What's the best way to land a >20lb Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    Diameter of a softball is roughly 5 in fish is about 7 rocks long and about average thickness. I would put it at 16 to 20 lbs. nice fish regardless.

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Here's one.

[​IMG]

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Looks like you just got done punching it in the top of the head! Or are getting ready to...

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is that the BC fish that got caught every other day?

constructeur likes this.
  5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Luke,

Andy probably thinks he has an 11" schlong too, but I put the size of a softball at closer to 4" than 5". And the length of your fish at 6 2/3 softballs, or about 27" and 7 pounds. Close? What do I win?

And Kerry is wrong. Again. More than two of us in this thread already have landed steelhead over 20#. Assuming Wayne's old boot counts.

Sg

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I said is going to hook into one. Are you and WW planning on catching one again anytime soon? For the record I have seen two legitimate twenty plus pounders landed. One I caught off the old Lyman bar and the other a friend got off the Sauk bar. Both were caught more than a few years ago. I had one other that may have pushed eighteen. Twenty pounders are rare.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:

Interesting. I've seen them caught every year for the last three years now.

8. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I don't know Salmo, we never landed it, but I can guarantee it was bigger than 7 pounds. Based on my experience and previous knowledge and having been up close to it, I'd say it was more than 15 lbs....but alas...we'll never know.

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

Here's a good idea . . .

Fish On! A Guide to Playing and Landing Big Fish on a Fly written by Floyd Franke; Forward by Joan Salvato Wulff

Fly Fishing Book Review by Bob Triggs - Little Stone Flyfisher : Guide
    [​IMG]
    Fish On! A Guide to Playing and Landing Big Fish on a Fly
    Written by Floyd Franke; Forward by Joan Salvato Wulff
    Publisher: National Book Network Inc.
    120 pages, Clothbound
    ISBN 1-58667-070-0
    $24.95

