Williamette Valley creek fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Terry Bare, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Hey I am moving to the Williamette valley in the beginning of October and was wondering if anyone has fished the small creeks dumping into the williamette river or any other lakes? Any help would be great. I am not looking for the rivers, just the small creeks and ponds. Thanks
    Old Man likes this.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,704 / 0
    There are many, many small creeks that eventually dump into the Willamette that hold resident trout. The Willamette Valley is a tad large. Where are you moving?
  3. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    I am moving to Independence Oregon so just out side of Salem. I would like to fish for maybe some warm water fish in the valley too if there are any. I understand that there is some reading to do for research and not asking for that special rock or bush to fish from. Thank you
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Independence is a good spot for small rivers. I'll send you a PM but I suggest you purchase an Oregon Gazetteer so you can locate the rivers I mention.

With these two publications, you can figure out where to fish in all of Oregon :)

Oregon Atlas and Gazetteer

[IMG]

Fishing in Oregon

[IMG]
  5. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    you'll be in a good locale to locally fish the east slope Coast Range creeks and small rivers. You also be less than an hour from several good coastal streams and estuaries that offer varying degrees of success on SRC and fairly decent runs of metal. There are several small bodies of water right around Independence that offer warm water species as well as the Willamette itself. You will have tons of fun exploration ahead of you.

And hey, there's a Burgerville in Independence, can't be all bad
    Mike Ediger and Terry Bare like this.
  6. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Thanks Davy,
    I am looking forward to some small town living .. After leaving western washington 3 years ago I have been in big cities. People ... Yikes ! I am going to check out the Burgerville tho
    that sounds tasty. It is fun to figure out new places to go fishing and to get access. Do you know of a good fly club.. ?
  7. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,086 / 0
    Man now you got me craving a burgerville shake.

Damnit.
    Mike Ediger, FinLuver and Terry Bare like this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Terry, there is a very active fly club in Salem... I've done presentations for them in the past and the members are a hoot.

Here's the info:

Santiam Flycasters

P.O. Box 691
    Salem, OR 97308
    Meets: Second Thursday at Pringle Hall Community Center, 606 Church St. SE (behind Salem Hospital); social hour 6:00-7:00, meeting at 7:00 p.m.
    www.santiamflycasters.com
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    A man after my own heart. I live in Blue Ribbon Mecca and I always search out the small streams and creeks.

I have the Beaverhead and the Big Hole very close. The Madison is just a short haul away. Nothing is more fun that a small Skinny water.
    Joe Goodfellow and Terry Bare like this.
  10. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Gene,
    Thank you for the information on the fly club. I will be getting involved as soon as I can.

Old Man,
    I do like small creek fishing. Not only is it relaxing but usually uncrowded too. The small creeks can be a good challenge too for getting the cutts to bite.
    Thanks guys.
  11. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    yeah right now they got local raspberry shakes. Earlier we had deep fried asparagus and then the huge walla walla onion rings. yeah, Burgerville is a good thing.

For a fly shop I can think of Rich Younger at Creekside in Salem, ( Pringle Plaza) . The is also a flyshop in Albany in the old part of town ( or was)

PM when you get settled
    Terry Bare likes this.
  12. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Thanks Davy I sure will
  13. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Oh yes, Burgerville originated in my home town, Vancouver WA. Loved there fish and chips and onion rings.
  14. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Besides Creekside Flyfishing in Salem (http://creeksideflyfishing.com/) ...you have Two Rivers Fly Shop in Albany (http://www.tworiversflyshop.biz/index.htm); Cascadia Fly Shop in Corvallis (http://www.cascadiaflyshop.com/) locally. For a bit of a drive, I like these shops as well...Home Waters Fly Fishing in Eugene (http://www.bing.com/local/Details.aspx?lid=YN722x12538092); The Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene (http://thecaddisfly.com/); and Royal Treatment Fly Fishing Shop in West Linn (http://www.royaltreatmentflyfishing.com/Royal_Treatment_Fly_Fishing/Fly_Shop.html).

Each shop has its own flavor and product selections that I like.

Enjoy
    Terry Bare likes this.
  15. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 8
    Driving from Tillamook to Eugene and back for years, I support this message!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
    FinLuver likes this.
  16. flyrig New Member

In a house
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Fin has some excellent resources for you to check out. All are good folks and focus on different local areas and types of fishing. Also check out the Salem club for sure they have monthly outings and are a good group.
  17. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    I am looking forward to checking out the Salem club. I am on a count down now 36 more days. Cutthroat beware... it is Mr. Bare...bahhaahaa..
    FinLuver likes this.