Where to Start????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NTOTTSN, Jul 15, 2002.

1. NTOTTSN

NTOTTSN New Member

My Wife and I are thinking about learning how to fly fish. She seems really interested in learning but not sure how long she will last. We have some waterfront lake property on Haven lake in Mason county and will start fishing there. I have ordered the following books (Complete Book of Western Hatches, Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout, Selective Trout) which I should have in a couple days.... I need to get a couple of fly rods (for trout)and dont want to spend a lot of money until I make sure we like it.... I would like to build me a fly rod down the road. I'm going to get both of us some schooling for fly fishing for beginners in the next month or so.... Looking for help.... Any good sugestion on where to start???

Thanks

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    just remember, spin-fisherman are people too...

the art that is the fly cast can only be conquered by time with the fly rod in your hands. If you are looking for a fly fishing combo for begginners w/o dropping a lot of quan($$$) on a set up pick up one of those Cortland beginners combo. A 8' 5/6 weight rod will be perfect. The combo comes with floating line, backing and an instructional video that shows you the basics of the fy cast. that was my first rod. Then go to your local tackle shop and pick yourself up some flys (Wal-Mart has hand tied flies for $.99 a piece). Bead Head Wooly Buggers in sizes 8-10 are always good bets. Black, olive, and purple (yes purple) are great colors. Start there and keep going.. Goo Luck

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

why go to wal-mart and buy flies when you can get them off thes site cheaper that what wal-mart sells them for. Just go to the home page and got to links and click on flies. Jim S.

4. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Cabelas has great inexpensive outfits.
    Randy

5. OlyTroutGuy

OlyTroutGuy New Member

Home Page:
    I agree with the Cortland combo setups, great rods for beginners. They also come with a great warranty. If you are looking to get lessons, I know Streamside Anglers in Tumwater gives them. They set you up and take you down to the river for a course in casting, mending and etc... good luck

6. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

My humble opinion only, but there is a potential downside to going with a cheap set up at the beginning. That is, if you get into this sport, you will probably quickly perceive the deficiencies in many inexpensive outfits. Then you'll be wishing you'd spent a bit more money on your original setup and ultimately you'll be upgrading because once you figure out what's wrong with you first set up it'll eat away at you if you have to go use it all the time. It happened to me, and although I'm more than happy to spend lots of money on fly fishing equipment, my wife doesn't always see eye to eye with me on that. :) The first couple of rods I got were fine (I still fish them all the time), but the reels I got to go with them were pretty poor. I personally think you will be happier if you spend a bit more money on the reel than you might initially be inclined to. I mean, the chances of you not liking it are pretty remote, right? :)

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Find a local guide, maybe through a local flyshop, one who can provide gear for the trip, then go fish. You might get lucky and find someone to work with right away, or it might take a few tries. Go fishing a few times, make sure they know you are beginners and that you are testing the game out to see if you will invest money and time later. They should take that seriously. The emphasis should be on teaching you new things in a positive and encouraging way, and on having a good time. Maybe you'll catch a few fish too.If all that works out, maybe after a few day trips or so, then you'll have a much better idea of how to proceed for yourselves.There are some good teachers and schools around too. Try the Federation of Flyfishers website; www.fedflyfishers.org, and Trout Unlimited has a chapter somewhere near you too, socialize and ask allot of questions. the clubs are a great resource for friendship and fishing.If you keep it fun, you'll keep it.

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I agree Cabelas has some good rods for the $. I still use the 5 peice stowaway rod that was my first flyrod at times when I need to pack a rod into a lake. The rod does have a 2 year warranty which includes shipping the rod back to you. After I broke the tip off mine they replaced the rod within a week. Not bad for a $100 set up. Make sure to get a case for any rod you buy to protect it from harm. One note on flies to start with, keep them simple such as hares ears to keep the confusion down when learning. Take a casting class of some type. Make sure they teach the roll cast as well as the classic forms. I find to many times fishing in Washington I have trees right behind me and a good roll cast will get the fly out to the fish rather then hooking a tree fish. Last relax while learning, flyfishing is an ongoing learning experince, you will learn new things everytime you fish and every time you practice your casting.