who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    Who can afford fly fishing gear anymore? Rods costing $600-800, $800 waders, wading jackets $400+, boots $200+? Who can support local fly shops, and made in USA companies paying these prices??

Alexander, FinLuver and fredaevans like this.
  2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:

My Father told me once, " something is only worth the price that someone else is willing to pay for it". I am sure that as long as there is people like us willing to go pay these prices, those prices will stay the same.

FinLuver and fredaevans like this.
  3. kmac

kmac Active Member

I don't spend that kind of money on gear, but still have what I consider to be good quality gear. There's a lot of marketing going on that tries to convince us that we need a $300 reel with a nuclear powered drag to use on a 3 wt rod when a simple click-pawl reel will do. However, if I were to get into Tarpon fishing I might need that nuclear powered drag. Also, I'll spend up to $200 for a good pair of wading boots.

4. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I could but I'm a cheap ass. I'll spend as little as possible to get something I like. I have found that you don't have to spend very much to find something that's perfectly fine for next to nothing particularly in the used market. But I'm a small stream trout guy so it doesn't need to get very pricey unless you just want to make it pricey. But on the other hand if I were a Tarpon guy, there no way to do that well without spending a little more money to get equipped properly.

jordan101 likes this.
  5. Porter

Porter Active Member

That 1 percent.

6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

single, employed, 24 year old people, maybe?

edit: also, no kids (babymamadramaaaaa)

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Guess what? When you buy gear that works with your style of fishing, you only have to buy it once. I haven't bought a piece of new gear in years. No need since what I have works just fine.

K

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

The short answer is: Anyone with a decent job. I have fly fished for 63 years now and have never spent over $250 for a rod, $125 for waders, $105 for a jacket and $95 for boots. Spending the big bucks is an option, not a requirement. Although there are folks who routinely spend $65K for a pickup or $80K for a luxury sedan, they drive on the same roads that the rest of us travel in our modest but perfectly adequate rigs. The same applies to fishing. For the most part we all fish the same water for the same fish. If marketing has convinced someone that the experience is 4X better with an $800 rod than it is with a $200 rod then let them pay whatever. They probably need to spend big to feel good about themselves.

Lower end gear for fly fishing is really good nowadays so there is little need to be ashamed of buying what you can afford. I budgeted and saved for years to enjoy an early retirement and can now afford better stuff. But you know what?-I'm still using $250 rods and $90 reels. And if I'm not still having a good time please don't break the news to me.

Ive-frugal but not cheap

9. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Media:
    Agreed. I'm still using the same GLoomis GL2 that my dad bought me when I was seventeen. I'm thirty three now and it is as good as ever. $212.00 as I recall. It is an amazing rod that fishes as well as any other rod that I have tried. Expensive ones included. No need to shell out 800 bucks. I would like to drive a Range Rover, but I drive a Subaru, and it still gets me to where I need to go.

10. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:

Yep, that's when I bought most of my gear (around age 23-27), and like Kent, I don't have to buy many of the big ticket items very often anymore.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    It is nice watching gear grow old, especially cork grips and reels. I have some rods that were old when I bought them. I am glad they are catching fish rather than sit in someone's garage. A few really nice Scott rods, made in Telluride - all cost me less than one rod would new today.
    I learned that $100 waders are a terrible investment, you end up spending more per day of use than with $300 waders. Same with fly line, you get what you pay for.

Ron McNeal and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Exactly right. I've got some vintage came rods with the original owners' names written on them or their tubes 50 years previously. The mojo on them is thick enough to cut with a knife.

K

13. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

You don't need expensive gear. I only have one rod that cost over $100 a fenwick, so you can guess how old it is. I still use my medalist I bought of 9.99 at Pay-n-save. I have used some great rods my friends have but notice when we fish together my ones form Albright and Cabelas catch just as many or more fish. I agree with Iveoflone, the new inexpensive gear is mostly pretty darn good. I don't fish salt water and have yet to meet a trout or steelhead that my 1495 1/2 won't handle.

14. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am 48, married, with 5 four legged kids, and a decent job at famous coffee company. I ain't rich, but I do enjoy the simple pleasure of nice equipment. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and my priorities are my passions; Fly fishing, tying, climbing, and hiking...I buy nice gear and enjoy it, the money I save for it comes from being a cheap ass in other aspects of my life...I dress like I am homeless and drive paid for older vehicles, my wife and I enjoy endless days of bagels and cereal for meals. Priorities, Priorities :)

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

No sense in being poor and looking poor too,I like to fish vintage classic fly gear I buy on the cheap at garage sales.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  16. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's really a lifestyle we evolved into, I credit the dirt bag mentality of climbing (circa 1980's) for forming my views. I enjoy it actually and the contrasts are pleasing.

17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I embrace the grundge fly fisher look myself actually I take credit for starting the movement in the early eighths on the north fork of the stilly!

Oldmedallion and Eyejuggler like this.
  18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Most I ever paid for a rod was $210.95. It was a GL3 5wt 2 piece. Used the hell out of this rod. Caught fish from 3" to 20# Chums with it. That was over 20 years ago. My latest rod was a 7'9" 3wt TFO Finesse rod Paid $179.95 for it. I fish the hell out of this rod in the summer time. And it's time to get it wet again.

Most I ever paid for a reel was 100 bucks. It's taken a licking and it's still ticking. It is called the Adventure 5 made by GLoomis. It's now called a Venture reel. That was about 20 years ago also. I ended up buying all my gear new. I've always been that way. If something is going to break down then I hope it's me that breaks it.

19. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I fish with a well used Medalist on an ugly old Phillipson glass rod. I fish with a $$$$ Kineya on a $$$$ Wojnicki glass rod. In the end, the fishing is the same and I cherish both set ups equally.
    My thought has always been "fish don't care what you paid".

Old Man likes this.
  20. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Budgeting and clearance! And I'm not rich!

Tyler Sadowski and plaegreid like this.