Sometimes the simplest things are the least obvious. When Floyd Franke pointed out to me that this was the first book ever published on the subject of hooking, playing and landing trophy fish on the flyrod, I was a little surprised. I shouldn't have been. The two most common areas that flyfishers seem to have problems with are casting and playing and landing fish. Though reams have been published on casting, precious little ink has been devoted to the rest of the job. Most guides agree that many fly anglers struggle with the big ones, often losing them at their feet. I have a hunch that this recent addition to the Derrydale Press collection will become an angling literature classic. And along the way a great many fly fishers are going to take a giant step-up in the quality of their fishing experience.
    I first met Floyd Franke over a decade ago at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum, where he was demonstrating his meticulopus fly tying skills for the visitors at the annual Opening Day events. Floyd is a world recognized expert fly tier, has won numerous awards, and has many original fly patterns to his credit. Floyd's articles are widely published. He has been the Director of the Casting Board of Governors of the Federation of Flyfishers. And after many years on the staff of the Wulff School of Flyfishing, teaching along with Lee and Joan Salvato Wulff, is now head of the teaching program there. He also runs the Ephemera Guide Service in Roscoe New York, where he lives with his wife Bert, just steps away from the banks of the legendary Beaverkill River.
    I had the good fortune of taking fly casting instruction from Floyd, both at the Wulff Instructor's School and during my work for FFF Casting Instructor Certification. Floyd is a wonderfully gifted teacher; he makes the complicated seem simple, while encouraging you to work harder than you ever have before. In short, he makes difficult things possible. When I first saw him giving a talk, at a winter flyfishing show near Boston some years ago,on the techniques revealed in this book, the entire room was spellbound. Floyd's passion for the subject is overwhelming. I have used many of his revolutionary angling methods in my guiding and teaching work ever since. If you take the time to learn these angling techniques your success rate at landing fish will go up. Way up.
    Floyd's organizational skills and clear, concise style of presentation ring throughout this long overdue work. Beginning with an overview of his own angling career path; sharing his many struggles and achievements along the way,( broken rods and leaders, lost fish and the ones that got away, and trophies landed too), Floyd chronicles his progress and learning, from his humble worm-dunking days as a boy, to his times shared fishing and teaching with fly angling legends and pioneers Lee and Joan Salvato Wulff. While Floyd credits much of the foundational work of his methods to the Wulffs, it is obvious that the author has steeped himself in this subject to an extroadinary depth. Most of the scenery in this book will relate strongly to freshwater fly fishing, yet much is to be gained through careful study for all kinds of fishers, including saltwater boat anglers. Simple line drawings and a few photographs illuminate the topic. An interesting, if not downright unusual, chapter on the playing and landing characteristics of numerous gamefish species got my attention. The last chapter: "Conservation/Catch and Release" is a fitting close for this book, and a reminder of the responsibilities inherent in modern conservation angling. Something sorely missing from many angling books.
    The book begins with the classic "Three Rules for Playing Big Fish":
    " To keep the rod tip up, to keep the pressure on, and to not allow slack is about as uncomplicated as it gets. But the three rules are only a starting point. Learning the rules is followed by learning when to break them."
    Over the next six chapters Floyd Franke breaks every rule in the book to help you learn something about landing trophy fish, with less effort and less harm to the fish, and much more quickly than many anglers would assume possible. First off; Floyd defines a "big fish" as relative to the tackle being used. So for any given weight rod and line, and any sport fishing species, there are sure to be some lessons learned. For the most part the work is directed toward catch and release angling, with a great deal of attention to understanding rods, reels, lines, leader and tippett construction, materials, knots etc. But everything is presented with the understanding that you are now taking a huge leap past everything else you may have known about the wild ride of handling a big fish in fast water. You will be learning how and when to break the old rules.
    Some of it will be a surprise. Floyd gives some very detailed accounts of how beneficial it often is to give a thrashing fish all the slack that you possibly can; rod pointed toward the fish and virtually no drag at all. He is not just talking about simply "bowing the rod" to a leaping fish either- He's talking about free-wheeling SLACK! When was the last time you tried that on a southbound, chrome-bright, winter steelhead? It works! Ever try calmly walking a big ,ocean fresh King Salmon up a beach to the next pool?
    First Floyd shows you how to test your own tackle to be sure that you have what it takes. Then he discusses the way rods really work when we have a big fish pulling on the end of our line. Then he teaches us how to play and land the big ones. It takes some study and practise. And you will have to do that yourself. But this book could help you land some of the biggest fish of your life. It has worked for me.

www.amazon.com/dp/1586670700 fishon.jpg

John Hicks likes this.
  10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:

23lbs.

11. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    But the strength to length function is in no way linear. It's some kind of power function. I'm always somewhat shocked when I hook up a 3 salt fish.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  12. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
  13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    In a word - yes!

I always plan on catching one! :)

Bob Triggs likes this.
  14. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    He bit every other day. He only got caught by us once!

KerryS likes this.
  15. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    No fish were punched in the making of that photo.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  16. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    You should count your blessings. Landing an 11" schlong might get quite messy...

Bob Triggs likes this.
  17. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    My tape measure turns 20 pounders into 15-17 pounders a lot. I suspect if others taped fish they would have a similar experience. Doesn't really matter tho it doesn't need to be 40" or even 30" to be an amazing fish. I'm a sucker for big chrome hens myself. They go absolutely ballistic, the explosive power is scary. When I dream of winter steelhead it's hens like this....

36" by 19" of oceanic perfection. What a show! I was happy just to have shared the moment with my buddy.

Attached Files:

Irafly, John Hicks, JS and 7 others like this.
  18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think this fish is at least twenty pounds.....

Since the internet has come into being the increase in twenty pound steelhead being caught has been phenominal.

Steve Call and Bob Triggs like this.
  19. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    its 34 in and 14 pounds. But, your right a soft ball is 4in which would make that fish about seven pounds lighter than I originally figured.

20. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

With or without the use of Photoshop? :D

Bob Triggs likes this.