Whitlock's Scorpion

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Big E, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    At the request of WA-Fly here is a interesting fly. The combination of a rubber fly tail, marabou and rubber legs give this plenty of movement. The hook rides upside down to keep it weed free. A great pattern for bass and every now and then, the curious trout.

[IMG]

Recipe:
    Hook: TMC 5263 #4
    Tail: Fish Tail and Marabou
    Body: Estaz, Rubber Legs, Schlappen
    Eyes: Lead Dumbell

Start by putting your hook in the vise. I have a bunch with eyes already tied and superglued with them on.
    [IMG]

Tie in the rubber fish tail to the back of the hook.
    [IMG]

Tie in some marabou for the tail. This particular piece was rather scraggly so instead of just tying in on top of the hook, I palmered it several times.
    [IMG]

Then tie back over the marabou to lay the fbers back. This is a good way to make a full tail with a substandard piece of bou.
    [IMG]

Tie in some estaz. Take one wrap straight away from you and then one wrap at a slight angle to the left. This is called a locking wrap and will hold the material tight. Every forth wrap, pull the estaz tight and put in a locking wrap.
    [IMG]

Tie off at the eyes but do not trim off the excess.
    [IMG]

Tie in one strand of rubber legs, doubled over, on each side.
    [IMG]

Tie in a schlappen feather by the tip, shiny side up.
    [IMG]

Wrap the schlappen a couple times up to the back of the eyes.
    [IMG]

Wrap the remaining estaz behind the eyes, figure 8 over the eyes and a couple times in front of the eyes. Tie off.
    [IMG]

Tie in another rubber leg doubled over on the underside of the hook shank.
    [IMG]

Whip finish and trim the rubber legs to your liking.
    [IMG]

Enjoy!
    tkww, atomic dog and Patrick Gould like this.
  2. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I'm pretty sure there are a whole mess of lower Yakima smallmouth that would appreciate me learning to tie this. There isn't a much better "go-to" spinfishing lure for smallies than your basic curly tail grub.