Which spey casts to learn for switch rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Poff, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Poff Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    I have a switch rod on order and am looking forwarding to learning some spey casts and new techniques.

Which spey casts should I learn to use with the switch rod?

I have a great book on spey casting by Simon Gawesworth, but just need to know which of these casts are reasonable and useful for a switch rod.
    almostacatch likes this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    Good post. I have the Dec Hogan video and in the same "boat".
  3. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    That's the beauty of a switch; learn to do both single and double-handed casts.
  4. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Line to use depends on whether you plan to swing streamers or hang nymph rigs so cast methods may also depend on intended fishing style
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    For 2 handed casting I started with the snap T and was about 90% of my skagit casting and just a touch and go for my scandi heads.
  6. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Having said that, it’s good to learn them all for not all water is the same and might need a different cast
    Tree overhang, wind, water flows etc will all play into what cast you should toss out
  7. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Single & double spey to start, the other casts are just variants and easy to pick up once you've got these down. Practice them with both hands. You'll be a complete caster knowing just two casts right and left handed. Snake roll is a Slam dunk at that point.

What ever you do, don't start "Poking" around.
  8. Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Ratings: +47 / 0
    Agree, good to have a bunch of tricks up your sleeve. I think that starting out with the Double Spey and Snap T will give you the ability to meet any flow or wind condition. Here is a link to a fellow named Calvin Fuller demonstrating the double spey. Calvin is a lefty, so you'll have to adapt his river placement and movements to right hand if you're a rightey.
    If you look at the other video choices that will show up in the margin, you'll find three other videos showing these two casts backwards and forwards (regular and cach-handed). With these two casts under your belt you'll get a real good start. Once you get these down pat, other casts will come easier. Hope this helps...

Rick

Poff likes this.
  9. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    1) Double spey
    2) Snap T or C
    3) Perry poke
    fredaevans likes this.
  10. jsrskeena New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    After a year of spey casting and doing all the casts mentioned above i didnt realize i probably should have started with learning and executing the switch cast first....Thats where i'm at now trying to correct my bad habits I probably could have avoided,just speaking from experience and numerous unwanted peircings.In my limited amount of casting futility i realize now when the experts say learn good tecnique and practice that simple cast,they're right.Now that my switch cast is improving so is my casting....
  11. almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

malott, wa
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    This is a great question! IMHO All Spey casts are necessary learning. They will make you a better fisherman in the end no matter the situation and will allow different presentations in more difficult settings no matter if its a single hand, double hand, or switch rod. The most important thing when learning to cast a switch rod is lining it for the way you want to fish. The nature of most switch rods is to be a bit faster action the most Spey rods and since they are shorter they tend to not be as "feely" as a Spey rod so they tend to be harder to develop timing for a beginning Spey caster, but don't let this dissuade you. To help regain feel it is just more imperative to line it correctly with a line that promotes the type of fishing you want to do. If you plan on fishing deep with heaver sink tips and larger weighted flies I would recommend getting an Airflo Skagit Switch line and 10' of t11 to start this will be for sustained anchor casting mostly then you will only need to learn the Snap T, Skagit Double, and Perry Poke (see Ed Ward and Skagit Master 1) from both sides of your body and you will be fishing before you know it. If you are wanting to fish a dry line with surface patterns, or wet/damp Spey and Dee style flies and would like the option to throw a little bigger patterns with not nearly as much weight as a Super Intruder then the Rio Scandi Short Versi-Tip is the way to go. This line gives the freedom to do about anything with it won't fish as deep as the Airflo Skagit Switch head, but it can still toss decent sized flies. The Rio SSV line is capable of all types of casts both airborne and waterborne anchor casts. The you have the opportunity to learn not only the Snap T and Double Spey, but the Single Spey and Snake Roll casts as well. His line allows for the caster to aerialize the entire head and tip easily for anchor placement then rocket it out there. If you are looking to fish nymphs under a bobber (indicator) with your switch rod then you need to get a line designed especially for that i.e. either the Airflo Speydicator or the Rio Switch lines. With either of these lines they aren't really designed to be great Spey casting lines but more or less to turn over a lot of wind resistant material at moderate distances with some type of roll cast. They cast I use the most with this type of line is the double Spey because it keeps the leader in the water for the setup helping to eliminate tangles and wind interference. I consider either of these lines as plopper lines. Meaning you just need to get the flies out and down and get a drift going "just plop it out there" when I fish a switch rod from a boat I use the Speydicator line and find myself casting it overhead with a big open loop (limit the amount of false casts) from time to time. So in short for me there is no definite answer, but since a switch rod can be harder to develop casting feel for get a line that is designed to fish the way you want to and then be patient with yourself as you learn to cast you will be rocking it before you know it.

For what it's worth,
    Mc
  12. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    For skagit casting Ed Ward recommends to first learn the C-Spey cast which is a little easier to learn, because it is preformed with a big, wide sweep. Then second learn the Perry Poke cast which is a little harder to learn, because it is preformed with a small, tight sweep.

GG
  13. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0

Single spey , double spey , start there
  14. Poff Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    Wow - thanks for all of the replies and resources. It looks like I have a great deal to learn - should be fun.
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    First lets put aside the term 'switch rod;' these are NOT an overly long one hander. You can, back space dependent' over hand cast with both hands, but your not going to do it with just one. Well, the exception: You have the shoulders of a Lumber Jack.

There isn't a 'spey cast' that you can't do with the shorter rod, some (snake roll as an example) just aren't as efficient as those done on a longer rod. 'Short spey's' bring two things to the party: 1) casting in really tight fishing conditions, and 2) fishing short. Short like under 50 feet.

Short casts are what you need for smaller rivers, close in seams, lies at your feet, etc. And every river has lots and lots of those.