Who is excited for Pinks?!?!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Mar 13, 2013.

1. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Still have winter steel, eastern WA and BC Stillwater, Springer Chinook, Lings, Westport Summer Kings, Swiftsure Coho, so plenty to keep me busy including next weekend razor clam dig. Despite the anticipation, plenty of action to keep us busy each week, but still looking forward to sight casting for the slimers
    constructeur and Porter like this.
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    Right On !!!!
  3. Shaun Martin Member

Ratings: +10 / 0
    Newish to WA. This will be my first pink salmon season. 7wt too much rod? Anything helps. Thanks!
  4. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,613 / 0
    7wt is perfect.
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I used a 7 wt. most of the run two years ago but finally switched to an 8 wt. because my arms were really getting tired.:) The fish seem, at least in my opinion, to be getting bigger each run. I have some pics from 2005 that show fish in the 1 - 2 lb. range. In 2011 I was averageing 3- 5 lb. fish.
  6. 83uflyer New Member

Monroe, wa, United States
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I am too. Started tying up some flies last month. I'm just hoping this year is better for me that 2011. It was my first go at Pinks in the river and I was blanked. It would have been maddening, but I can't complain when I'm standing in a river. On more than one occasion I watched someone walk up near me, throw the same gear in the river and pull fish within 5 casts.
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,696 / 2
    And the north sound fish tend to be bigger than the south sound fish. In 2011, I'd say my average north sound fish was in the 6-7lb range. Had multiple in the 9-10lb class as well.
    Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I may have been conservative in my estimate. I didn't want people to get too psyched up.:) The fish I caught were pretty nice.
  9. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    yep, getting closer. tying some new flies for the pinkies. here pinkie, come too my woolly bugger. yeah, fish on. tight lines

Outlaw
  10. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Show of those fly's in this month's fly salon!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    constructeur likes this.
  11. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    I would love to see some fly patterns the will/have caught Pinks in the past. I have gone on line and found a few but would enjoy seeing what some of you guy/gals have that have been working in the past runs. This will be my first year fishing for the Pinks. I got a few Silvers last year got skunked on the Chum though.
  12. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +708 / 0
    Wouldn't it be ironic if we had to lose this salmon run to the State Legislature's inability to compromise on a budget by July 1st? Millions of fish, quietly swimming along, undisturbed, unhindered . . .
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Haven't heard a thing about the pinks yet this year.... Odd.
  14. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Steve S...." I'll be on the beach in front of my house about July 25th on. You are all welcome to join me. The fishing is great."
    I might like to do that. I'm fishbum@seanet.com.

Bob
  15. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +716 / 0
    For those that are currently tying their supply of pink flies something to keep in mind is that the larger the average size the more aggressive they are. Over the years I have seen the average range from less than 2#s to as much as 6# (with individuals ranging from a pound or so to as much as 12#s). When the fish are on the small size you may find that scaling your presentation down will yield better results. It often is the case that in large runs the average size is down. If that is true for 2013 then this may be a year for smaller stuff.

It never hurts to have some smaller stuff in your arsenal as pressured fish can sometimes become a little finicky. When that happens slowing down even more with some smaller stuff will often pay off in spades. I often fish stuff that is about 1/2 the size the many are using. The role of the smaller stuff seems to increase as they fish moving inside. Of course on the flip side using larger presentation will tend to select for the larger/more aggressive fish.

It never hurts to be prepared for a variety of situations. If nothing else having a variety of flies and sizes will give the angler something to do (changing flies) while waiting for the next pod of fish or during other lulls in action.

Curt
    mtskibum16 and Bagman like this.
  16. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Thank you. This is the kind of information I signed up on this sight to find.
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,696 / 2
    +1

this was much more important on the 2009 run than 2011 from my experience. At times in 2009, I was down to size 10 and 12 to get nibs.
  18. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    One tactic I found when fishing on the west side of Whidbey from a boat, anchored in about 15' of water:

A school Comes up on you - cast to them and just let the fly sink sink sink all the way down to the bottom if you can. I would have 3 fish following all the way down and then one grabs it just before it hits bottom. Fish on!
    Tony Abaloney and Bagman like this.
  19. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Speaking of flies - somebody on this board built/shared a fly that was on the mid-small side of the spectrum, that was basically a pearl flashabou tail with a tapered flashabou body wound up to a hot-pink conehead, and finished with a hard coat over the tapered body.

IIRC the story was that the fly had a super fast jigging action when fished off of a longish leader and a floating line, and the combination of the build and the rapid-jigging actions seemed to trigger strikes when the sparse pink wooly-buggeresque flies just weren't working. Sounded reasonable to me at the time, so I tied up my own version of the fly and it seemed to deliver, particularly when the fish were staging and subject to significant pressure from gear fishermen.

I'll try to post a photo of the pattern if I still have some in my box from the 2011 run, but maybe the guy who originally posted the fly in 2011 will chime in and save me the trouble...
    Bagman likes this.
  20. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Yes please. I would really like to see one if these.