Which backpack to buy?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matthew Kaphan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Orvis gale force are schweet and basically fully waterproof besides where the zippers come together...so no rain will ever get in but if you drown and the pack is submerged with your body then your shit will be wet

Oh by the way they are $50 off right now and free ship. Crazy good deal

doublespey and brittinj like this.
  2. Chris Brittin Johnson

Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Couldn't agree more. I have one and love it.

3. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Sweet. I just got one and I got the backpack as well for day trip stuff. Can't wait

4. Chris Brittin Johnson

Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

I also got the chest pack. When I attached it to the day pack I DID NOT like it at all. I was very disappointed. It sat way to high on my chest and was very uncomfortable. Soooooo I went all custom on it. After a quick lesson in sewing for my girlfriend, I lengthened the straps that attach the two and boom... Perfection!

5. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Army Navy surplus. European military day packs. $30 bucks and will last longer then you. Plus you won't look like the next to ya !!!

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  6. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

On the chance that you either want or need a sling pack or day pack that is truly water-proof (read submersible), not merely water-resistant--

Do a search for Sagebrush Dry Goods, made in Alaska by a small company. They're not cheap, but IMO there is no finer product. The main compartment is submersible, with a special zipper like that of a dry suit. I unintentionally gave it the submersion test, and it passed with flying colors. The smaller outer compartment is rain-proof but not submersible without some water eventually entering.

I initially cringed at the $115 for the sling/fanny pack, but after seeing the quality and using it afield I have no regrets. I expect to pass it along when I'm too old to use it, and that won't be for another15 or 20 years.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

There is a down side to everything. Thats why I wear a citizens divers watch, that way when I'm drowning I will still know what time it is!!!!

brittinj and golfman44 like this.
  8. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Media:
    So my LL Bean waterproof sling pack arrived today and it looks like it's going to work out great.

Here's my question though. For those of use using slings and backpacks, what are you doing with your wet flies when you're changing flies? Everything I've used in the past has some sort of fly patch on or in it.

I'll have a thorough review of the LL Bean sling pack as soon as I managed to get out and fish with it.

M

9. Paul Voelker

Paul Voelker Member

Media:
    I use a Marmot Ultra Kompressor which is a very light day pack: http://marmot.com/products/details/ultra-kompressor
    I have stuck with this setup for a few years after trying the vests and chest packs since it is light, it holds fly boxes and stuff in the webbing and you can cinch up the top around a rod tube. My main reason for using this backpack though is the little cord hooks at the bottom rear. I can rig my Simms wading staff/neoprene case/clips up in those so that it sits horizontal behind me and when I need it I reach back and pull it out and when I don't need it I can let go and it trails behind me connected to the pack.