what Waterproof Boat Bag?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Dodd, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Each Fall I consider the purchase of a waterproof boat bag designed for fishing. These bags demand a premium price!, but when EVERYTHING is soaked and floating, an organized dry spot would be worth quite a sum.

What do you use in your small boat or pontoon?

Simms Dry Creek?
    Sage Torrent?
    Rubbermaid?
    Seattlesports http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=300&idcategory=27
    or something different that I should consider?

What bag/box? & what size?

2. 50 gallon trash bags, if need be i can turn into a wading jacket

I like the simms dry creek tho

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

When I need a waterproof bag in a boat I just use one of my kayaking drybags. Advantages -relatively cheap -variety of sizes available -watertightness assured -no zippers to fail -very lightweight compared to a suitcase style bag Disadvantages -load from top only, might need more than one bag to easily find stuff. That's about the only real disadvantage I can think of.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is my take on the "waterproof" boat bag. I have a Patagonia bag and it isn't completely waterproof (The zipper isn't watertight). This bag works great and keeps any splashes off of the contents. So that brings me to the issue with things being "waterproof". They are only waterproof when closed. If it is raining when you open the bag up, you will introduce water to the contents. So if you have a need for something to stay absolutely dry (i.e. cell phone, camera) then have a seperate bag for those items and keep it closed. Things like reels, lines, leaders, flies can go someplace watertight.

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

The reality of fishing on the wet side for salmon (assuming that is what you are doing) is that everything gets damp. If it is raining and you open a dry bag - a true dry bag) and your hand / sleeve is wet then your contents get a little damp.

I am an independent product designer and we work with these bags on a daily basis - both designing and producing. My go-to boat bag - and I have several - one loaded for the motor boat, one loaded for the raft, one loaded for my small lake skiff, is a BPS PVC bag with molded bottom. What I use is similar to what is in the link, but I am using prototypes.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Boat-Bags/product/10205325/

I have used these for days on end in the rain in Forks for my gear, while clothing goes in a true dry bag.

As you mentioned, the other option is a soft sided cooler. And the construction of a $30.00 soft sided cooler is nearly identical to a $200 Simms bag. Both will feature a PEVA type welded liner, both will have some execution of a PE foam padding / insulation. Where they differ is the soft sided cooler will likely have a 300D x 300D or 600D x 600D main fabric in poly with a PVC or PU coating, while the high end boat bags tend towards a PEVA coated 420D nylon. The boat bags dedicated to this application will also have some sort of organization. However with a few PE hard tackle cases you can create your own organization.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I do the same. I always have at least one drybag along in my larger boats (john boat and mini-drifter). In the larger craft, I usually have a large Rubbermaid storage bin along, too.
    I also have a roll-top drybag style fanny pack that I picked up on sale. Its a lot smaller than my regular roll-top drybags, but is great for stashing my fly boxes, camera, spare eye glasses, miscellaneous fly gear, and extra spools. It has a pocket on the front with a waterproof zipper, and a waterproof pocket on each side of the belt (also with waterproof zippers). I always take this along when fly fishing from my kayak or other small boats. Great for hiking and wading, too.
    I keep any extra dry clothing and larger items that need to stay dry in my larger roll-top drybags. In nicer weather, there are times when I'm trying to keep my gear to the absolute minimum, and then I don't even take along the larger drybags. At those times, everything fits nicely into the dry fanny pack and the pockets of my fishing kayak vest. Lunch and a microbrew fit in a small soft cooler, which may also hold a spare reel.
    Water bottles, sponge, bailing cup, rag, anchor, spare line, a pelican drybox, and the dry fanny pack can all fit in my plastic "milk crate" which is strapped in the cargo well behind me in either of my yaks.

That dry bag that Martyg references looks like a good one.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    There's another way to do things. Don't go fishing when it's raining out. And only take out with you what you need in your floating device.

I stay home when it's raining, I might melt.

8. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

NRS roll top dry bags are cheap, and they comes in lots of different sizes. They can be clipped to a railing or seat for security. Check out REI or Austin Kayak.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you want truly waterproof (i.e. immersible), and a zippered bag, go for a Sealline Zip Duffle: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/zip-duffle/product. I LOVE these bags for protecting my cameras while allowing fast/easy access to them in the water. But the Zip Duffle is overkill for most (i.e. non-whitewater) fishing applications.

If you want 'virtually' waterproof (i.e. not submersible, but otherwise waterproof), Orvis, Fishpond and Patagonia all have new or revised boat bags coming next spring (January to March depending on brand). PM me if you want specifics on the Spring'14 gear. The new Fishpond is a rolltop that reduces the price of their standard (zippered) boat bag, while increasing waterproofness.

That said, for gear on shelves today, the Fishpond zippered boat bag is hard to beat: http://fishpondusa.com/westwater-boat-bag.cfm

10. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Sagebrush Dry Goods "Standing Water" tackle bag.

I have one of their hip packs, and it goes under on a regular basis - as long as the zipper is closed all the way, it is waterproof.

12. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Great suggestions in these replies, thanks everyone for your personal and professional experience. This forum is full of knowledge

13. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Seattle Sports Plain Roll Up Dry Bags - I own 3.

I have an extra large bad that fits under the stripping apron of my 1972 Wooldridge 16' guide aluminum drift boat. I have abused it for over 15 years and it has not sprung a leak or broken anything. It has enough room for jackets, sack lunches, several drinking water bottles and various other boat essentials.

I have a smaller bag that fits nicely into my vintage 16ft aluminum canoe that constantly leaks. (The leak is from wrecking the canoe on a whitewater expedition when I was 16 years old, but that is another story)

I also have an old seattle sports small dry bag that i keep my cell phone, wallet and camera in. It fits in the back pocket of my vests or main compartment of my hydration packs. It too has been very durable over the years and kept my valuables from getting wet.
    I cannot say enough good things about the bags.

They are no nonsense reliable. I think i purchased them at REI in the mid 90's.

They are totally waterproof when the top is rolled and locked. I have accidentally dropped it in the water and nothing became damp or wet inside the bag.

The material is tough, durable.

The only downside is no compartments, so when searching for say the extra large mag flashlight at dusk you have to unload all the other items if what you are looking for is at the bottom of the bag. But well worth it in terms of cheap cost and durability.

Prices are very reasonable. See http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=33&idcategory=11

14. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I like my Simms dry creek. Had it for a year and a half and it goes everywhere with me, and all without any noticeable wear. That being said, the material itself is waterproof, but the zipper is not. If you need a waterproof zipper, I'd get the Patagonia, probably the best one on the market.

15. Phishy

Phishy Member

You can get a great deal on these at Sierra Trading Post, especially with one of their emailed coupons.

16. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Seal Line bags hands down!!!