wildest storys that are true

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, May 16, 2013.

  1. Back in the late 50's we used to use salmon eggs that were packed in oil. One morning while steelhead fishing my Dad was making a cast and his hands were oily from the eggs, when he made the cast the rod reel went sailing out of his hand into the river. He then started looking around for a way to retrieve his rod. I came up to the spot started dragging my hook across the bottom and was able to hook his rod, which I was then able to retreive. I handed the rod to my Dad and he clicked the bail closed and we continued to fish. The whole incident from beginning to line retrivalwas about 5 minutes.
  2. It isn't that uncommon to hook a chum salmon that has a spinner in its mouth but back when the chum run was still huge on the Oregon Coast, I hooked a chum with a spinner in its mouth -- but the neat trick was that the fly point was snagged in the eye of the spinner.

    What's the chances of snagging a salmon by hooking the eye of a broken off spinner?
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. I hooked a Great Blue Heron last year as I let my forward cast fly. It was late, pre-twilight dusky low light stuff. I felt horrified as soon as I let the cast go and saw the GBH flying in from my left. I immediately had to decide whether or not to try and fight it in and get the hook out, or try and break it off. It was a strong enough flyer that it was going airborne despite the drag of the line and reel. I opted to try and break it off. The thought of getting in melee range with a bird the same size as myself wasn't appealing, especially since it was getting dark fast. It was also making all manner of noise, and if you've never heard a GBH squawking, it's reminiscent of a pterodactyl raping a chicken.

    So, while it was airborne, I straightened the rod and pulled hard as if I were trying to break free from a snag. The tippet didn't break and the bird immediately fell thirty feet straight into the water. I was again horrified. It again went airborne without much effort and continued its noisy tirade, which I was sure was bringing every federal environmental agent within 3,000 miles running to put me in jail for fucking with this majestic and protected bird.

    At this point I realized I wasn't going to break it off unless the bird was in the water. I needed resistance. So again I yarded on the line, and again it dropped straight down into the water. At which point I immediately tightened it up and yanked on that motherfucker like I was the Hulk. And it broke off. I immediately reeled in my stuff, and got the hell out of there.
  4. Another story. I almost had a muskrat on my line at Rocky Ford on Wednesday night. I thought he'd swim over the line, but no... he was pushing it with his mouth/head. I'm glad there was no hookup.

    I don't think he would have gotten me into my backing but the short distance tussle might have taken a while.
  5. At Chopaka last year, a ruddy duck swam across my fishing buddy's line as he was retrieving his fly, and somehow got securely hooked up. The duck was successfully netted and released after a brief struggle.
    Kcahill and Stew McLeod like this.
  6. The only bird I've hooked yet was at 3 Buck Bridge on The Madison. I was fishing a size 18 parachute Adams and a swift flew down and took the fly off the surface. I had a heck of a time landing the tiny bird and was only able to cutt off the tippet material to finally release the poor guy. I have no idea if he made it or not but I kind'a doubt if he did.

    I'm surprised it isn't more common that birds take our flies when the birds are feeding on duns.

