WIND

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Why is it always windy when I want to go fishing on the east side. I bailed last weekend and was going to take today off and do a 3 day'er but not with 30 mph gusts.

I hate the F-en wind, ticks and the high gas prices to get there. Boy I'm getting to be a grumpy old bastard. Time to retire :(
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,663 / 0
    You must have a specific lake in mind.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,019 / 1
    Sunday is forecast at 7mph.

One must learn to love the wind, grasshopper, to overcome.... to adapt....to persevere.

Fish a lake in a hole and not one on an open sand flat.
  4. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    Lucky we're not talking about the Rocky Mountain front. My favorite lake has wind turbines built right on top to the ridge above it. I think it would have some great hatches, but the wind starts blowing there every day about 11:00, just when the midges are coming off. Bad for fly fishing, but the fish there grow an inch a month.
  5. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Rain, Snow, Sleet... are fine, but wind definitely sucks.
  6. aimacart Member

Blaine, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I was a commercial fisherman for 20 years and had to watch the weather all the time. You cannot go just by the predictions or you will not fish that much, sometimes you just have to chance it and go. If you wait for perfect conditions you will only fish a couple times a year. There were allot of times with gale warnings that turned out nice and other times with no wind predicted that turned out to be 40 mph breeze.
    Bob Rankin and Jeff Dodd like this.
  7. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +681 / 0
    I fished a 1wt on a little put & take lake Wednesday in gusty conditions. It was challenging at times, but I still had fun & didn't opt for the 3wt I also took along.

Truer words were never spoken . . .
  8. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I hear you! Wind is pretty fierce today! We fished Limebelt Blue yesterday and did quite well. This has typically been an Eastern Brook lake but it looks like the state planted a ton of Bow's in it last fall. Between me and my buddy, caught about 40 Bow's but no Brookies. Too bad:(, it was such a good Brookie lake!
    Spectacle fishing well too but mostly last fall stockers caught. Hope to see you on the waters over here this season. Top
  9. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    No, actually it blows....:D
    dfl likes this.
  10. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Flathead lake was calm this morning and a raging ocean two hours later. A couple of boaters found themselves in trouble. Luckily, they both made it in okay.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...
  11. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Lenice was OK today. Fished 10-3 or so, windier towards the 3 o'clock time. Earlier the gusts came and went, fishing was better during the windy times. Good day with the chiro rod.

wayne
  12. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +681 / 0
    Flathead can get nasty in a hurry. A lot of folks don't realize how big it is & how treacherous it can be. Glad the folks affected made it out okay.
  13. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0

Yeah, it's windy over here all the time. It's probably better for you to just stay on the wet side. :p
  14. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    I fished Isacks ranch on Wednesday and it was blowing good in the morning then died off to flat calm then 5-15mph here and there. Had a great time.Don't let the wind ruin your good time.
    aimacart and Irafly like this.
  15. Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

Burien, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Weather station on the trailer in, Sun Lakes upper CG, had a sustained gust of 37.3 mph on Saturday! Lake was a swirling punch bowl...!
  16. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Between the wind, Rattlesnakes and the gas to get here, it's not worth making the trip accross the mountains. There is so much better fishing on the west side.
  17. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0

It might have something to do with people saying the W-word, not to mention posting about it with the title in ALL CAPS! (sigh) ;)
  18. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,331 / 0
    McNasty, Enlightened, and I toughed it out Saturday. In one situation,the thirty mph wind actually benefited us.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  19. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +733 / 0
    Think of it this way , The winds chill factor helps keep the beer cold
  20. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,331 / 0
    Not what I was implying, but I like where your head is at:)