Where are the grouse?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by ribka, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ribka

ribka Active Member

Hiking and shed hunting today when I found this at the mouth of a big canyon
    hik6.jpg

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

I thought that was wierd. Size of a small chicken egg. I thought to myself that looks like a grouse egg. But it can't be because no sane grouse would nest out in exposed bunch grass 1/2 mile from the nearest trees.

I look a foot up hill from egg and saw this, See a ruffed grouse nesting under a balsam root flower. I walked away and left her. I was standing a foot away for about 5 min and she never moved

hik2.jpg

Managed to find a few sheds

Attached Files:

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

It looks like you had a great hike. Nice finds on the sheds. When I retire I plan on spending a lot more time in the woods too.

4. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Pretty cool! I was out at browns lake during the opener and took Otto for a walk. We flushed half a dozen. And I was hearing them drum all over when out on the lake. Hard to not think about bird hunting all the time!

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Adams just returned from a trip to Texas to visit the old folks, and returned with a new AYA #2 in 20 gauge. There goes my neighborhood! He'll insist on getting out for some grouse "scouting" as soon as he recovers from the trip. Btw, he also told me on the phone that the Cabela's in Austin has plenty of firearms-including those evil "black" guns-and ammo. No shortages there, and the cigar stores actually allow smoking in the store!!!!!