What the hell...?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Citori, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022158034_weirdfishxml.html#.UnGTttDOPpM.facebook

FYI

So the fish has no commercial value...it's being displayed on a picnic table outside a restaurant. You apparently can't even eat it. Does anyone know if it's even legal to "harvest" this fish in WA waters? So why kill it? Oh, wait...gillnets kill everything, so there wasn't even an opportunity to consider whether to kill it or not. Can someone tell me why the news media is celebrating this apparently senseless and wanton act? Would the story be the same if the 'tribal fisherman' pulled in a dead seal? Or maybe a dead orca? Or how about a dead ESA listed rockfish? I don't get it, maybe someone can explain it? <<Rhetorical question, no response required or expected>>

Rant ends here...
  2. Westfork Member

too far west
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    It's a not too uncommon catch among tuna fisherman off the Washington or Oregon coasts.
    Washington regs allow for two exotics (Sunfish, Dorado, etc.) per fisher folk in the limit when on the ocean last time I looked.
    According to Wikipedia: The meat of the ocean sunfish is considered a delicacy in some regions, the largest markets being Taiwan and Japan.
  3. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    I've seen 'em caught on hook-and-line a couple of times in southern Puget Sound.

Rare yes, but not not unheard of.

As Westfork said, not extremely uncommon on the coast.
  4. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    When fishing off Westport in the early 60s, I had an encounter with a mature Ocean Sunfish (Mola mola) which probably weighed at least 2000 pounds, or 5x a big as that one on the picnic table.

I had spotted a large fin waving around, perhaps 50 yards away. Being curious what it was, I approached it very slowly. It looked like the front end of a 20-foot fish, which had been cut off in the middle by the propeller of a large ship. Thinking it must be dead, i poked one of its fins with an oar to make sure. It reacted by diving so fast that it was out of sight within a second.

Still not having a clue what I had seen, when I got home, I described it to my father, who told me it was an Ocean Sunfish. Apparently, they acquired their common name based on their habit of sunning themselves on the ocean water's surface.
    John Hicks and rory like this.
  5. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Some weird creatures out there!
  6. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    We humans or the sea monsters? :cool:
    Taxon and Citori like this.
  7. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    That would be the question.
  8. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    Point well taken, constructeur. Given that choice, I would have to lean toward the former.
  9. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Both! haha
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    If yer talkin Hillyard, or Spokane's Sprague Avenue at 3 AM, the answer would be quite apparent. A decent ocean sunfish wouldn't be caught dead in either locale...but there'll be plenty of nightcrawlers...if you catch my drift.
  11. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    In the article, the restaurant owner says he wished there were a way to 'preserve it, as it's such a beautiful fish'.

I can think of one way, but it only works when it's still alive and you're out on the water.
    constructeur likes this.
  12. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    I thought the exact same thing.
  13. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    No good story ever started with... " as i was towing my gillnet"
    constructeur and Brad Nickel like this.