where are the non crowded river spots?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by caddisaction, Apr 21, 2002.

1. alessis

alessis New Member

My apologies Micro Brew, I was most definately not calling you lazy. A few posts after your reply describes lazy as not will to walk to far. It sounds to me like you do hike in a bit and I bet generally after hiking in you have the place to yourself. That was the point of my advice, if you are willing to walk, even a little ways, you can find some great spots and have them to yourself.

I was not calling flyfishers lazy as in sitting-on-an-upside-down-bucket-power-baiting-sucking-down-mountain-dew-and-stuffing-your-face-with-cheetos-on-the-dock! Flyfishers arn't lazy like that!

Tight lines,

Alessis

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

There is also chapter 366 in Des Moines I just myself joined last month most of the members seem to be flyfishers with a few salmon fishers thrown in to the mix. Being a member also gets you a list of the trout plants earlier then most if you are in to the local lake action plus other benifits. All $ raised though membership goes into protecting our waters and our right to fish with both local and federal goverments. Trout Unlimit has done a lot to help us all, with all types of fishing related causes, a very good cause to support.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Alessis:

Thanks, I understand. It really doesn't take much to find that quiet spot, but a little effort can go a long way. Perhaps we will meet on one of those bushwacking / hiking trips to an off the road spots.

4. guest

guest Guest

I might be old,but I'm good

Go to Costco. Only 10.95 there.

Jim :COOK

5. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

The best thing you can do is for you and Dad to buy pontoon boats! They are cheap nowadays, as low as $250 and it will open up all sorts of possibilities. Float the rivers and find all sorts of spots not ever touched by bank fisherman. Don't expect to fish out of them much, they are best used as transportation from run to run.

***The key to your success here is covering as much water as you can in a day...If you are fishing a bank access area, there might not be any fish in that area and you can cast all day with no success. This is especially true with the salmon and steelhead runs. If you keep moving, trying different spots, you will find the fish.***

Another bit of advise...make sure you get one with a good anchor system that you can release with one hand and that will lock when you let go of the rope. Go check out the fishcat 9 model closeup and you will know what i mean. If you are fishing while floating down the river and hook a big fish, you use your flippers and navigate to the shore to the shallows, use one hand and drop the anchor and stand up and walk away from the boat and continue playing the fish. Works like a charm!

6. troutski

troutski New Member

Although this fishing wasn't free of charge, it sure was free of people and close enough to be an "any afternoon" getaway. The lands east of Weyerhauser gate 10 have required a 65.00 permit (yearly) to gain access to their property. There are beautiful spots to fish the Snoqualmie river back there (pools,runs,boulder pockets) and in a couple dozen trips have seen a total of three fishermen. This area is going through changes of ownership (link posted on this site) but I believe these permits are for sale now for the 2002 season. Fish sizes are small unfortunately but it's hard to get skunked. I have seen Cougar in there also. Really an indicator of how much human activity goes on along that reach of the river. The fee is just enough discouragement to keep this area vacant. ...Zane

7. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

There are no crowds on rivers outside 100 yds of their access points. In addition to that, look for pull-out along rivers. If there are no cars parked, the fishing is probably all yours. The advice about maps, flyshops, guide books is all good. Join a fly fishing club.
    Randy

8. sjterry

sjterry Sr. Lurker

I agree with those who tell you to try the head waters of anything or any lake/water that is more than a 1/4 mile hike. For example parts of the Green above the dam and outside of the "closed" area has some nice small fish and I have never seen anyone. However, the fishing can be very hit or miss depending on water temp because it is a small stream at that point. Once you get your map find a well known, productive river and try hiking up above any baracade to the sea run fish. Also, I have found that rivers with steep gradiants will only hold fish in numbers if they have a great deal of rip rap/holding water, or are wide for their volume and very winding. If they run straight w/o a lot of broken water, winter run off seems to clean the bottoms too well. Sections of the Snoqualmie suffer from this in my opinion base on examination of rocks and bugs in various sections.

You would not want to make the drive to any of my "spots" besides, as generally mentioned by others the crowds are often there for a reason. that said, most fly fishers seem to be generally good people. Most of us are considerate and walk around water where someone is fishing. The only time I have ever experianced people shadowing my casts is on Rocky Ford or Dry Falls when I am doing well or on the Elwah when there are a bunch of people. The ones who do it tend to be decked out in new gear and don't cast very well, or cast extreemly well and are "really intense." Try not to be either. :THUMBSUP

9. closed_loop

closed_loop Guest

AMEN brother I would love to see the power bait chukin' dork that can stay w/ me on my summer fishing trips. anything above 3500' is my min. start. A lot of the lakes I fish are still iced over right now and when they thaw I will be the first person there, Guarenteed. As for keeping things secret, well, I don't know about that, everywhere is public land except for those places that charge to fish but anyone can fish a U-Fish pond. :DEVIL

10. caddisaction

caddisaction New Member

thx flyfisher frank for all you wrote thats what i was looking for just the detail stuff that you might not think of. I actually learned flyfishing from my dad when i was 8 yrs old watching him take lessons in our driveway. My dad never let me go out with him thinking i would get a hook in my haed or whiped by the flyline. But i consistantly watched and took his rod out and practiced when he was gone....hee hee hee!! thx a million and may all fish meet you some day!!

Caddisaction