Who owns a levee or dike?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Smith, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Greg Smith Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I have come across several levees on the Yakima River that are posted or have fences across them. Since these are built with government funds, I would think there would be a public easement.
    Anybody have any knowledge about this?

Greg
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,541 / 0
    Can't tell you about the Yak but up here on the Skagit the dikes are posted by the attending dike district and they say No Trespassing. I have often wondered how a dike district which gets its funding from the public can deny that public access to its own dikes. Never made sense to me.
  3. CLO #FlyFishingWithSasquatch

Seattle
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Same deal on the lower skagit. No trespassing on the dikes...BS.
  4. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +456 / 0
    Farmers. No single group is more favored by local politicians and by codes than they are. No single industry is given more. Dikes are generally there for them. That's my 2 pennies.

Go Sox,
    cds
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    That is because it was farmers that orginally homesteaded the land, cleared it, and built the original dikes. No mystery here. Johnny come latelys always bitch about those that were there first.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,392 / 0
    Although dikes are often posted, if they were constructed - recently, not originally - with public funds, like the Corps of Engineers, then the public can access them. A person might be arrested and even charged, but if taken to court, will be cleared. That's roughly what I got from the Corps. Dike districts, like corporations everywhere, want public subsidies for private profit.

Sg
    Chris Johnson and Dan Nelson like this.
  7. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Those would be some old farmers, even here in the relatively young PNW.
    Farmers tend to be exempt from regulations that every other group needs to comply with, especially environmental (wetlands, stormwater, groundwater protection etc). I work with them daily. As a group they are the most entittled that I work for, by a longshot. The thought that any rule would apply to them is outrageous. When rules do apply, a call to any local poitician is usually quite effective. It's what it is. Lefties love 'em, righties love 'em and society is willing to treat them different fronm all other industrys. That's how I see it, every day.

Go Sox,
    cds
  8. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    The answer to your question is "It depends". Instead of falling on the "public funding sword right off the bat, you might try phoning the responsible agency, or showing up at their office, and asking permission? They're sometimes posted to keep folks from dangerous situations and protect that public investment...
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I guess the dam operators don't get special treatment. Nor do the mining or the logging industries or the construction industry. None of them are treated differently by the politicians. Shit runs downstream, literaly. Everything that happens on the river runs downstream and ends up at the farmers doorstep where they take the blame for all of the ills of the other user groups. Who has the largest lobbies? Is the logging industry? The power companies? Perhaps the developers? I know for a fact it isn't the farmers. They don't have the money to lobby. Most are struggeling to stay afloat even with the dikes. You may work with them daily, I work for them daily. It is a wonder there are any left.
  10. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    i dont care if a dyke says no or not if i wanna get to that wet stuff i will find away to dip my rod in it
    Chris Johnson and plaegreid like this.
  11. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +282 / 0

#yolo
    Evan Virnoche likes this.
  12. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    I have never owned a dyke. I have considered a couple in my younger years but opted out after the initial walk thru...
    Evan Virnoche likes this.
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    I see it 180 degrees opposite. Farmers are loved by all and generally can pollute at will. In Whatcom county we have 2 large aquifers polluted by farming activity. We have special rules for Drayton Harbor shellfish for everyone but farmers. The vast majority (I'd say 99%) of the pollution in Drayton Harbor is from farms. We have stringent stormwater reg's for residences and buildings...unless they are ag and then they are exempt. Critical area reg's exempt lands that are currently farmed. Fire requirements? Exempt. Nutrient management plans for dairies are a joke, when they are followed. Seasonal manure application closures are routinely ignored.

I find it amazing that we all are so concerned with coal dust from railroads and ignore manure disposal. It's funny stuff.

Hope your doing well Kerry.

Go Sox,
    cds
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  14. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    jeremy your avitar is gold
    Irafly likes this.
  15. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    Kerry, I knew a professional Forester that also owned an orchard. I asked him about the laws regarding farming and forestry. He just laughed and said that IF he managed his timberlands to the same standards as his orchard he would be thrown in jail!! His basic comment was that farmers had NO environmental standards compared to Forestry operations.

Getting back to lobbyists and public lands.....here is my list after 40 years as a Forester most of which were for Federal agencies in order of their lobbying effectiveness and getting something for nothing!! List is in order.

1) Most effective in not paying their fair share......Other Government Agencies. Special mention to the city of Seattle for stealing thousands of acres of Federal land worth millions from the Federal Government!! Hell, I know of one state agency that not only doesn't pay a fee for their "facilities".....they never even got a permit@!!!!

2) Ranchers.....Oh, why was cow free in 93 just a dream. Love the smell of cow manure in a stream early in the morning.

3) Cell Phone and other Telecommunication companies their fair share is only 50 cents on the dollar.

4) Ski Resorts....after getting Congress to significantly to lower their fees. They called a special meeting for Federal agencies to explain how the agencies were going to implement the new lower fees!! The meeting was made mandatory attendance by the agency.

5) Summer Home Owners......60 minutes used it for a "Fleecing of America" segment.

6) Campground Concessionaire Operators....Breshnev doctrine applied. Once campgrounds moved to concessionaire operation they could never be moved back to government management.

7) Mining companies. 1872 law is all that's left. Surprise...surprise when they buy companies and find SuperFund liability for a company that went bankrupt in 1940 and has disappeared in history.

8) Logging Companies and lumber mills. The small businesses have gone and disappeared. You can't lobby someone if you no longer exist. Weyerhauser and Plum Creek lobbied FOR restricting harvest on public lands in the background. They have done fairly well.

Kerry, hope this helps......Is there anybody missing a public teat??
    Dan Nelson and Irafly like this.
  16. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    In King County the levees and revetments are in a mix of ownership and management. I would expect a similar situation in Kittitas but I'm anything but certain.
  17. Jim Paget Member

Ratings: +23 / 0
    I believe that dike districts, rather than being funded by State general funds, are funded by assessments on the members of district, i.e., those properties which are protected by the dikes.
  18. Trustfunder Active Member

rock creek
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    I have the same issues, how can a taxpayer built dam monitored by the DNRC have an irrigation district de-water a river that has flows from as high as 10KCfs in spring to 40Cfs in late summer? At the very least there should be minimal flows instituted on the river but the irrigation district runs the DNRC I suspect. Don't quite got it figured out who's greasing who's wheel here but grease needs to hit the fan.
  19. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Thank you, and thank you Itchy Dog for doing the photoshop job on the pics!
  20. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I may be to close to this issue but I also work for an organic farm who does as much as it can to limit pollution and contamination of its land. The worst thing I see used is lime. We even weed by hand.
    Chris Johnson likes this.