    I have a rule when it comes to flying critters that eat insects... when the bats start showing up in the evening is when I leave the water.
  7. When I was 10 or so I was fishing with my dad up by Orcas Island I think (so long ago I dont remember where exactly) we where ling cod fishing, using the big ass 3 or 4 pound jig head hook, the whole drop it down to the bottom and reel up 3 or 4 turns routine. I drop my line hits bottom reel up about half a turn and feel my line jump ever so slightly, I yard up on the line to set the hook and nothing. I tell my dad I think I have a fish, he snatchs my pole and gives it a feel and says no nothing their. About 30 minutes go by and my pole bends over like a damn orca is on the other end, I fight the fish for about 10-15 minutes before I tire out. My dad takes over and probably 10 minutes later a massive lingcod comes to the surface. Easily the size of me at the time (weighed in around 50lbs if I remember correctly) We get it into the boat, and what do you know, in its mouth is a tiny (8in) rock fish hooked right in the spine below is dorsal fin. But the best part of the story, the lingcod ws never actually hooked it just wouldn't let go of the rock fish. The best we could figure out is maybe the spines on the rock fish kept it from pulling free out of the cods throat but I guess we will never know. So next time you go cod fishing I challenge you to try catching one without actually hooking it.
  8. This incident happened early one morning in August 2012 on a Puget Sound tributary. Anyhow, I was fishing a Ska-opper pattern when I felt a sudden increase in line tension. For just a split second, I thought that a steelhead had taken my fly. When I look downriver, I was both shocked and horrified to discover a beaver with my line trailing behind it. Not knowing what the hell to do, I simply followed. At this point, I didn’t know whether the beaver had somehow become entangled in my fly line, or if it had simply been hooked by my fly. It took a couple of minutes, but after figuring out that I had only hooked it, I decided to give my line a sharp, swift yank. This worked, and I ended up getting my line back with all but a 1 foot section of tippet missing. To say the least, I was concerned about any harm that I might have caused it. Fortunately, I observed what I am pretty sure was the same beaver swimming through the run, when I returned to the following weekend.
  9. My wife and I were fishing a small put n take lake several years ago. The weekend before we were fishing some unfortunate soul swamped his boat and drowned in the lake. While we were fishing my wife had a mighty strike and hook up which doubled her rod. After a few minutes of struggle she reeled in a nice Fenwick spinning rod and reel. She swore it was the guy's that had drown a few days prior and wouldn't touch it and who knows she could be right. I still have that rod and reel in the garage much to my wife's chagrin. To this day she swears it is the dead guy's rod.
    smallieFanatic likes this.
  10. after fishing Walupt lake, i kicked a bear in the butt, south of Packwood "many" years ago and treed it after it crossed a logging road and trotted off, not knowing i was chasing it...maybe a two year old, dunno what i was thinking, but i got a cool picture of it, in the tree.
  11. I saw a big brown eat a duckling at Pass Lake one day. Not catching a thing, I was bored and staring at a mother duck with a train of ducklings and counted them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... a few seconds later a huge splash occurred at the back of the duckling train and when they were all done scurrying away I counted again... 6. Of course I immediately started thinking about how one would tie a duckling pattern.
  12. I've caught 7 ducks and 1 seagull. All on gear. Seagulls fight better. There like the tarpon of the avian world.
    Thom Collins and BASS_TURDS like this.
  13. Most of my reels once belonged to guys who are now dead. Tell her to think of it like saving the family of having to sell it at his estate sale. :)
  14. In my early years of chucking iron in the Chicago area, I would fish in a alot of the shallow lakes along the tollway they dug to make the overpasses. One set of them had been dug out near the airport and were owned by a gravel company. A kid had drowned in one of them so they fenced them and were pretty good about keeping little shits like me out. I got motivated after a couple of years because the bass were getting big and stupid with no fishing pressure and nobody working gravel near these ponds.

    I started getting up early and sneaking into the area to fish early. One Wednesday no one was around so I fished later than usual because I was killing the bass on spoons. I had lost four or five spoons in the same spot but was catching bass in the same area on almost every cast. I finally landed a four pounder and was thinking a few more casts - then beat it out of there before one of the hard hats grabbed me and turned me over to Detective White who was (shall we say) familiar with my file.

    Next cast, I snagged up again with my last spoon (a favorite). I decided to swim down before I left and retrieve as many as I could find. Stripped to my skivs and dove in. The water was fairly clear in these quarries, viz maybe ten to fifteen feet. Lots of accumulated junk on the bottom including some car and truck skeletons. I see a couple of my spoons on the first car and grabbed them. To the surface for an O2 recharge then dove back to the second car to get the rest of my spoons.

    Now the good part. In the second car, behind the wheel and in the passenger seat were two guys. Been there a while, but not long enough. I must have looked like a Polaris sub coming out of the water and as I am trying to get dressed (shakin' and unable to use any form of motor skills) - the cops show up - the hard hats had ratted me out for tresspassin'.

    The cops questioned me for about a week off and on - completely ruined my summer fishing because Detective White told me (actually convinced me) that if I got caught again fishing in the private ponds, he was personally going to drive me to St. Charles. This was a notorious (to me anyway) home for some of the boys I knew who had really crossed lines that shouldn't have been crossed.

    I can still picture the car and the passengers and every time I see a rusted car body near the water I need zippered waders ASAP!
    Irafly, Rich Schager and Dorylf like this.
  15. Fishing off a dock in the Finger Lakes New York. the license allows two poles.

