Wind Waves, Current and Poppers

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Apr 18, 2013.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Picked a wild, wooly and blustery day to fish a couple hours on the beach. The popper looks great on day like this. Turned over a few smallish fish and picked up this snaky searun that must have just come out of it's natal river.

Leland.

Attached Files:

Beachmen, Eyejuggler and Steve Knapp like this.
  2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Headed out on the hunt for new water the next couple of days, can't wait.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Nice work, and good on you for getting out on such a blustery day. I'll bet that those snakey post-spawners have awesome appetites!

4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

No Doubt about the strike

Leland.

5. Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence New Member

I got out on the water on northern Hood canal today a bit before high tide to a spot where I often pick up a fish or two but, no joy. I came back thru that same area after some tidal flow had started but again "no joy". I don't give up easy so I tied on a popper and joy returned. Lots of hits all through the area. I'm a believer Leland. This was also my first fish om my new switch rod as well. That rod is 2;5 feet longer than my boat and a little difficult to handle. I almost had to get out of the boat to land it but what a hoot. All hail the mighty popper!

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Porter

Porter Active Member

So you sayin those poppers really work in all conditions? ...:p

7. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Surf's up, Leland!

I bet it was fun to see the fish come up to whack your popper. No other fly lures in aggressive fish like your popper.

8. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

yes poppers work in all conditions.

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I hit a local beach for bit this morning. Brought one to hand, 14-15", on a chum fry pattern. Saw a few jumpers but out of my range. One other FFer.

MB

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

It was dead calm today on a good outgoing tide. Beautifully bright and slow. Got a popper story though - a good fish boiled and was just about ready to take the fly when a seagull tried to eat it at the same time. I did what I always do in case of seagull attack. I yelled and pulled the fly away. Shit.

Leland.

dryflylarry likes this.