who can afford...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, May 8, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

My first fly fishing rod was a tenkara rod and a low quality tenkara rod at that...I spent $65 on it and then bought a $30 pair of neoprenes off of Craigslist, a spool of tippet, and a couple flies from the fly shop. Overall it cost me less than $150 to get outfitted to fish for trout in CO. I would go fish small streams in RMNP and catch fish after fish while the fly fisher downstream of me whose rod and reel cost more than my car sat there catching nothing wondering whether he should be jealous of me or hate me for fishing tenkara...or both, maybe. Point being, it is my humble opinion that you absolutely do not need more than YOU think YOU need. Some guys have posted about how a $1000 rod is necessary to get the job done...I say thats malarky! The upgrades are nice (Ive since upgraded my tenkara rod) and do provide better performance and are often times more comfortable but you dont need them to catch fish. What you really do need to catch fish is to be focused on catching fish and less focused on whether the Patagonia logo on your waders is properly centered in your selfie shot.

2. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Speaking of Tenkara rod i was thinking to get my husband on it as he kept speaking about japanese fly fishing on it, however when it comes to affordability i am always wondering how good most starter fly rods from major fly rod companys like orvis, echo and so forth for the price how good they are.

i have been looking at a sage method fly rod just because the youtube vids are nice on it.

3. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:

Have you cast the clearwater speys?

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Case in point vintage Hardy & j.w. young fly reels are foreign made & top Quality

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

hmmm you are mostly correct.. you can get good quality at an inexpensive price you however cannot get the best at an inexpensive prices... there are lots of adequate rods at 100 or 200 dollars but i need better than adequate expensive doesn't make it more enjoyable but having equipment that does not hold me back does make it enjoyable.

6. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

It would be interesting to see, if such a thing were possible, to conduct 'blind' tests of moderately priced versus high end gear. I suspect a fair number of experienced flyfishers, placed in such a situation, might not accurately judge where the equipment actually fit on the 'cost spectrum'. Much like wine snobs, our palates may not be as discriminating as we think.

Salmo_g and Andrew Shoemaker like this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well if you can't cast a cheap rod, you won't be much better with an expensive one.

I don't spend a bunch on fly rods. Hell the fish don't give a shit on which rod you use. Or the reel you landed him with. I do good with Allen Fly reels and lines. And TFO rods. I've been throwing fly rods around for over 50 years and I think I do all right.

8. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Media:
    I was able to tell the difference between a $100 rod and a $750 rod immediately when I fished with both recently, and although I wasn't blindfolded and in fact knew what brand and model both rods were, could feel the difference immediately - it wasn't because I looked at the label, but because I cast both many times over the course of a day, going back and forth between them as needed. Every time I picked up the TFO after using the Sage One, I thought, "WTF? Is something wrong with this rod?" Then I'd realize I was using a different rod from the one I was using 5 minutes ago.

I cannot speak for everybody, but I'd bet I could tell a $100 rod from any $750 rod every time. Maybe I couldn't tell a $100 from a $200 rod, for all I know, but when I finally can afford that Hardy Sintrix that I lust after, I guarantee you I'll be able to tell it apart from the TFO Professional I use now.

9. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I wouldn't call a $100 rod 'moderately priced...that category probably starts about $300.

'Course after a half century of flyrods I probably don't know what I'm talking about....though I've seen a fair number of novice oenophiles (and flyfisherman) who were unable to admit they got snookered by a pretty face accompanied by a very high price. :)

10. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:

Perhaps. But usually when the rubber hits the road in a true blind test the results are so definitive. It's been done numerous times with wines where the so called experts liked a $15 wine more than the highly touted $300 bottle. But when the blind fold is off and the label is recognized it's the other way around.

Same for violins ... http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/05/16/313099219/is-a-stradivarius-just-a-violin

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Talking about a blindfold test assumes performance is the only value. Aesthetics are also important to some.

Krusty likes this.
  12. Brookie_Hunter

Media:

Sure. Yellow doesn't suit everyone...:D

13. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I've always been fond of green...in my wallet.

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  14. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I just bought one of those yellow rods for my kids to play with this summer. Mainly after reading on this forum that they were decent and only cost 25 bucks.

15. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

My three boys each have a yellow rod, except the reel sits on top and has a big thumb button on it. Going to exercise those rods tomorrow, and I'll bet neither they nor anyone else will notice what they look like or what they cost!

Kent Lufkin and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  16. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I just returned from a 5 day trip fishing with my long time fishing buddies. I fished a new Cabela's L-Tech 5 wt and a new Reddington CT 4wt. The price of both rods wouldn't make a down payment on some of the high end rods being touted here. On Monday the 5 of us had an insane day on the water and probably caught almost 150 fish between us up to 18"-all brookies. For lunch we tailgated burgers that we chased with homemade ales. The meal was superb, the comradery just excellent, the fishing beyond excellent. Then we fished some more. Heading back to the cabin we broke out the big grill and cooked rib eyes the size of pie plates, drank some more ales, ate copious amounts of potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, had pineapple filled cookies for desert and topped off the evening with some exceptional chocolate.

Somehow the price of our gear was never an issue worthy of discussion, the chatter was primarily about who was using which fly and comparing patterns. In the end what the fish see and respond to is what really makes a difference. The fish care about the fly, the fishermen obsess with the delivery mechanism.

I'm not sure how much better the day would have been with a snob rod but I have a hunch it would have only been better had I landed the biggest fish of the day instead of Islander!

Ive

17. Brookie_Hunter

Media:

I only have one but she's got the same rig too...but she REALLY wants a pink one, go figure.

IMGP2064.JPG

Lugan likes this.
  18. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Here are my guys practicing casting on grass:

[​IMG]

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  19. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Just using the Orvis name as example. You have Sage, Thomas and Thomas, Williams, Loomis, etc. that are expensive. I remember when Orvis was about as expensive as you could buy, a few years back.

20. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

My "Zen" moments come because I'm outside in nature and being apart of nature by fishing, not using over priced expensive equipment.