    So I have one line out with a bobber and worm, and I am casting a floating plug with the other, at dusk.

    While reeling in the plug I see the bobber go down, so set the plug rod down and pick up the other and ultimately land a northern pike.

    The dock is a little high so I walk the fish to shore where I can take a picture and unhook it. I dont plan to keep it.

    The hook is firmly planted in the corner of its mouth, and before I manage to get it out, it flips and cuts the leader, so I point it out toward the lake and it slowly swims away.

    As its getting dark, I tidy up my rod and gear box, and then walk out to the end of the dock to reel in other rod with the plug.

    The lines not tight. but something is weird for sure.

    I finally get in a tangle of line and then the plug with a passive pike on it.

    Sure enough, my bait hook from worm fishing is right there in the corner of its mouth.

  16. Fishing near the mouth of a coastal river with a guy using a level wind and salmon rod. He gets a solid hit, sets hard, and in an instant realizes he's hooked a sea lion.

    It peels line like nothing you've ever seen and bakes the reel before finally snapping off.

    That might be enough to qualify to be included here in this thread, but it leaves out the best part: The guy is the executive director of the Humane Society.

    He swore us all to secrecy under pain of death...

    ... Oh, crap! I hope he doesn't read this.

    Eric Denny likes this.
  17. Here's one that involves my good fishing buddy, John.

    Back before he met me and he became hot and heavy into flyfishing, he was using gear to fish for steelhead on The Siletz. At his favorite hole, he thought he was snagged on the bottom but then realized he had hooked something. He reeled it in and it was a steelhead he had snagged. However, it was chrome bright and gutted. Evidently, whoever fished the hole just before he arrived must have caught the steelhead, gutted it and then somehow dropped it back into the river.

    You can't beat that. A bright, pre-gutted steelhead.
    Thom Collins likes this.
  18. I was fishing the Cowlitz about 6 yrs ago. I was fishing the islands below blue creek. I hook and land a steelhead. I fish for another 30 minutes and hook up again. This is a coho, my friend nets the fish and we go back up to our gear. He gets back in the water and i deal with my fish and marking my catch record etc. I get back in the water and my very next cast... fish on, another coho, he again helps me land it... i deal with the fish and catch record ect.

    I take a drink off my beer and say, 'it would be great to get another one'... next cast, fish on!, my friend says 'screw you' net your own fish. I take it down river and land the coho. I come back up to our gear shaking my head in amazement. I take a few minutes break, I get back up from my chair after finishing my beer. At this point i am 3 for 3 on consecutive casts.... I wonder if i can get another ? I cast out into the river and come back with no fish. The streak is over, we laugh and i tell him how amazing that was to get 3 fish on 3 casts. I cast out again, WHAMMO, fish on!. My friend about comes unglued. Its not a coho, its a steelhead. I am fighting the fish and my friend cast over my line and snags into my fish. We are laughing at this point and both bringing the fish to shore. At the shoreline, my hook comes out and back into the river the fish goes with my friend now fighting it. He lands it, we sit down and have another beer and talk about my 4 fish on 5 casts. I tie up a lure for a guy fishing above us that hasn't touched a fish all day. His very first cast, he hooks and lands a steelhead. It was a stellar day on the Cowlitz. I have the pics, memories, and my good friend being a witness to this 100% true story.
  19. A few years ago I was watching my buddies pontoon boat float down the deschutes toward me with him know where in sight. Priceless! The time Brian Silvey asked if we left a backpack with a reel and journal at the launch point. My buddies looks at the back. Says he has one just like it, takes the reel out, looks at it and politely gives it back. Nope not mine he says. Good think I saw Brian the next morning to ask him for the bag. This was the day after he lost his pontoon boat.

    My first year fishing,my brother in law took me coho fishing on the sandy river. He took two rods and I took one. As we are hiking in I ask why did you take two rods? You will see he said. We fished for a bit before I got hung up. Gave a good tug and wham! Busted rod. He looks at me and says that's why, long walk back to the truck.
  20. These are great story's I have really enjoyed readying them. I knew if I asked a question like this I would get a ton of answers!! Boy its true fishermen love to tell story's!!! And I guess we love to hear them to.!!

Share This Page