NFR Wild Turkeys in Town

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Aug 23, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

There are lots of wild critters that reside in Corvallis (other than just Beavers :)). Deer, racoons, possums, coyotes and bear and cougar in the nearby forests.

I take our dog, Mia, to a dog park in a meadow not far from our place each Saturday morning. On the way to the park this morning, I noticed four wild turkeys along a heavily traveled, primary street. When we reached the park, there were eight in the forest at one side of the park. They were not afraid of me or Mia. I could have walked up to the turkeys and whacked them with a rock.

I've heard that the turkeys have become a problem for the residents. I'm not sure what the problem is but I do know that turkeys are a mean lot (a friend had a pet turkey when I was growing up the sucker would peck the hell out of you).

Considering the wild turkeys are not afraid of traffic, humans or dogs, what's up with the turkey hunters dressing in camo from head to toe to shoot the birds? I mean really, the pilgrims didn't hunt for turkeys while wearing camo.

After the incident today, I'm beginning to think that the camo requirement for hunting wild turkey is a scam from Cabela's. Not only do they push camo, they push camo in a huge range of trees and foliage. Evidently, you can't get away with just wearing camouflage boots, socks, jacket, hat and underwear to hunt wild turkeys, you need to be wearing the correct tree.

Marketing indicates that you need to match the foliage of each area you hunt. That makes for a lot of sales in different variety of tees. Very clever, those Cabela's folks.

So for you conspiracy types, here's another one for you. The great Camo Conspiracy for hunting wild turkey. If you plan to hunt for the birds in Corvallis, you'd do best if you wore camo that looked like a residential area or a street with vehicles. I'll alert the marketing guys at Cabela's. Most likely they'll come up with camo for different streets and residential areas of the city.

:)

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Gene, I have one (Wild Turkey) that lives in the cabinet in my tying room.
    He has been beat up pretty bad and almost dead, but I know where I can find another.

BUT, and there is always an ugly but, I never tie flies in camo. No matter what tree is in vogue.
    I tried tying in the nude, but my Wife said that was a real no no. Besides, those hooks are sharp.

Lugan likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You probably scared here. She probably never saw anything that ugly in the light.

4. Olive bugger

You are probably correct, Jim. :)

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I started a thread a few years ago after I was attacked by a Tom. Yeah, they are mean especially this time of year. They are also stupid. Be careful of the claws if attacked.

6. kmac

kmac Active Member

When I was 4, I was wandering alone in the woods behind our house when I stumbled into a flock of turkeys. I was terrified and they looked mean. :eek: They came right at me and I thought they would kill me. To a 4 year old who had never seen a wild turkey they looked like dinosaurs (remember the velociraptors in Jurassic Park). I ran like hell and they chased me all the way back to my house. I have a shotgun I use for trap shooting. Maybe I should take up turkey hunting so I can have closure to this traumatic childhood memory.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Kmac, I know where there are some wild turkeys if you want closure for that traumatic childhood memory... no camo required .. or a shotgun, a rock will do:)

kmac likes this.
  8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

"Gangs" of gobblers wandering the streets of Dayton are fairly commonplace & some of them can be pretty aggressive. When I was a kid, old man Kelly had an orchard on the south side of town that produced the best crab apples. It was also patrolled by a huge Tom Turkey that was prone to sneak-up on youngsters like silent death. Kelly's apple trees didn't get raided very often & I have it on good authority that when a gobbler lays into you, it hurts!

9. Olive bugger

Maybe you could keep them around until the 27th of November.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

As I understand it, wild turkey tastes nothing like a Butterball.

11. Olive bugger

Especially of they are full of shot.

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I didn't think so either, Gene & turkey hunting just didn't appeal to me. I managed to harvest a nice Tom, but I prefer to watch a dog work and then miss my game birds while they're flying . . .

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Turkeys fear me as I look at them like I want to pluck their feathers..

14. Olive bugger

There is a thought, Gene. Plucked Turkey plumage for flies.

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Charlie, that was the first thing I thought of.... but I couldn't find a suitable rock....

16. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Have you trained Mia to attack and kill? Something simple like "MIA.... kill". Instant turkey feathers even if it's a near miss.

17. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Well, I could make the same case for deer hunting. I've had as many as 12 in my front yard, eating up my plants and tearing the trees apart sharpening their antlers. I shoot them multiple times with my slingshot but they won't leave the yard. I think it is just like the turkeys, they have read the regulations and know they are safe!

18. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Mia is the least intelligent border collie mix I've ever known. Our previous border collie mix was the smartest. Poor Mia had a hard act to follow.

It is unlikely I could convince her to attack anything when she won't even pick up her own Frisbee when she drops it somewhere. She is not the sharpest tool in the border collie shed. A sweetheart dog but dumb as a box of rocks.

19. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

"Charlie, that was the first thing I thought of.... but I couldn't find a suitable rock.... "

Gene....sounds a lot like fishing ;)

20. Olive bugger

All that beautiful plumage running wild in the streets of Corvallis!

There is no justice, I tell you.