who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

That is something i can agree on.

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Some of you need to fish in less crowded places in order to protect yourselves from feelings of relative depravation. With no people around to compare yourselves to, think of all the mental energy you can devote to fishing!

SteveA, Old Man and Ron McNeal like this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I do this all the time. Where I fish it is wide open spaces. I seldom run into another fishing. If I fell down and died I'd probably lay there for a few days before anybody happened upon me.

4. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Old flyfishing gear is like old motorcycle leathers...it looks lived in because it carries the patina of experience. Nothing says 'newbie' more than bright shiny stuff. To echo others here, just buy some moderate quality gear (which is lightyears ahead of much of the high-end crap of 60 years ago), and allow it to start gathering its own mojo. You'll soon forget about the one-time cost.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a 4" Hardy pre-war Perfect that I paid $900 dollars for. It has been going strong for over 70 years now. I have a ______ Reel that I paid $550 dollars for new and it died on me in two years. Price doesn't always mean quality. But sometimes it does. How's that for a Yogi-ism for ya.

Kent Lufkin, Porter and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Part of the reason I avoid Swansons > Sky Nursery and instead end up at the nameles nursery across from the Subie dealer on 99...love me the weeping sequioa, the weeping alaska ceder, drooping norway spruce, the hinokis, the gold fernspray cypress. Lavender and rosemary- best drought tolerant bang for the buck plants out there. Had to cut down the coast redwood, but if I had room, Sequioas and Redwoods would be growing.

7. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    Not a bad cost for my main rod setups -

Sage RPL 9'-6" 5wt : $150 Used (EBay)
    RL Winston IM6 10'-2" 4wt : $125 Used (Craigslist)
    Moriston Convert 11'-6" 7wt Switch Rod : $300 New (w/Tyne Trintiy reel and line)
    Beulah Platinum Series 13'-2" 7wt Spey Rod : Free (Really Nice Fishing Mentor!)

Now I need to look into lighter rods and see what kind of deals are out there.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

The cost of an item in year past use to reflect the amount craftmanship invovled in making a quality product, this is not always true in todays world of mass produced assembly line products.

John Hicks likes this.
  9. fivefish

fivefish New Member

I can't afford fancy gear. However, with that said, I own two Winston rods and two Hardy reels. The trick is to think creatively, and if you have a skill or trade, barter. I haven't bought any of my gear. I do web design for people that fly fish and for fly shops.

golfman44 likes this.
  10. 2506

2506 Active Member

My Scottish friend always says: I am very poor, so I must buy the very best.

Krusty and Ron McNeal like this.
  11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Like I said before, no sense being poor and looking poor too!

12. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

If you only buy new gear every couple years, then I say buy the absolute best you can get.

Then youll never have to replace it, and youll save $$$ in the long run. Im fishing the same single hand rods Ive had for YEARS. They are not super top of the line anymore, but they do the job well, and I know exactly what they will do for me on any given day. Reels too! My Scientific anglers series #2 reel that Ive had since '96 has landed more steelhead than most people could ever hope to catch in their lives.

The only new gear Ive bought has all been high weight saltwater stuff for chasing pelagics now that I live in So-Cal. And even then, theres some REALLY nice rods for $400 and under. My Sage Motive was $425- but I almost bought a Beulah blue water for just under $400, and there are some nice TFO rods for under $300
    Spent the $$ on Nautilus reels, because when you are fighting Tuna, dorado, yellowtail etc you NEED a good reel that wont fail you! But I dont expect to have to buy a new reel for years.

No need for $800 waders when there are $200 waders that work great.

golfman44 likes this.
  13. jfkkesler

jfkkesler Member

I just got a pair of Simms stocking foots for free, and some wading boots on sale for $50. I think I can afford that!

Old Man likes this.
  14. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Fly fishing is cheap, it's the image you need to get away from, I buy boat rods for $50 and they catch as many fish as a sage, loomis or whaterver. If you think it's still expensive, try buying a new walleye or bass boat and then tell me what you think, not to mention lures, bait, fuel, tires, trucks to pull... etc. Flyfishing is the most cost effective way of anyone to get into fishing.

15. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    It's expensive to start outfitting. I just started a year and a half ago and have built up a decent setup. There are plenty of low price choices for equipment. Even more so if you buy used. There are tons of great deals to be had on this site.

Being very frugal (cheap) I doubt I will ever buy a rod for more than a couple hundred, and I will likely never buy a new rod again. But I understand the desire of some people to have the latest and greatest and I don't begrudge that.

Almost anyone can afford fly fishing gear at some level. The bigger cost is in the time to do it. Between work, house work/yard work, family time, etc., I find just finding the time to be a bigger burden than the cost of equipment.

16. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you guys think fly fishing is expensive you should try conventional gear bass fishing

Boat $50,000
    additional electronics $3500
    15 decent rods each with it's own niche purpose $2000
    15 decent reels to match $2500
    clothing for going fast in bad weather $1000
    lures and terminal gear a modest collection $1000
    Line $150
    oil 50 bucks a gallon
    fuel 4.00 per gallon X 50
    tow vehicle $40,000
    gas for tow vehicle $ 4.00 per gallon x25 gallons

fly fishing is cheap even on the high end.. what a fly fisher spends for a pair of waders that last 3-4 seasons a bass fisherman burns in gas to fish a single 2 day tournament.

stilly stalker likes this.
  17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yeah. This is the reason I don't take up GOLF.

18. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    No thanks. ;)

timlind and rory like this.
  19. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

My theory is buy affordable even if it means new and made in china because more so then not, either it be redington, echo, orvis minus encounter fly rod, cabelas, scott, allen, r l winston, for example they all most have a life time worrenty so i base it on that as well.

who needs the very best. :D

20. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    If you're good at golf you win money each time you play. It pays for itself.

Kent Lufkin likes this.