Who is excited for Pinks?!?!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +870 / 0
    it might have been evan, as i remember tying a pattern based on the heavy bead to get that action on a floating line. mine was just a short marabou tail with a dubbed body up to a tungsten cone. worked exceptionally well with a floating line on the lower duwamish.
  2. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    OK so you guys are saying heavy jigging action for the pinks? Leland was telling me that very lightly weighted flies stripped slow were the ticket.

I had moderate success last time around with pink clousers on a clear intermediate, and buzz bombed a few on the windy days as well. Seems like the jigging action just pisses em off, the slow strip actually stimulates the feeding instinct?
  3. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    So when should they first start to appear off the south end of whidbey? My trip up there is early this year and I am hoping I can target some of these...
  4. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    Doublebluff.
    I think you will see decent numbers of fish in late July.

Porterhouse- certainly Leland has landed more salmon than I will ever dream of. I was just describing something I have observed the last couple seasons while fishing for Pinks. This was from a boat. From the beach I mix up my retrieve more, part out of strategy and part from my tendency to figit.

I also think fishing as far up as Lagoon Pt helps. Some years the fish have stopped feeding by the time they hit shipwreck.
  5. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Most of the time with pinks I think if you can see 'em you can catch 'em (at least that's been my experience), and I caught ~90% of my fish using the same approach that you describe above.

Could have been nothing more than voodoo, but when the go-to pattern wasn't working (pink comet with light dumbell eyes) the sparse-and-jiggy fly on a floater seemed to get the job done. The only time I had to deviate from the norm and tie on the sparse-and-jiggy thingy was when I was casting to fish that were schooled up and staging, and there was a fair amount of boat traffic in the area.

The real lesson is probably to change up your approach if you can see fish and you aren't getting strikes, but I'm going to keep pretending that I've got a magic fly to break the skunk with.;)
  6. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Thanks- I'll post if I am successful! I'll be grumpy if I am not...
  7. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Has the pink action begun much yet? Haven't heard of anyone being out after them, nor of any showing up in the rivers as yet.
  8. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Steve S...." I'll be on the beach in front of my house about July 25th on. You are all welcome to join me. The fishing is great."

I might like to do that but I don't know where you live. I'm fishbum@seanet.com.

Bob
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,699 / 2
    Leland has fished far more humpy runs than I, and has caught infinitely more fish. So take this as you will:

I kind of "discovered" the heavy fly, floating line thing on accident. I had been fishing the intermediate line, lightly weighted fly , slow strip method for every trip, as was the recommended normal approach. I was getting fish, but never in big numbers.

I ran out of bead chain when tying one night, and tied a few up with heavy tungsten cones for fun, and to have enough flies. Next day out, I got sick of casting my intermediate line, and grabbed the floater. Put on the tungsten fly to get it down... catch rate went up immediately. We'd been fishing around fish for 2hrs before that with just a couple hits. We ended up limiting within the next hour and going home after that. Stuck with that method, and had similar results each trip others I was with would employ the old method, as that's what they were used to). The jiggy heavy fly always, without exception, outproduced the previous method on the trips I was on.
  10. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +88 / 1
    I'm in, see you there Sunday!

...oh wait...
  11. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What is the approximate weight of these weighted flies that you folks find to be more effective?

1/16th ounce?

1/32nd ounce?
  12. Catching Nemo New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,699 / 2
    About as heavy as a big ass barbell eye or tungsten conehead.
    sean_k and wadin' boot like this.
  14. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    ~3mm tungsten coneheads work great. Coneheads hook less seaweed, have less air resistance, and are more durable than dumbell eyes. The main drawback to cone heads is that the fly may not ride belly down and point up unless you use a hook with a downturned eye. Coho don't seem to care too much though.
  15. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    -Not much happening at LP last night when I dropped by around sunset. Didn't fish myself - just happened to be in the area taking a look.

-There are a few reports of small schools rolling through the DP/BP area in Tacoma, but nothing consistent.
  16. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    jwg likes this.
  17. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    P, ya hit it on the head. pinks are like everything else but nothing like anything. go all ye to salt beach and fish those pinks like they were your very own.
    Outlaw
  18. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +425 / 0
    I was doing a little "recon" with a "buzzbomb" down at the Edmonds Pier tonight and hooked and landed a pink on my 5th cast. It was tight because I could see a pod of them following the pink buzz bomb up to the pier and saw the take and everything. Lots of herring in this pinks stomach! Time to get the fly rod out and hit the beach, they're in for sure!
  19. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +716 / 0
    Comparing at the Creel checks from 2011 and from last week as well talking with the clerks yesterday at Everett and Shilshole the current catch levels of pinks are tracking a week to 10 days ahead of that in 2011. It should be game on in a big way by the end of the next week through out the sound.

Curt
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +750 / 2
    Not fly related but we got pinks yesterday scratching bottom in 120 fow while fishing for kings. Was really surprised to find them crawling along bottom at those depths.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.