Why is everyone selling Sage One's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by William Wallace, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

saving money for Sage number 2

2. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

..and speaking of "getting the word out".. new Sage models coming in August.
    There, I 've done my part in creating some hype...

Kaiserman and David Dalan like this.
  3. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Four of my favorite rods are Scotts from 20 years ago. They put a lot of feel into the cast, and they look truly handcrafted. They have proven to be quite durable as well. These four artisanal, internal-ferruled beauties cost me a total of less than one new high-end rod would. I don't care about a warranty, because I'm really careful.

shotgunner likes this.
  4. little rod

little rod Member

Let me say the "ONE" is a fine rod. I threw it and liked it for the short to medium length casts. The longer casts however, the rod seems to buckle. I was told you cannot muscle the rod.
    Headhunters fly shop did a shoot out with the One and a Hardy. I thought it was interesting they had the same results and used the same terminology "buckle" If you can make those long casts and can reach those risers your friends can't reach, you won't like this rod.

5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Maybe another reason could be like me....I caught the bamboo bug, can't and won't ever recover from it! My plastic rods are collecting dust...including my Sage!

William Wallace likes this.
  6. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Little Rod,

Not sure which one they were casting but I cast the 9'6" 5wt and well would be nothing to cast the full line and more. Now the 10' 5wt was not as power full or should I say consistent for me, but who really is going to cast a full line all day long? I like the 9'6" to 10' and the ONE, I really liked out of all I have cast in awhile.

As you said you can not muscle the rod. Short crisp stroke, keep tip high, stopping at 12 O'clock lower to 1 o'clock, double haul forward, again keeping tip at around 10 o'clock on forward and shoot, easily I was able to shoot line consistently with extreme distance with the 9'6" 5wt. It was natural for me to cast.

If I could afford I would buy it in a heartbeat.

William

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    You could hint it would be a good retirement gift.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

They are in bussiness to sell fishing tackle, people buy the new stuff because they think it will make them cast better, The truth be known a shitty cast is still a shitty cast ,no matter what rod they use

William Wallace likes this.
  9. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Zen,

During the Lynwood show I was going around to all the dealers letting them know that I was retiring and things would be a great gift!

Well I came out empty handed!

Still going to hit up George Cook for a Sage ONE! I tried Allen, Hardy, Anderson and cant remember all, it was a try!

William

10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Honestly - the ONE is an awesome rod. People who don't agree either don't like fast rods, or they exhibit a typical poverty mentality and hate everything they can't buy. Fine.

One pretty big problem with the ONE is that it really feels way better overlined by at least a line weight. Sage and Rio really need to figure this shit out and stop messing around. It's maddening. The Sage 5wt requires a 6wt SA line. However, the Rio Gold is known to be a full line weight HEAVIER so it'd match up. WTF.

This is the one major complaint I have with Sage. They need to use industry standards on this shit. I bet half of the rods on the classifieds are from people who can't cast an underlined ONE and don't feel like committing to trying a bunch of lines to dial it in.

Too bad - once you do find the "magic" line there isn't a rod that compares in performance and accuracy. They're little cannons.

Jeff Sawyer and William Wallace like this.
  11. Porter

Porter Active Member

ummm.... well.. there seems to be a camp out there of notable dudes who think the Scott Radian is second to none! Cant comment but maybe some day :D

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Very good point about matching rods to lines, or vise versa. Over a decade ago a friend told me about his favorite trout rod, a GLoomis 3 wt. It cast perfectly with a WF5F on it.

I've come to believe that poor casting technique and stiff-as-a-fireplace-poker graphite fly rods are responsible for the majority of tendinitis and bursitis cases in the fly fishing fraternity. I don't understand why fishermen are so wowed by rods that can cast a country mile. I've never caught a trout a country mile away, so WTF?

Sg

13. PT

PT Physhicist

Casting a country mile sounds cool on the internet.

Kaiserman, Mike Ediger and scottybs like this.
  14. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

What about just using grain window charts (like the one Rio provides) and forgetting all the "weight" stuff?

Alexander and Kaiserman like this.
  15. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    The only two rods I bought without thoroughly testing was a Sage TCR, and the Loomis GLX. I bought both because they were; 1. new, 2. I thought i wanted super fast stick for punching streamers off of the beaches and fishing sink tips,3. and I wanted another rod, 4.I got sucked into the marketing.

The TCR is the least used rod that I have, even though I love the look of it. It is far harder on my wrist than any other rod I have cast, with the one exception being the GLX. I bought the GLX, fished it for about 2 months, sold it and bought a GL3 which I knew was a better fit for me from fishing it for months already.

I almost exclusively buy only used rods now. I never buy ultra fast rods anymore. I generate far more power from the well timed snap of a slower rod.

16. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

No way would I sell my Z-axis

17. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

Not when you have to pay $$$ when you break them, I buy ALL of my rods on clearance. And yes I know that most of the breaks are my fault, but it's nice having that insurance policy.

18. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

Yeah and trying to mend a "country mile" long cast on moving water, let alone getting a good hook see, good flipping luck!

19. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    This guy gets it.

little rod likes this.
  20. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Me neither ...
    In fact I hope to add a couple more to my quiver to keep my 3wt and 5wt company ! :D

scottybs likes this.