was a GL3. Jim S. :TT Boy old age is getting rougher.

12. n1507l

n1507l New Member

Favorite rods...

Like wine, fly rods are a personal thing. It depends on preference and comfort - some people cast a stiffer rod better, some people prefer something more flexible.

I've also discovered that I prefer different "brands" based on the rod and application. Here's what I have:

8 wt - Sage
    6 wt - Orvis
    5 wt - St. Croix
    3 wt - Loomis

Keep on truckin'

TG81

13. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

Favorite rods...

Also ,some of us prefer bamboo over graphite. I find I feel the bact cast better,and bamboo is not as "snappy" as graphite.

14. Flyfisher Frank

Flyfisher Frank New Member

Favorite rods...

I have to side with Canedawg. Last year my trout creek fishing was done entirely with a 5wt 3pc 7' bamboo rod. It's a cheap one and says 1949 on the shaft. What a pleasant rod though. Have to admit when I'm in the mood to steelhead it's StCroix, 9ft8wt or 15ft10 wt.-Flyfisher Frank:7

15. guest

guest Guest

Rod I use

Although I indicated Sage, I must confess that the rod I use most is a cheap K-Mart special 6wt. with a thirty-something year old forward taper on a cheapo reel w/no backing. I like living dangerously. Actually works pretty good though it casts terribly (the Line is really frayed), but gives me plenty of exercise.

I voted for the Sage because I have $1,000 invested in it and would like to get something out of it this year (it's a spey rod combo and I know jack about spey casting). I do take it out of its sleeve once in a while and admire it, but fish it I have not. Soon, though...