Who is excited for Pinks?!?!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Mar 13, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I'm real excited!! My wife's family owns property on Vashon Island and I plan to fish for Pinks in August for two weeks. Which weeks would be best?
  2. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    Usually early to mid August. The timing of the bulk of the run can change a bit year to year but there will be plenty of fish around throughout August. Lets hope the states run forecasts are fairly accurate as they have a less then stellar track record predicting fish returns. Its more of an educated guess at best.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,470 / 2
    There's also motivation from the commercial/tribal harvesters to up the predictions. Higher prediction = higher quota.
    bigdood and Jonathan Tachell like this.
  4. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Yep that is very true Evan. Its sad that the agency charged with managing and protecting the resource doctors the numbers under pressure from other groups so that they can harvest and sell more fish but it has and will continue to happen.
  5. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +218 / 0
    I'm very excited because it provides a fantastic opportunity for my grandkids (ages 9, 11, 14) to catch salmon on the fly rod from the beach.
  6. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 0
    I'm gettin charged up for it.

Attached Files:

7. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    I missed out on the last run so am really looking forward to this summer. Have only caught Pinks in Alaska.
    Jack
  8. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    I'm definitely gonna try to get a trip in. Visit some friends on "the rock" and hook a few pinks!

As for flies, a pink-over-white clouser. Done.
  9. teerex Member

Yakima, Klickitat, Deschutes
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am stoked to get up on Whidbey, near shore or on the beach. Should be pretty exciting action.
  10. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    So being fairly new to the Kitsap/OP area I've read on the web that there's a pink run that heads through Hood Canal for the Skokomish. Are they targeted mostly in the south canal or are there opportunities further north? I fished Salsbury last fall for silvers without much success (did my best at PNP) but am wondering if I can find humpies in the north end of the canal. That would cut down the commute! TIA!
  11. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Hoodsport gets humpies too. You might be able to intercept some of them a ways north of Hoodsport on the west side of the canal. Or you could give me a call and we can take the boat out and do murder on those area 11 humpies!
    Evan Burck likes this.
  12. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    Thanks for the invite, my friend! I might just take you up on that!! Hope you've been finding something on the end of your line lately! :D
  13. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    This will be my first run at the Pinks. I'm really looking forward to catching a few.
  14. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    All I get with clousers are sculpin and seaweed.

I do better with lighter flies on a clear intermediate line, either a small beadhead pattern or a small streamer with no weighting at all.

Jay
  15. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +231 / 0
    I heard a guy just saw one at PNP
    Jeff Dodd and Stonefish like this.
  16. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    I might actually get up there to target these guys. Got the Clark family campout in the middle of August up over near Anacortes. I know some have touched on patterns here, but being as I've never targeted these guys before, any other patterns worth tying up? here's what I'm hearing thus far for beach fishing...sparse, 1-1.5" long, pink, lightly weighted, intermediate line, 6/7wt...am I missing anything?
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,470 / 2
    I'd swap out the intermediate for a full floater and long leader, and swap out the lightly weighted flies for a heavily weighted one.
  18. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    By seen one do you mean caught one?
  19. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 8
    I think he is yanking your chain... :confused:
  20. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,153 / 1
    Dipnet likes this.