who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

Key is using a credit card appropriately.

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

True but I would say before that, don't buy new.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is a credit card?

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It's this plastic thingy that you hand a retailer and he gives you the merchandise. Actually gives you stuff for no money. It's really quite amazing. It continues to work for just about ever until some clerk cuts it up... then you get another one and start again :D

Alex MacDonald and Old Man like this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I pay cash for just about everything except gas and flies. Their small purchases and I can usually pay them off on next months check. If I don't have the cash I don't buy anything big.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

My trout and steelhead rod list for lakes and big river fish not 12 inch freestone fish! Who the hell fishes for those anymore anyway?

Sage 696-2 RPL bought last year on ebay $204
    106-2 (10' 6-wt)Orvis silver label - ebay $120
    Custom built from orvis 1981 696-3 orvis superfine osprey - $285
    593-2 (9' 3" 5 wt) orvis superfine springcreek ebay $125
    590-4 orvis superfine springcreek pack rod bought mid 80's $325

Reels=
    venture-7 ebay $54 with a teeny 200 line!
    nautilus 5-6 $150 off this forums classifieds
    orvis access 4-5 reel on sale $100
    loomis Eastfork 7-8 $140 Ebay
    Original early orvis large arbor 4-5 $145 from a classic reel website
    Scientific anglers system one 7-8 with three spools $70 ebay
    scientific anglers 4-5 system one I gave to my daughter
    medalist 7-8 of my fathers god rest his soul, I can't stand medalist reels so it's my loner-

boat 1988 baby blue 14' Lavro my third drifter in 35 years of owning them-$1500 it was a steal!
    8 horse honda 4 stroke motor- used $800- another good deal
    55 pound electric $275
    carlisle guide model oars-came with boat
    bitch'n lowrance gps/sonar finder $600 I got used for $250

1994 toyota 4x4 pickup completely rebuilt with built motor and massive lift and big ass fat tires and shinny red paint and chrome smitty built bars that just got me from Portland to Grand Coulee and back towing the drifter and completely loaded with no hic-ups.

Yep, looks like I don't belong in this crowd, no wonder I almost quit posting altogether!

My first expensive rod was bought with my tax returns when I was 19, i built the Orvis superfine 9' 6" 6 wt osprey in 1981 with my own hands and paid $320 to do it! why you ask? because I wanted to!

A friend asked me why the hell I would spend so much money on a rod at the time? I asked how much the two boards he skied on cost and he said $700 and conversation was over! Him being a good skier he felt he needed good ski's and actually skied better with them so he thought---

After reading this thread, what happened to support your local fly shop? "OH WAIT" That's a different thread altogether that the better than thou's can bash people on!

Limp lines dudes!!!

7. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

It just depends on what you can afford or what you want to afford, Its all in the mind set, Most things when it comes to fly rods either is the same wt and lighter or heavier depending on who uses it or what a person pays for, when i did so much research before buying fly rods i learned the wts are the same, The rods are lighter or heavier, I also learned foreign made is cheaper then american made, Again it depends on what you like, The rod will still catch fish even on a $60 rod to a $1400 rod, Depends on you the fisherman or woman has skill wise, You can buy new or used, You can buy cheap or top of the line, In the end its what you like or choose. :)

For me in the beginning it was quanity over quality, lol, However if you know how to treat a rod you might never need to use the warranty even on a basic 1 year warranty fly rod or a lifetime warranty.

In the end of the day, It all boils down to each others personal preferences on what or how much they can afford and how much they will use said product.

8. kurtataltos

kurtataltos Active Member

Media:
    That's what I said to myself when I bought a G1 and an RPL 10' 5wt a long, l-o-n-g time ago, used when I got them, with glorious blemishes but solid backbones. Oddly, still my favorite set-up a couple decades later. And I have no interest in any $800 trendy, ergo, holistic, fashionable and techno flatulent replacement as, frankly, it's not worth it. I have asked the fish. They don't care.

9. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

The only rods i have a intrest in thats $750 is the winston wt trout, :D

10. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Wow, you all must be loaded. I make my own fly rods from the stems of bamboo shoots that I cut from a local city park. I wire an old Coke can onto the bamboo stem to hold my line. I fashion my own fly lines out of string. I scavenge flies from the streamside vegetation along the Yakima after a high water event.

More seriously, I work very hard at my job; I exchange my labor for greenbacks (or facsimiles thereof). When I have free time, I like to fish and I like to use gear that enhances my enjoyment. Yes, I could catch fish with the gear that I describe above, but it might be easier and give me more pleasure to open my wallet a bit more. After all, you can't take it with you.... I'm not an early adopter by nature and I carefully consider major purchases. Sometimes, I will not go with the best possible gear out there, especially if I do not see myself using it that much. Hence, my winter steelhead rod is a very serviceable ECHO TR spey, but I have cast my friend's Burkheimer and it is a sweeter rod and I could cast that rod all day. But I don't fish for winter steelhead enough to justify that expense. But my trout rods are quality rods that fit my casting and fishing style very well. My pontoon boat was top of the line when I bought it 13 years ago and it is still as good as anything out there for my applications.

As others have pointed out, we live in a time when one can purchase serviceable gear for much less money that top of the line gear, but there are differences in quality and functionality and price plays a role in that. Adults weight and budget (and crow when we get a great deal (or think that we got a great deal)).

Steve

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm into hand me downs if that would help you make room for new stuff!

12. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

It's the cost of the line that causes me grief.

13. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

If you're fishing 10 days a year the expenditure of that kind of funds may be tough to justify (unless you've won the lottery or married to Mr. William Gates)... Personally, I feel I fish often enough & enjoy it enough to appreciate better equipment... however, my funds aren't "lottery" so I buy much of my gear used. Or huge sale discounts... that's my story & I'm stickin' with it.

weiliwen likes this.
  14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

it's that plastic thing lots of wife's use to keep their men going to to work everyday !

15. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Media:
    I agree - fish more often and perhaps a better rod is justified.

later_Peter likes this.
  16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I fish for the little guys. One hell of a lot of fun on a 3wt rod. Light tippets makes fly fishing fun.

Stew McLeod and Greg Armstrong like this.
  17. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I'm with you, Jim.
    Just match the gear size to the size of the fish, and it's all fun!

Gary Knowels likes this.
  18. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Pay extra for the Patagonia river crampons. Worth it and you can take em off when you are in a boat......

Ever since i slipped on rock snot and broke my 9 6' wt Redington CPS (i still cry on the inside just thinking about it - WHY did Redington do away with that series and WHY can't they bring it back!?!) i have searched for better traction. i now consider that issue resolved with the magic-metal-patagonia boot-bars. Yeah - they're kinda pricey - but i think they are going to last me a looooong time and Patagonia is good about repairs.

19. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

A couple of things that I have learned from fishing and life, over the years.

You can't do much about the weather.

You can pick your friends.

You can buy more expensive and higher quality gear, but the fish will not notice.

Not many people, if any, are going to be impressed with my fishing technique, casting skills, or my fishing attire. So relax and enjoy the experience for what it is, fishing. Impressive surroundings are a plus.

There can be just as much fun fishing in a local pond as fishing in some far off exotic fishing hole. The trigger is in the mind set. The right companion is a big asset.

A cold beer or hot cuppa coffee, around a blazing campfire, at the end of the day can off set a lot of problems. Again, the right companions are a big asset.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  20. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:

Many's a late August Day when I leave the Cedar river with far more flies than I came...Parachute Adams DO grow on trees!