who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

there's a lot to be said for this kind of thinking,A Subaru will get you there, maybe not in such a stylish fashion . But your wallet will much fatter when you arrive!

The Duke likes this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The fish don't give a shit on what gear you use. Now that I'm older now, I don't fish as hard as I used to. Rod weight doesn't mean that much to me because of that. Maybe if you use the rods made off shore you would lift a few weights in the winter time your off shore rods wouldn't tire you out as much.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

I only have 1 shot at life, so living in a shack and saving every penny for decades just so I can cash out on a piece of property that I can enjoy for the last 10 years of my life isn't going to happen. I'll make investments in my happiness now, as well as plan for my future. That balance is up to me to decide on.

People will spend what they can spend for any number of things and it isn't my job to evaluate whether their purchase was smart or stupid.

4. bennysbuddy

Damm right , theres no sense in being poor ,& looking poor too!!!

5. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Fishing now for 25+ years and and still love the first rod I bought. I own six from #3 to #7 and four of them ordered 'used'.
    Now spending only money for decent hooks and small stuff. Take care of your gear and be a happy fly fischerman:)

Mike

6. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Holding someone's wealth or good fortune against them is one of the most petty things an individual can do. On the flip side, looking down on someone because they can't afford (or don't want to drop the coin on) a $1000 rod like yourself is just as shitty.

Buy what makes you happy and what you can afford, then go fishing.

7. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I have not met anyone yet that buys high end gear to make a social statement, or buy high end gear because they think it will help them catch more fish. I think that people buy high end gear because of other reasons besides that and I would consider perfectly valid. So who really gives a fuck who can afford what. I have fished with friends that have gear that spreads the whole spectrum. Never once did any of us pass judgement on someone else just by the gear they are using. It is not the quality of a fly anglers gear but the quality of his or her company that matters most.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I like good quality gear at any price. The thing that makes this the golden age of fly fishing is that there is good gear at every price point.

I've known several people who bought Sage fly rods because they thought the good rods would make them cast better. They didn't. There is still no substitute for learning to cast fairly well.

Sg

John Hicks likes this.
  9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Whenever this topic pops up on WFF, I imagine many of you are actually sorority girls with all the attention paid to other fishermens' clothing and accessories and who spends how much on it.

10. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Member

I appreciate good equipment as much as the next guy, but I hate to see how madison avenue and the forces of marketing end up commodifying, colonizing, and overcomplicating just about every enjoyable endeavor. The essence and original simplicity of the activity, what made it enjoyable in the first place, get lost in the obsession about "stuff". Fly fishing used to be about fish and fishing, not gear.

Now excuse me while I check out the classifieds on spey pages.

11. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

I have a bunch of Daiwa Whisker speyrods made in Scotland and none cost me over $125. They are extremely well made rods with progressive tapers that work about perfect for me. Way better cork than we normally see and the detail/build is excellent on all of them. They are "GOOD" equipment, very good equipment.

There are a lot of great rods out there and most of them are not new.

12. bennysbuddy

Those Diawa rods are sweet but they are hard to find.

13. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

14. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Sometimes people buy more exspensive gear to make a statement only, it wont catch more fish, its how you use it that catches you more fish, or more exsperience as i call it.

15. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Nevermind

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This whole thread is now a never mind.

Gary Knowels, PT and golfman44 like this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

What's the difference between a guy that spends a lot on one 5 wt, versus a guy that "frugally" puts together a collection of 3 or 4 of them? Even if the second guy has specific uses for each and fishes most of them at one time or another, the same diminishing return exists for him as the guy that spent a lot on one do-it-all rod, and both have likely spent the same amount of money in the end.

PT likes this.
  18. PT

PT Physhicist

I've never spent much time analyzing why someone buys something. Do I wonder why someone buys a Porsche and only drives it 3 months a year? No. Well, maybe. ;)

19. bennysbuddy

Never could spell in Japanese. , I've corrected my error to appease the spelling police.lol

20. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

My Motto is to each there own.