Which backpack to buy?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matthew Kaphan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    I've decided to move from a hip bag to a backpack but can't make up my mind on which one.

What's everybody using for fishing steelhead, salmon and trout up here in the soggy Pacific Northwest? Is the Simms Dry Creek Day Pack the best of the bunch?

Matthew
  2. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Orvis guide sling pack. Keeps everything outta the way, has a ton of room, really comfortable, when you need to open it simply slide the pack down in front of you and back when finished. You never have to take it off to get into it. I've tried tons of different packs and vests but nothing comes close to this. Also don't make the mistake of getting the smaller one. Get the guide pack. Orvis has a video on their site for it.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. littlefishJB Stalking the little fish that think they're big...

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    +1 on the Orvis Sling Pack
  4. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    I also have a sling pack, though not an Orvis, and I really like them
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

i have the patagonia sling pack, i now wear it upside and across from me, and love it. I know this makes zero sense
  6. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    LL Bean makes a pretty bad ass waterproof sling pack. Its on their site as well. I had the patagoinia sling atom and thought it was too small.
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

thomas has a valid point, the patagonia stuffed can barely fit 3 boxes, rio headcase, and all your tippets. It sucks because i cant fit all my yarnies, and beads in my back sometimes
  8. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    For those of you with the Orvis pack, do you have any issues with things getting wet in the rain?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  9. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +435 / 0
    I use an Orvis Gale Force sling. While it doesn't have all the organizational doo-dads of the guide sling, it does a better job of keeping my stuff dry in the rain, or if I wade deep/take a swim.
    doublespey likes this.
  10. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    I haven't really used it in a hard rain but keeps my stuff dry in a drizzle. I don't think it's too bad. I still put my wallet and phone in a ziplock.
  11. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +579 / 0
    Camelbak mil-tac hawg. I am a back pack freak and have a lot of them. You do not have to stick with a dedicated fishing manufacturer. Look at both camelbak and maxpedition and you will see there superior.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    I carry a Northface waterproof day pack. I've tried lots of backpacks, but after a rainy day trip, everything has to be dried out. Not now.

Sg
    Kaiserman likes this.
  13. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    I just put an order in for the LL Bean waterproof (resistant) sling pack:

http://goo.gl/e2xj2m

If it doesn't serve me well I'll send it back and keep looking.

Thanks for your input, every body.

M
    Kaiserman likes this.
  14. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    LOL! Looks like I'm not the only one who's figured this out!

You can spend all kinds of money, buying really cool gear, but in the end... it sucks if your jacket, sandwich, flies, etc are soaked.
  15. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Keep us posted as the reviews show it is not comfortable or waterproof. But at least is is on sale!
  16. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I would look at the Fishpond Westwater Backpack. I don't have it but I have a couple other chest/hip packs from Fishpond that I've been very pleased with. I've also owned 2 Simms packs that I don't think match the quality of Fishpond's.
  17. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    I mostly like the Simms Dry Creek backpack linked to the same water-resistant (not "proof") chest pack. They seem to keep things dry short of a full dunking. Downsides are that the combination isn't as comfy on your shoulders as the best integrated packs from Fishpond. I have a Fishpond that I prefer for dry weather and only use the Simms combo when it's nasty out.
  18. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Id like to know how you like the LL Bean pack as well. Keep us posted!
  19. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Buy a vest instead.

(I have 4 or 5 you could pick from. :) )
  20. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0